Ravenosky's Security Config

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
I just restored my computer to factory settings is hopes that I will fix whatever is causing my Blue Screen of Death problem after scanning with MalwareBytes, Hitman Pro, AdwCleaner, and Spybot S&D did not come up with anything serious that would cause it. Any advice would be great.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
You're getting a Blue Screen of Death on your computer?

Do you have any way to take a picture of it so I can see the codes? I should then be able to tell the best way we can fix it ;)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Seems fine :)
If you have good browsing and clicking habits then MSE, Windows Firewall and UAC are enough.
Thanks for sharing your config!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Check that Service Pack 1 has been installed for Windows 7.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows/service-packs-download#sptabs=win7

Microsoft Security Essentials is very under-rated by many users, it's one of the more stable AV's on the market with the least FP rates. It only lacks in mainly zero-day prevention, but most users (I strongly believe) don't come across this on a daily basis. The only threats would come from targeted attacks, but most are just average people.. or are you famous? :eek: Additionally, if you utilise UAC properly and IE's SmartScreen, most threats can either be averted or prevented. Google Chrome's own SafeBrowsing is also effective at blocking malicious and phishing sites, and so is it's download malware protection.

If you install commonly install software from trusted download sites, I can recommend Unchecky.com to prevent accidentally installing bundled software (known as Adware). For example: CCleaner's standard installer is bundled with either Google Toolbar or Chrome.

I would keep using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and HitmanPro Unregistered for monthly scans. Spybot Search & Destroy has no value against the current top-notch on-demand scanners. I've had no experience with AdwCleaner, so no comment about that one.

Glad you have joined, and hope to see you active. Take a browse. :D

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
Okay...

@Huracan Well I keep using Spybot as it was the only scanner I had at the time that alerted me to the Conduit virus and led me to search how to fully remove it and I found this site.

As for the Blue Screen of Death, factory restore seems to have fixed it, I got this laptop used and I think the store didn't do something right in cleaning the past user's stuff off. I have yet to get the blue screen anymore. Iobit is not gonna be my main on demand scanner for long, I put that because it was required that I type something I think. I am in the process of getting security software and scanners downloaded. I will have AdwCleaner, Malwarebytes, Hitman Pro, and I will continue to use Iobit, I love the tools.

I saw a giveaway for Avast. I just recently had to remove it from my mother's laptop because it had the open candy adware in the program, I could not remove it normally, so I had to go into safe mode to remove the avast program.

Besides the programs I just mentioned, what other programs would you guys suggest?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello again, ravenosky. Thank you for sharing your many system goodies with us!:):) Well, everything except for the dreaded:eek: Blue Screen Of Death was a goody..:( On our Windows 8 system, I too had experienced specifically a system kernel error more than once, and had to restore our system (actually refresh) on two separate occasions when I'd first joined back in December of '13. This was before I'd learned from one of our Jedi Master Staff members (Thanks exterminator20!:rolleyes:*looks up*) that my AV at the time, Bitdefender Free, was then incompatible.:oops: This is how we came to use the native built-in AVs & Firewalls on both Windows 7 & Windows 8.1 systems in our home.:D
Everything good mentioned about Microsoft Security Essentials is fact, and does keep your system extremely light!:)

One of the first software recommendations to me as a new member was Sandboxie. Look,:cool: there's a banner below which affords them free advertising!:p;) Symbiotically speaking, there is also a free version which provides containment protection for your browser in a virtual sandbox. I'll share how my wife whom I'd never expected to take a liking toward using it, now incorporates it each and every time she's online!:):) ..and The Queen Doth approve this message.:D It's very much like wearing a rain slicker on a wet & stormy night!:) Read about, and get it here www.sandboxie.com

Among my favorite, also free, additions to Chrome is the LastPass extension https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/lastpass-free-password-ma/hdokiejnpimakedhajhdlcegeplioahd
which utilizes encryption security to access all used passwords &/or personal information you can optionally choose to fill in fields on sites you can access only having to remember a single master password!! (BTW, while using a sandbox as mentioned previously, all additions, upgrades, themes, & updated security patches, last only as long as you keep the sandbox intact which is also a nice method when you'd prefer just test driving an extension before committing to keeping it);)

Last edited:

ravenosky

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jul 15, 2014
You can try Unchecky for your other Family member's PC, http://unchecky.com .

When you say "avast" + "open candy", is this what you're referring too? - avast! Pro Antivirus, Fake Warnings, Softonic Partnership and Free Adware!. Then see my 2nd post, on how to prevent Avast! from recommending software from Softonic - known to bundle (Adware) software.

I don't think it was a recommendation, the open candy was discovered in a left-over Avast folder left behind when my mother uninstalled it and switched to AVG. And even though she has uninstalled Avast, it was still there, still running despite it not showing up in the installed programs list. It would not uninstall, and quarantining the pup did not work, as soon as the computer restarted it would still pop up. As my mother had uninstalled Avast the uninstaller was no where to be found, but manually deleting would not work as the folder was locked and I got the warning telling me there was a program running that was using it. I could not force close the instance, it denied me access to doing so. I had to go into safe mode with networking, download the Avast Uninstaller to uninstall it. Regardless, when I restarted and loaded it normally, there were still left over folders, but I was able to delete them. And while running the scanners to clean the Rocket trojan off her computer, I found that there was still at least one trace of the open-candy pup still on it. Now her computer is clean, thank the gods, and seems to be running faster. At least I did not need to reset her computer, too.

IObit fails so hard for system-protection, it is laughable. No, really:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2419553,00.asp

It would be like using GlarySoft Utilities for all your Malware-detection needs, because they also sport a worthless "Anti-Malware" component.

I appreciate your opinion, but I have not had any problems with Iobit, on the other hand I do not use it for mal-ware detection, I use it for it's ability to clean all the other crap off my computer, and I find it's other tools to be very useful and handy.

Last edited:

vrb93

Level 5
Verified
Jan 15, 2014
  • Remove MSE and install a good free AV (360TS - Avast - Avira) to stay more secure.
  • Remove ASC and replace it with MBAMfree, HitmanPro, HerdProtect.
  • Add some privacy-oriented extension in your browsers

:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.