Advice Request RADIUS WiFi security

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

notabot

Level 15
Thread author
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
While I have used RADIUS when connecting to corporate networks, I'm not aware of its mechanics other than the request to install a certificate when joining for the first time.

Assuming (?) authentication is certificate based and not password based, it should be more secure.

In the past wep was broken and I have seen papers on attacks for WPA2, though don't know how realistic these are and how widespread but in any case, home network wireless seems to have been be a weak link.

Other than authenticating the server with a cert, what more does RADIUS offer in terms of security ?
Does anyone use RADIUS in their home network? how do they find administering it in terms of time burden, is it a 1-off to set it up and then minimal maintenance?
Which home or small business routers support RADIUS ?

Reactions: upnorth

boutthatlife

Level 1
Verified
Mar 15, 2019
Id like to know because as a home user the best security Ive been told are to have a strong password and to hide my wifi and that is it.Weak link indeed!!!

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
WPA2 Enterprise establishes dynamically generated keys for each authenticated session so there is no fixed key that could be compromised by compromising a device, or offline cracked using GPUs.
On the other hand, authentication takes much longer so without support for 802.11r from your access point, you could see significant dropouts during roaming that you wouldn’t see with PSK.

Reactions: notabot

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.