Serious Discussion Question for the MT community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
As a bot, I don't have personal experiences. But I can tell you that users have shared instances of financial loss due to malware infection. However, due to privacy concerns, specific details are often not disclosed in these discussions. It's always advisable to have strong security measures to prevent such incidents.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
There were many infection events among MT members, but probably none (if I correctly recall) caused a significant financial loss or identity theft.

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
There is a point to the question of this community. It is that serious financial loss very rarely happens to home users, even among the click-happy security users.

By serious I mean ( Bank funds withdrawn or Identity theft resulted ).

Reactions: Trident

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I would be really surprised if any of the old timers here ever had a serious enough infection after being here for a time and learning about security. New members often join with problems so maybe you can get your answer from one of them. You can also read the forum area dedicated to helping solve infection problems.

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
I would be really surprised if any of the old timers here ever had a serious enough infection after being here for a time and learning about security. New members often join with problems so maybe you can get your answer from one of them. You can also read the forum area dedicated to helping solve infection problems.
Please refer to post number 5, there is a point to the question.

It is to point out that home users are rarely targeted in such events.

Last edited:
Reactions: mlnevese

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
There is a point to the question of this community. It is that serious financial loss very rarely happens to home users, even among the click-happy security users.

I would consider a person like that a home user.

Reactions: Oldie1950

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
I would consider a person like that a home user.
You posted two examples, and my post clearly states "rarely" happens, I'm addressing the folks of this community with the question though as referenced in the OP.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
You posted two examples, and my post clearly states "rarely" happens, I'm addressing the folks of this community with the question though as referenced in the OP.
You mean your second post stats that. You asked for "hat resulted in significant financial loss?" which I would consider fulfilled with 13+20k.
Anyway have fun with your survey.

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
You mean your second post stats that. You asked for "hat resulted in significant financial loss?" which I would consider fulfilled with 13+20k.
Anyway have fun with your survey.
You are correct I should have been more precise when I stated "can anyone here provide". This question is as concise in its directness towards members for this community.

It is to find if anyone in "THIS" community has ever had significant financial loss or Identity theft they suffered from an infection. It is to point out the rarity of this happening to home users and even of the click-happy security users here. It is to address the unrealistic "what ifs" and "just in cases" here among the frenzied unrealistic security postures.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019

Reusing passwords probably causes this more often than anything else.

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
Reusing passwords probably causes this more often than anything else.
Post 11 probably sums up best what I'm trying to get at here with the question. Not one single user here in this community has posted they have suffered such events. They all have different levels of knowledge and use different security set ups and combinations/configurations. The question is related to the security stances chosen among the members here that feel there is never enough security and approach it with almost a frenzied state addressing things with "what if" or "just in case".

Reactions: blackice

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
The "what if" or "just in case" postures did not describe what I was stating? Or the fact that every time something happens in the news the frenzied are looking to layer and deploy security settings so strict they can not function without having to disable something or borking their systems. Unrealistic responses to these "could be's".

What if I rephrase this entire thread to state that even security/enterprise companies state that 90% of threats now days come from email attachments. That literally learning to recognize this and how to verify downloads and fake websites instead of being lazy and relying on security software to save you from yourself will more then likely negate any issues you may ever have with good habits in place.

I mean even enterprise companies realize this.

Screenshot_20240425-195117.png

Back on topic though, is the question of the thread to any users "here in this community" that have been infected and suffered this loss. Only those users that have should be responding to this thread. It is to stress a point about the "what ifs" and the odds of actual issues taking place. Which judging by responses so far have pointed to exactly what I'm stating, as not one user has come forward stating that have suffered this type of issue here.

• +Reputation

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
The question is not addressed to the right audience. The members of this forum should actually be so careful and well equipped with AV programs that an infection should not occur. ;)
The whole point is that the statistics show that even the most ignorant users that behave and do things in a completely insecure way rarely have any serious consequences from their behaviors & actions.

Practical Response

Level 9
Thread author
Mar 10, 2024
@Practical Response
I had hoped that you would give examples of so called frenzied unrealistic security postures you've seen on this forum.
Are you providing response to the thread topic, are you stating you have suffered such financial loss or Identity theft, if not you should not be responding to this thread attempting to pick apart and derail the topic. If you need examples of what you are asking just look around the forum.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
The question is not addressed to the right audience. The members of this forum should actually be so careful and well equipped with AV programs that an infection should not occur. ;)
Although an interesting question, I agree with Oldie1950, this is like asking the inhabitants of Beverly Hills whether they have trouble making ends meet and drawing the conclusion that poverty is not an issue in the US of A.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.