Question Question storage media

Hardware Discussions
55 Replies 4,979 Views
Help answer the author's question with clear explanations and useful steps.
why not encrypted to cloud storage?
Very good idea, I do love my iCloud but you become dependent on, yet another subscription (they want you to subscribe to everything nowadays)

What type of protection do 2.5" HDDs have to prevent external electromagnetism from damaging the magnetism of the platters? Is there any shielding or is it a myth?

How do I choose a good HDD for archiving storage? Is only a 3.5" HDD necessary? I have four 2.5" HDDs inside an Orico USB case.
There is shielding, they are not as fragile as you think. I would be more worried about vibrations (like you take the drive out and you drop it). For the 2.5 drives it is less of a problem but still a very valid one. The portable HDDs imo are not for clumsy people. If you are clumsy, get a flash drive (don’t forget to always check pockets so it doesn’t end up in the washing machine).
 
I always thought that 2.5" HDDs were fragile near any magnetic source. I was told in the past that proximity to magnetic sources corrupted data on the platters.

Which HDD technology is good for archiving?
I'm careful with my 2.5" HDDs; I don't touch them while they're in operation.
 
I always thought that 2.5" HDDs were fragile near any magnetic source. I was told in the past that proximity to magnetic sources corrupted data on the platters.

Which HDD technology is good for archiving?
I'm careful with my 2.5" HDDs; I don't touch them while they're in operation.
That’s a myth. You need very strong magnetic field to demagnetise the drive. In your home, magnetic fields are everywhere. If they were so fragile they wouldn’t be used for so many years.

You have the option with some routers to connect the drive to the router USB. Then you can do your backup on that.

There are also drives like WD My Cloud, they are connected to ethernet and you can access your data from anywhere.

It all depends on your needs.
 
Maybe time to upgrade their router, but I like the idea :)

Screenshot 2025-10-12 141611.png
 
In the event of ransomware, all connected drives will be encrypted, just a quick FYI.

The drives that you connect and disconnect are more resilient to ransomware, but then there are the risks of dropping, washing, losing (how many flash drives I keep on finding around my place)…

There is no full happiness with anything.

With connected drive, your security needs to be top notch.
 
In the event of ransomware, all connected drives will be encrypted, just a quick FYI.

The drives that you connect and disconnect are more resilient to ransomware, but then there are the risks of dropping, washing, losing (how many flash drives I keep on finding around my place)…

There is no full happiness with anything.

With connected drive, your security needs to be top notch.
His files are mostly iso,roms,emulators. I think nothing sensitive or PII. Worst case is just redownload.
 
In the event of ransomware, all connected drives will be encrypted, just a quick FYI.

The drives that you connect and disconnect are more resilient to ransomware, but then there are the risks of dropping, washing, losing (how many flash drives I keep on finding around my place)…

There is no full happiness with anything.

With connected drive, your security needs to be top notch.
Your avatar has been encrypted; waiting for details regarding the ransom.

2025-10-12 22.26.47 malwaretips.com 00f1ea312945.jpg
 
His files are mostly iso,roms,emulators. I think nothing sensitive or PII. Worst case is just redownload.
Well he wants a backup of that… exactly these iso roms and emulators (if downloaded from specific places) not once or twice have been the source of Stop/DJVU ransomware. So it is a valid point to consider.

He spent quite a lot of time wondering whether or not the Wacatac trojan damaged something in there so they seem valuable.

Your avatar has been encrypted; waiting for details regarding the ransom.

View attachment 291888
To see my handsome faces, pay me. I accept payment by link… 300 USD 🤪
My avatar has been encrypted by TrojanRansom:MWTUpdate.A!ML=HighConfidencesRansoms
 
Well he wants a backup of that… exactly these iso roms and emulators (if downloaded from specific places) not once or twice have been the source of Stop/DJVU ransomware. So it is a valid point to consider.


To see my handsome faces, pay me. I accept payment by link… 300 USD 🤪
PayPal money sent.. now maybe I can also start Liking your posts again, too? 😂
 
Well he wants a backup of that… exactly these iso roms and emulators (if downloaded from specific places) not once or twice have been the source of Stop/DJVU ransomware. So it is a valid point to consider.

He spent quite a lot of time wondering whether or not the Wacatac trojan damaged something in there so they seem valuable.


To see my handsome faces, pay me. I accept payment by link… 300 USD 🤪
Even if it's me I would like a backup. It's like his personal collection from different sources and he invested man-hours searching,downloading and archiving.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top