Basic Security RazorSiS Free Security Config (Windows)

RazorSiS

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
I would consider having OS File Reputation on and doing backups of your data and OS.

Also your OS doesn't look like it is up to date.

Yeah os isn't up to date cause i was using arch linux for 2 months, gonna clean install fall update
Will keep os fr on
For backup, i keep a copy of important files separately

RazorSiS

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
I would add Emsisoft Emergency Kit and HitmanPro as ondemand scanners. You can setup HitmanPro to perform a quick scan at startup.

I was checking it out 2 weeks ago and it was possible to disable avira connect, maybe only during the install though?

Why OS File Reputation disabled? It can be fundamental to avoid infections.

Add ZAM Free.

Add MalwareBytes Free.

Add HTTPS Everywhere.

Add a good backup software, such as Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks for sharing.

Now i'm little confused
What to add from Emsisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro, ZAM Free , Malwarebytes free?
Will there be any performance hit adding multiple scanners along with av?
Should I stay with Avira free or switch to kaspersky, bitdefender or avast?

Reactions: SHvFl and given

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Now i'm little confused
What to add from Emsisoft Emergency Kit, HitmanPro, ZAM Free , Malwarebytes free?
Will there be any performance hit adding multiple scanners along with av?
Should I stay with Avira free or switch to kaspersky, bitdefender or avast?
Stay with Avira however since Avira is your real time protection an on demand scanner is different so some of the suggestions would be good to use as an on demand scanner.
More important is to implement some type of system & data backup solution.You should consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Enable Smartscreen.
What browser do you use?
What system utilities do you use? Such as CCleaner,etc.
Please edit your config with any changes.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@RazorSiS: I tagged temporally Your config as Risky. Please kindly consider the already mentioned changes in Your config, at least these ones:
More important is to implement some type of system & data backup solution.You should consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Enable Smartscreen.
Please edit Your config with the changes as @Exterminator said.

Thanks for sharing :)

RazorSiS

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
@RazorSiS: I tagged temporally Your config as Risky. Please kindly consider the already mentioned changes in Your config, at least these ones:

Please edit Your config with the changes as @Exterminator said.

Thanks for sharing :)

Working on it
Currently planning on a clean install of windows 1709 but didn't get the time
will update as soon as its done

Last edited:

RazorSiS

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
I
Stay with Avira however since Avira is your real time protection an on demand scanner is different so some of the suggestions would be good to use as an on demand scanner.
Enable Smartscreen.
What browser do you use?
What system utilities do you use? Such as CCleaner,etc.
Please edit your config with any changes.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Thinking about replacing avira with avast, as i read somewhere avira doesn't have zeroday protection , bb and avast performs well compared to avira in tests
For secondary scanner: EEK
Will it be enough?

I don't like using backup software but I backup every important files in an ext hdd manually

I use chrome with ublock, idm

have used ccleaner earlier with winapp2 but now don't. Just the default disk cleanup utility, autoruns
trying to not use too much 3rd party stuffs
you can suggest some good utility if its ok

gonna edit the config as soon as I reinstall windows and your next reply

Reactions: SHvFl and given

RazorSiS

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
Yeah you need a backup, Macrium Reflect and/or Rollback Rx (both are free)

I do manual backups of imp. data to ext hdd i like to clean install system if anything goes wrong
I have limited storage and lots of data
backups gonna eat way more than I could afford

Thanks for the suggesion!

@RazorSiS: please reflect Your changes editing Your security config in post #1

It's done

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@RazorSiS: I just tagged Your config as Caution, since You don't have any backup solution in system. If at any time You install one, then I'll change to Secure.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but I have to be "straight and strict when giving tags" :)

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Personally I don't use VS, but probably can be a good complement to BD Free :)

Bu let's see VS users what They have to say about their experience and whether there will be some issues with BD Free...

RazorSiS

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 21, 2017
@harlan4096
Currently testing it (2 days)
Settings: Smart mode, Autopilot disabled

so far no conflict with BD free but it's annoying, recommending to block some good programs as well
I need your opinion on this, with my current config(forget about the backup part), is the system secure enough?
whats your recommendations if not?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.