Ransomeware leads to endless boot loop

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Hi,
I will be taking over your thread as Fiery will be away for a next couple of days.

Please follow this steps to do a repair installation. Steps here

If you are getting a different screen please don't proceed further. It may be because of a different Version of Windows XP CD you have....

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
Hi Kuttus, Thanks
I do have the Windows XP Home edition CD (and that's what my PC is/was running) so that is the setup screen I am getting. Can I proceed with that?

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
OK - following instructions I got to the screen after the user agreement but it was different than the instructions. As with everything except the Kaspersky rescue disk - the XP install CD doesn't recognize windows on my C drive. (Actually Kaspersky didn't recognize windows but finally could get to a point of seeing C and D and letting me access the files but not start windows.) Hopefully the attachment comes through with a photo of the screen. Did the maleware somehow delete my file directory table? Some critical, deep part of Windows start up has been wiped out it appears - but that's beyond my knowledge.

[attachment=4576]

Attachments

• IMG_7773 - small.JPG
    IMG_7773 - small.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 111

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Download and burn Partition Wizard Boot Disc.

• Boot infected machine from CD you just burn.
  • Push enter to choose Boot from Partition Wizard Boot Disc.
    74075406.png
  • Be patient and wait.
  • On the left panel select Partition Recovery Wizard.
    98528469.png
  • On first screen, cilck Next.
  • Select your hard drive, then click Next.
    17157016.png
  • On two next screen don't change anything, just click Next.
  • Now the most important part:
    • Select only 100MB partition (Windows 7 files are on hidden partition) and your partition/s - look the size column.
    75103248.png
  • Click Finish.
  • Click on disk, on left panel choose Rebuild MBR
  • Click Apply on up.
  • When done click X on up right corner to reboot. Remove Partition Wizard Boot Disk.
  • When done click X on up right corner to reboot. Remove Partition WIzard Boot Disk.

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
Thanks Kuttus, I'll try this - one quick check - you said "Windows 7 files are on hidden partition" - I am trying to recover Windows XP, does that change anything?

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
kuttus said:
No..... You can proceed..

Kuttus,
My partition recovery choices looked different than your example: you said,

"Now the most important part:
Select only 100MB partition (Windows 7 files are on hidden partition) and your partition/s - look the size column."

and so I don't want to get this wrong. Attached is a screen pic of my two choices. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7774.JPG
    IMG_7774.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 114

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
OK, I ran the partition wizard, it appeared to complete it's task OK, but when I tried to boot normally there was no difference, I am still in an endless boot loop that gets as far as the black screen to "Start Windows Normally" then it resets and begins again. I tried the full scan in the partition wizard but no change. I went back to try some of the previous methods in case the partition wizard helped but no luck. The Recovery console on the PC still led to a BSOD, the XP installation disks still said there was an error when enumerating the C drive, and Insert said for sda1: "Attempting to correct errors...FAILED Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument Volume is corrupt. You should run chkdsk". Interestingly for SDA2 it failed to mount the volume but went on to correct and say that partition was processed successfully. All of these responses to the previous repair methods are identical except perhaps the results for Insert (cant recall for sure) which is why I added in the detail in case it helps.

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Lets create a bootable HitmanPro Rescue Disk and run a scan:
STEP 1: Create a HitmanPro.Kickstart USB flash drive
<ol>
<li>While you are using a "clean" (non-infected) computer, <>download HitmanPro</> from the below link.
<a href="http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank"> <>HITMANPRO DOWNLOAD LINK</></a> <em>(This link will open a download page in a new window from where you can download HitmanPro)</em></li>
<li>Insert your USB flash drive into your computer and then follow the instructions from the below video:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aBS902Qr0oc?rel=0" frameborder="0" width="640" height="360"></iframe></li>
</ol>
STEP 2: Remove infection with HitmanPro.Kickstart
<ol>
<li>After you have create the HitmanPro.Kickstart USB flash drive, you can <>insert this USB drive into the infected machine</> and start your computer</li>
<li>Once the computer starts <>repeatedly tap the F11 key </>(on some machines its <em>F10</em> or <em>F2</em>),which should bring up the Boot Menu, from there you can select to boot from your USB.
Next,you'll need to <>perform a system scan with HitmanPro</> as see in the below video:
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lUNHidkYsDQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" width="640" height="360"></iframe></li>
</ol>

<hr />

Last edited by a moderator:

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
kuttus said:
Lets create a bootable HitmanPro Rescue Disk and run a scan:

Tried it but it would not run - I got the error shown at the top of the screen in the attachment - couldn't open drive when it tried to boot.

[attachment=4672]

Attachments

• IMG_7775.JPG
    IMG_7775.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 122

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
I did and that screen shot was the result. For some reason it put the response message at the top of the screen instead of the bottom. So to be clear - I get the "USB boot options 1, 2, or 3 Please enter your choice" display, I hit "1" and it says "HitmanPro.Kickstart booting, MBR Read, churns for a few seconds, then gives the three line error message shown at the top of the screen starting with "Couldn't open drive..."

kuttus

Level 2
Verified
Oct 5, 2012
Okay.. Boot your computer from the Windows XP Disk and Select the option Repair using Recovery Console...

You will get a Black Command Prompt window in the Recovery Console.... In that one type the following command and hit on Enter.....

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=d:\ /offwindir=d:\windows

if this one not working try

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

After that you need to do this step also

chkdsk c: /r

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
It says it does not recognize the sfc command. When I type help to see a list of available commands sfc is not there. I am using the Windows xp sp3 disk. (note - I did try the full string you listed, but when I got the error message I tried just the command)

[attachment=4687]

Attachments

• IMG_7776-001.JPG
    IMG_7776-001.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 111

geezermetal

Thread author
Verified
May 9, 2013
Oh no! I really wanted to do everything possible to save this - and it seems so close! If the sfc command is part of the Win XP command set why isn't in on my install disks - do I need a newer version - or is there some other way to get this command onto my boot disk? Is there some other way to manually find and replace bad windows elements? We have been trying so long I don't want to give up now...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.