Accidentally downloaded Chromestera. Now Microsoft Edge is Managed by Organization + Microsoft Edge redirect to Yahoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mulligus

Thread author
Oct 9, 2023
Hi there. As the title implies, I accidentally downloaded Chromestera about a week ago. I immediately deleted the software, but it would appear it's left some lasting effects on my laptop. Yesterday morning I noticed that my Microsoft Edge was now under an Organization. A hostile extension has been installed and won't allow itself to be deleted. I've been following guides all yesterday in an attempt to fix the issue. I ran Malwarebyters, Adwcleaner, and Hitman Pro. Additionally I've ran a code through my Command Prompt, deleted unwanted tasks left over by Chromestera in my Task Scheduler, and have reset my Microsoft Edge browser. All of these seemed to help in eliminating aspects of the issue, but the unwanted extension is still present on my device, and now I'm beginning to be redirected to Yahoo when I attempt to use my Edge. Please let me know if you need any additional information. Thanks.

Mulligus

Thread author
Oct 9, 2023
I believe you needed this as well.

Attachments

• FRST.txt
    59.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Addition.txt
    102.9 KB · Views: 2

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

These security program as disabled. You should enable Windows defender or McAfee but not both.
AV: Windows Defender (Disabled - Up to date) {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
AV: McAfee VirusScan (Disabled - Up to date) {FE987762-0FB6-6BB6-1BF1-73F8ED8566FA}
FW: McAfee Firewall (Disabled) {C6A3F647-45D9-6AEE-30AE-DACD13562181}
<<<>>>

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.

Attachments

• Fixlist.txt
    5 KB · Views: 8

Mulligus

Thread author
Oct 9, 2023
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

These security program as disabled. You should enable Windows defender or McAfee but not both.
AV: Windows Defender (Disabled - Up to date) {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}
AV: McAfee VirusScan (Disabled - Up to date) {FE987762-0FB6-6BB6-1BF1-73F8ED8566FA}
FW: McAfee Firewall (Disabled) {C6A3F647-45D9-6AEE-30AE-DACD13562181}
<<<>>>

Please download the attached Fixlist.txt file to the same folder where the Farbar tool is running from.
The location is listed in the 3rd line of the FRST.txt log you have submitted.

Run FRST and click Fix only once and wait.

The Computer will restart when the fix is completed.

It will create a log (Fixlog.txt) please post it to your reply.
===

Please post the Fixlog.txt and let me know what problem persists.
I followed your instructions, and it seems like everything has been fixed. I appreciate the time you've given to assist me with this.

Attachments

• Fixlog.txt
    19.1 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.