Advice Request Question regarding ad on a page

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Hello :)

Please do advise if I should post/move this post elsewhere.

My question is more about learning than it is about the answer to the question per se. Basically, I am running uBlock origin, and I see a 'visa' add on this site - I am wondering if others see it too, and if not, is it do to your different configurations of ublock? Or running other addons or configurations such as DNS-level block?

GZERO Media

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hello :)

Please do advise if I should post/move this post elsewhere.

My question is more about learning than it is about the answer to the question per se. Basically, I am running uBlock origin, and I see a 'visa' add on this site - I am wondering if others see it too, and if not, is it do to your different configurations of ublock? Or running other addons or configurations such as DNS-level block?

GZERO Media

I'm also using uBlock Origin and even with default filters, no ads are visible here on Edge and Firefox. Please you may can take a screenshot? :unsure:

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Yes sir one minute.

Attachments

• brave_onDq7Xct7h.png
    brave_onDq7Xct7h.png
    935 KB · Views: 141
Reactions: silversurfer

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, it's a large ad visible if you scroll down the page. I see it. What I do in these cases is use the Element Zapper. Poof, gone. I took a snip of it here:

adedge.png

Click on the uBO icon at top then highlight what you want to zap, and click on the little electrical symbol.

ubozapper.png

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
Yes, it's a large ad visible if you scroll down the page. I see it. What I do in these cases is use the Element Zapper. Poof, gone. I took a snip of it here:

Click on the uBO icon at top then highlight what you want to zap, and click on the little electrical symbol.

Cool thanks! I guess this is one way of doing it...
I suppose this is a different type of ad - it's a none-changing ad as if it was part of the web-site - i think that's the reason why its not blocked...its my amateur two cents

Reactions: plat

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Thank you all, now I understand the reason and to tackle such things in the future. Not ad-blocker or anyone/anything's fault =)
If you block something by accident and want to undo it. Go to uBlock dashboard and click on "My Filters" tab and remove the line/rule then click apply.
The item you blocked should show again after your refresh the page.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
The Zapper is pretty much only good as a one-shot deal. Next time you visit the page, that ad or another will likely be back. The Picker, which is the eye=dropper symbol next the the Zapper, will generate more permanent rules in the "My Rules" section of the uBO dashboard like The_King already said.

Ads like this Visa-sponsored content can be generated via script and/or hosted on temporary sub-domains that can change periodically and if that's the case, uBlock Origin's static filters can't keep up with that.

One source

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.