Solved RAM Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I currently have 9 chrome browsers open and 1 Opera browser open with two tabs. The two Opera tabs are youtube and pandora. My RAM usage is greater than 1.2GB. Is this normal???

I am also running Dr. Web, though this type of RAM utilization is common without having Dr. Web scanning in the background.

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
Opera has been optimizing their recent releases in the area of memory management and have designed Opera to take into account the amount of memory installed as well as many other factors so it is normal for it to seem high for many users, it dynamically grows or expands as needed and unless you have a specific issue or bug you should find that although the amount seems high and higher with more memory it should not cause any significant impact on the systems performance, when it does then you may have a problem to look into.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
At a certain point, I am getting hangs. That is why I am curious. I sometimes wonder if my processor is going south.

I have always kept many browsers open without hangs.

Upvote 0

Tweak

Jan 8, 2011
There may be some tweaks to the cache and other areas you could look into that may help smooth things out. The forum has loads of info related to high memory usage but I do not use any type of tweaks because I do not find the need, maybe some of the info found there will help your situation though.

Upvote 0

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
I am currently having 11 tabs open in Chrome and 2 in opera and it is around 1.5GB usage. (yikes)

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
Right now I only have 4 chrome browsers open and two tabs in Pandora. RAM usage is still over 1G. 1.35G to be exact. I do have a movie going (youtube and full length film) in two of the 4 chrome browsers, so that could be the reason. It still seems high.

What is really strange is that Task Manager is showing twice as many Chrome line items as I actually have open.

Upvote 0

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
They are most probably kept alive for the cache. Also remember that each instance of flash you have running has its own process.

Upvote 0

Gnosis

Level 5
Thread author
Apr 26, 2011
I was in Safe Mode running some scans. I happened to open XueTr. I clicked the
"Ring0hooks" tab. I noticed that Adware was hooked via a windows system 32 driver. I deleted it and rebooted. I now can open 11 chrome browsers and it only takes me up to about 38 percent RAM usage!

I have not used AdAware forever. I do not know why it was hooked. I uninstalled it long ago. Your feedback is much appreciated.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.