Solved Random Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
I have a small problem with random freezes.

For about 1 minute, the hard disk light is solid, and, if I try and use I program, it becomes unresponsive until everything is working again.

So I though, hey, I'm going to run Process Explore all the time, and watch it when another freeze comes around. It isn't a total freeze (it seems like only actions which require disk writing and maybe reading freeze), and I would still have time to switch windows and watch.

But...when the freeze came around again, nothing looked wrong. The CPU spiked a bit before, but not during the entire freeze. Disk activity was normal. Nothing unusual in the column "Disk Delta Total Bytes."

Sometimes unplugging USB connections seem to lessen the time of the freeze. It didn't work this time, but when I turned off the physical Wi-Fi switch on my laptop, a few seconds later the freeze ended.

On another topic, I had noticed that one of the svchost processes was having unusual disk activity, though not in a freeze. It ran, among other things, Superfetch, Windows driver foundation, WLAN configuration (I noticed this because of the Wi-Fi switch), HomeGroup listener, and Network Connections ("Netman").

I may have to post this on the Comodo forum, but I want to increase activity here too. So I posted it here first. :)

LaserWraith

Level 1
Thread author
Feb 24, 2011
silviu_c said:
I would do a surface scan on that drive before anything else.

I have scanned with CAV, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, and Wuzzup. None found anything.

I also don't see suspicious processes in Process Explorer.

Upvote 0

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I think he was refering to the Check Disk:
image000l.png

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.