Quick Heal Antivirus Pro v18.00 - A review by Der.Reisende

Product name
Quick Heal Antivirus Pro v18.00
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Tons of features, though not bloated, logical arrangement of functions. Colours are pleasant to the eyes. Modern UI, with neat, big icons. Please refer to the screenshots in the full review.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
3.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
v18.00
There are no statistics available yet.
Rating to be changed as soon there is at least on month of Malware HUB input.

v17.00 was mediocre in terms of protection, refer to the links in the full article regarding the 0day-HUB tests.

Signatures are still below average. Much better dynamic protection (Advanced DNAScan, opt-in Anti-Keylogger, Web Security scans traffic, all new Total Ransomware Protection w/ secure folders, 2-way-firewall, 1-way-firewall by default, Trusted EMail Clients Protection)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Lightning fast scans
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Antivirus capabilities are average at best
    • Mixed results from independent testing labs
    • Can be complex in some situations
Time spent using product
Reviewed over a 30-day period
Computer specs
Windows 10 x64 v1903 build 18362.116 (build no. at time of initital review)
8 GB RAM
Intel i5-7200U
Nvidia GeForce 940MX + Intel HD 620
1 TB HDD / 128 GB SSD (C:// is located on SSD)
Overall rating
3.00 star(s)

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Do you do a k7 total security review? Would you try k7 total security malware tests? I use K7 2 years and ı pike it
Currently I cannot, because I don't have a VM but ShadowDefender on the system, so I can only test one AV each time.
Maybe @harlan4096 or another HUB member can join in with K7?:)

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If anyone is interested, you can buy 1 year, 1 PC licenses from Amazon India, for just $7.50. This is much cheaper than buying directly from Quick Heal. To purchase it, you need to enter an Indian address. But there are websites which will generate addresses for you. The license is sent by email, so nothing is sent to the address.

It took 20 minutes to receive my license.

This is for QH Antivirus Pro, but there will be cheap licenses for other versions or if you want a license for more users.

I know that the detection rate is terrible, but it may be of interest if anyone wants to test it for more than 30 days.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
1565118817940.png

Sorry, somehow the table formatting is broken and I cannot fix it :(

Main weakness remain .jar files (like #Adwind RAT, which hijack the registry, set an AutoRun for Java file and call out via javaw.exe). Built in QH AntiMalware tool can fix most, but no all registry alterations by #Adwind.

1565118974735.png

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I live in India and Quick Heal is extremely popular here, specially the Total Security. QH has tremendously improved their Firewall and Behaviour Blocker. If only they can improve the signatures I'll buy it once again. I used QH Total Security for a year. In India the common mode of infection is portable devices and one thing I like about QH is it's repairing ability. In most cases, if a flash drive is infected, when the AV deletes the virus, all the contents of the flash drive get hidden but in case of QH, it repairs the virus and your files are in their original location. It's like nothing even happened to them.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I live in India and Quick Heal is extremely popular here, specially the Total Security. QH has tremendously improved their Firewall and Behaviour Blocker. If only they can improve the signatures I'll buy it once again. I used QH Total Security for a year. In India the common mode of infection is portable devices and one thing I like about QH is it's repairing ability. In most cases, if a flash drive is infected, when the AV deletes the virus, all the contents of the flash drive get hidden but in case of QH, it repairs the virus and your files are in their original location. It's like nothing even happened to them.

I don't think signatures matter the most here. If you're satisfied about their firewall and behavioural protection why not just pair it with EEK? or anything else that shows VT results maybe.

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
If anyone is interested, you can buy 1 year, 1 PC licenses from Amazon India, for just $7.50. This is much cheaper than buying directly from Quick Heal. To purchase it, you need to enter an Indian address. But there are websites which will generate addresses for you. The license is sent by email, so nothing is sent to the address.

It took 20 minutes to receive my license.

This is for QH Antivirus Pro, but there will be cheap licenses for other versions or if you want a license for more users.

I know that the detection rate is terrible, but it may be of interest if anyone wants to test it for more than 30 days.

Did you successfully activate the program?

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
I wonder why people choose Total Security over Antivirus Pro?
AV Pro has all the goodies, like FW, BB, USB Protection, Web Filter,...
I‘m extremely tempted to use TS, but the more it gives compared to the smallest product, i cannot justify in Europe at least (30$ compared to 74$, for 1y/1PC).
Of course, it has parental protection feature which is quite configurable.
The Banking Browser:
I use Brave w/ my bank page in fav, and an external, no-internet connection TAN generator.
Actually, I like the QH browser a lot, but it‘s not what I‘d pay so much more for.

Also, i did not see IS/TS exclusive Phishing Protection in action when trying some PhishTank links (confirmed phishing pages).

Also it seems they dropped Bitdefender Engine with v18?
I couldn‘t notice any BD detection even at days old packs.
This is the actual deal breaker for me, 3rd Party signatures would come in handy, but i think they were also delayed / old in v17.

As for the repair option, QH is strong there, agree, also their AntiMalware scanner can fix a lot registry hijacks.

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I wonder why people choose Total Security over Antivirus Pro?
AV Pro has all the goodies, like FW, BB, USB Protection, Web Filter,...
I‘m extremely tempted to use TS, but the more it gives compared to the smallest product, i cannot justify in Europe at least (30$ compared to 74$, for 1y/1PC).
Of course, it has parental protection feature which is quite configurable.
The Banking Browser:
I use Brave w/ my bank page in fav, and an external, no-internet connection TAN generator.
Actually, I like the QH browser a lot, but it‘s not what I‘d pay so much more for.

Also, i did not see IS/TS exclusive Phishing Protection in action when trying some PhishTank links (confirmed phishing pages).

Also it seems they dropped Bitdefender Engine with v18?
I couldn‘t notice any BD detection even at days old packs.
This is the actual deal breaker for me, 3rd Party signatures would come in handy, but i think they were also delayed / old in v17.

As for the repair option, QH is strong there, agree, also their AntiMalware scanner can fix a lot registry hijacks.
Actually in India people don't buy from their website. In Amazon and flipkart we get way cheaper options. And in the stores in India, the total security version sells for only $19.99 1pc/1year. The price difference here between antivirus pro and ts is minimal here and moreover many people use the QH banking mode which the antivirus pro misses plus the PC tuner.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Dropped as in, got rid of it 100% and didn't even switch to another one?
I may give a longer test to Total Security soon, I need to download a trial, but there is no official documentation I'm aware of which tells me if and which 3rd party engine is used (apart from AV-C, which still says they use BD engine)...

1565297825342.png

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I may give a longer test to Total Security soon, I need to download a trial, but there is no official documentation I'm aware of which tells me if and which 3rd party engine is used (apart from AV-C, which still says they use BD engine)...

View attachment 219083

Why not contact their support and get an official answer?

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Did you successfully activate the program?
Yes, it activated with no problems.

I may give a longer test to Total Security soon, I need to download a trial, but there is no official documentation I'm aware of which tells me if and which 3rd party engine is used (apart from AV-C, which still says they use BD engine)..
They only use their own engine. They no longer use Bitdefender as well, no matter what version you use.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Thread author
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
View attachment 219183View attachment 219184

But i think @roger_m already answered.

What could be the reason?
Might be the cost pulled their socks OFF/still i think QH uses Cloud (BD-Nimbus) for web protection
Another reason might be (SEQRITE seems to have employed a new ML engine , i read they already implemented in enterprise products)
so future idea might be adding the same engine to home products ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.