Q&A Question regarding ad on a page

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 2, 2018
Hello :)

Please do advise if I should post/move this post elsewhere.

My question is more about learning than it is about the answer to the question per se. Basically, I am running uBlock origin, and I see a 'visa' add on this site - I am wondering if others see it too, and if not, is it do to your different configurations of ublock? Or running other addons or configurations such as DNS-level block?

GZERO Media

silversurfer

Level 84
Verified
Helper
Top poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Hello :)

Please do advise if I should post/move this post elsewhere.

My question is more about learning than it is about the answer to the question per se. Basically, I am running uBlock origin, and I see a 'visa' add on this site - I am wondering if others see it too, and if not, is it do to your different configurations of ublock? Or running other addons or configurations such as DNS-level block?

GZERO Media

I'm also using uBlock Origin and even with default filters, no ads are visible here on Edge and Firefox. Please you may can take a screenshot? :unsure:

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 2, 2018
Yes sir one minute.

Attachments

• brave_onDq7Xct7h.png
    brave_onDq7Xct7h.png
    935 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: silversurfer

plat1098

Level 27
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, it's a large ad visible if you scroll down the page. I see it. What I do in these cases is use the Element Zapper. Poof, gone. I took a snip of it here:

adedge.png

Click on the uBO icon at top then highlight what you want to zap, and click on the little electrical symbol.

ubozapper.png

dabluez98

Level 3
Thread author
Oct 2, 2018
Yes, it's a large ad visible if you scroll down the page. I see it. What I do in these cases is use the Element Zapper. Poof, gone. I took a snip of it here:

Click on the uBO icon at top then highlight what you want to zap, and click on the little electrical symbol.

Cool thanks! I guess this is one way of doing it...
I suppose this is a different type of ad - it's a none-changing ad as if it was part of the web-site - i think that's the reason why its not blocked...its my amateur two cents

Reactions: plat1098

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Thank you all, now I understand the reason and to tackle such things in the future. Not ad-blocker or anyone/anything's fault =)
If you block something by accident and want to undo it. Go to uBlock dashboard and click on "My Filters" tab and remove the line/rule then click apply.
The item you blocked should show again after your refresh the page.

plat1098

Level 27
Verified
Top poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2018
The Zapper is pretty much only good as a one-shot deal. Next time you visit the page, that ad or another will likely be back. The Picker, which is the eye=dropper symbol next the the Zapper, will generate more permanent rules in the "My Rules" section of the uBO dashboard like The_King already said.

Ads like this Visa-sponsored content can be generated via script and/or hosted on temporary sub-domains that can change periodically and if that's the case, uBlock Origin's static filters can't keep up with that.

One source