Advice Request Questions about Chromium Edge

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hey! Chromium Edge is out as our pals here shared! Microsoft Edge Insider

I have a few questions, maybe somebody knows the answer?

At the day of today:
  • Is Chromium Edge secure (stable, malware protection) as to use daily?
  • Is Edge WDAG sandboxing when detecting suspicious activity enabled in Chromium Edge?
  • Does it get updated via Windows Update or via browser?
  • Any known vulnerabilities or issues proven, inherited from MS Edge or found in this new Chromium Edge?
Now a personal question: how do you feel about this browser? Would you use it daily, make it your default browser?

It's amazingly fast as far as I've tested.

Best regards, and looking forward to not destroy you all on the next robot invasion.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Not stable, because it is in development.. I am still using the first unofficial version which was leaked. Have not updated that one, because it runs without problems. To protect myself against exploits I have added free MemProtect to stop any exploit breaking out Chromium Edge.

Note: because you can add WD exploit protection Chromium Edge can be made safer than Chrome also on older CPU's (not able to run Windows Sandbox with Edge).

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
At the day of today:
  • Is Chromium Edge secure (stable, malware protection) as to use daily?
  • Is Edge WDAG sandboxing when detecting suspicious activity enabled in Chromium Edge?
  • Does it get updated via Windows Update or via browser?
  • Any known vulnerabilities or issues proven, inherited from MS Edge or found in this new Chromium Edge?
Now a personal question: how do you feel about this browser? Would you use it daily, make it your default browser?
1. Chromium Edge is secure as Chromium build itself with Microsoft injections.
2. Not a clue @Andy Ful
3. I would imagine, like Chrome, via the browser (*://help)
4. See 1. If it was vulnerable, every Chromium-based browser would be as well.
5. Not installed Edge yet. Currently using Brave beta as secondary.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
1. Chromium Edge is secure as Chromium build itself with Microsoft injections.
2. Not a clue @Andy Ful
3. I would imagine, like Chrome, via the browser (*://help)
4. See 1. If it was vulnerable, every Chromium-based browser would be as well.
5. Not installed Edge yet. Currently using Brave beta as secondary.
Thanks for the response everybody!

@Andy Ful maybe knows the answer to #2.

As for "beta", I am using developer edition at the moment which is not as risky as the other version that gets constantly updated and it works very stable.

@Windows_Security mind giving me a hand with MemProtect? Tried my best to use it and failed miserably...

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014

As for "beta", I am using developer edition at the moment which is not as risky as the other version that gets constantly updated and it works very stable.

@Windows_Security mind giving me a hand with MemProtect? Tried my best to use it and failed miserably...
For now, the Chromium Edge does not support WD Application Guard. I tried to use also the Application Guard extension for Chrome, but it did not work. Anyway, one can install WD Application Guard Companion from Microsoft Store, and then the Sandboxed Edge can be run manually by one click (independently of installed browsers). But, the configuration of sandboxed Edge can be done only from the native Edge.

Reldel1

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2017
For now, the Chromium Edge does not support WD Application Guard. I tried to use also the Application Guard extension for Chrome, but it did not work. Anyway, one can install WD Application Guard Companion from Microsoft Store, and then the Sandboxed Edge can be run manually by one click (independently of installed browsers). But, the configuration of sandboxed Edge can be done only from the native Edge.
Today the Canary Build had an update but I was unable to get the update with Hard_Config enabled. I tried to enable path rules for several Edge folders within the C/User/Local/Microsoft/ folder but it did not work. Must be other locations needing path rules at this point. Update successful without Hard_Config enabled.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016

I needed to set the flag AppContainer for the DEV build, see for my other chrome flags this thread Add Exploit protection settings as posted here

After installing MemProtect, Edit Memprotect.ini as outlined below (you don't need module filter, WD Exploit Protection checks that for you). Copy it to Windows folder. Restart MemProtect using cmd-file. Open MsEdge-chromium and do some surfing. Check memprotect.log in Windows folder. When only messages about Explorer appear in the log, change [#LETHAL] to [LETHAL] and [LOGGING] to [#LOGGING] in the ini file. Restart MemProtect driver again.

[#LETHAL]
[LOGGING]
[#INSTALLMODE]
[DEFAULTALLOW]
[#MODULEFILTER]
[WHITELIST]
!*\msedge.exe>*\msedge.exe
!*\msedge.exe>C:\Program Files??????\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate\*
!*\msedge.exe>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*
*>*
[BLACKLIST]
*\msedge.exe>*
[MODULEWHITELIST]
*>*
[MODULEBLACKLIST]
[EOF]

N.B. I also enabled legacy_F8_boot and added a second boot option (Safe Mode), as explained How to add Safe Mode to Boot Menu options in Windows 10 just in case I messed up with MemProtect driver (it is the only security program you need to cage exploit in the programs they exploit, but reversely when you mess up and lock yourself out, there is only safe mode to remove the driver using the uninstall driver.cmd)

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I was unable to get the update with Hard_Config enabled.
Based on @Windows_Security's post, I would suggest whitelisting this path
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*
But to do things right, really you should check the log -- where there any blocks for that path? If not, where were the blocks?

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Based on @Windows_Security's post, I would suggest whitelisting this path
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Platform\*
But to do things right, really you should check the log -- where there any blocks for that path? If not, where were the blocks?
Not required, because the folder (and subfolders)
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender
is whitelisted by default.

Today the Canary Build had an update but I was unable to get the update with Hard_Config enabled. I tried to enable path rules for several Edge folders within the C/User/Local/Microsoft/ folder but it did not work. Must be other locations needing path rules at this point. Update successful without Hard_Config enabled.
Thanks. I will try to reproduce the problem with updating Chromium Edge. For now, I have the Dev version which updates in the week period. I am going to install the Canary version and we will see.
I noticed that Grammarly extension works well in Chromium Edge (does not work in the native Edge for me).

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
:giggle:(y)

It seems that for now, Chromium Edge is closer to Chrome than to Edge. It does not run in AppContainer by default like Chrome.

Reldel1

Level 2
Verified
Jun 12, 2017

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
You are correct but APPContainer can be enabled by Edge://flags, I do not have it enabled.
Chromium Edge uses //flags, just as Chrome and most Chrome settings can be applied in this way. The Chrome AppContainer is not implemented in the same way as in the native Edge.(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.