Read this before using CNET!!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Thanks @jim lin !! Shame on you FileHippo. What the Hell are all these sites we trusted thinking, and do they not know we will call them out for this crap?? I think I'll thrown my PC in the trash. It's very scary!

Reactions: Oxygen

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
unchecky is a must nowadays, PUP everywhere.

I use filehippo but you need to watch what you click (see my screenshot and don't click the wrong link).

Attachments

• filehippo.png
    filehippo.png
    65.7 KB · Views: 378

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Lets all hope we have gotten their attention and they all reconsider their decision to try to install their crap ware on us, and change their ways.
I know fat chance of that ever happening, but we can always hope.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! Lets all hope we have gotten their attention and they all reconsider their decision to try to install their crap ware on us, and change their ways.
I know fat chance of that ever happening, but we can always hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi! I have accomplished what I wanted to. Thanks to all MT members that replied to this thread. I hope I have saved you some grief and you have avoided the Dang PUP"S ;)

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
My view is that CNET/download.com is a very good site to research software, although not as good as it used to be, because editors' reviews seem to be diminishing. It also seems like the users' reviews, which I value greatly, are diminishing.

For years I have avoided downloading from CNET. What a piece of crap TechTracker was! It made the simple process of downloading a program excruciating. The piggybacking of unwanted programs keeps me from downloading there. I think I read CNET at one point was even bundling the execrable Babylon Toolbar.

Some developers will send you to CNET when you try to download their program from their page. In that case I do a search for the program with version and usually end up downloading it from softpedia.

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Some developers will send you to CNET when you try to download their program from their page. In that case I do a search for the program with version and usually end up downloading it from softpedia.
CNET is bad news. That's the reason I started this thread. I'm hoping they wake up and smell the roses.;):mad:
PS There are also many just like them.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I won't comment about their parent companies.

A lot of these sites rely on Ads, that are displayed on their site. A lot of visitors also use Adblockers, so I believe to continue receiving incentives they switch to bundling the downloads.

You're getting a free service to download software, and they get little or nothing in return, except for reputation / recommendations.

To continue to host an independent site, legally speaking, you need $$.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Hello donetao

i used to use Filehippo but then this

Take care, FileHippo starts offering downloads via Installers!
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/filehippo-starts-offering-downloads-via-installers

Majorgeeks,Softpedia,manufacturer is where i go

here is another safe one

Filehorse
http://www.filehorse.com/

:)

James

Yeah my AV once grabbed a filehippo installer which was a bit of a shocker at the time.

The main lesson to take from all this is to always use the "custom" install button, just incase.

Regards Eck:)

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
But to bundle junkware without telling you is completely dishonest, and turns people off. That I believe is the major complaint, so they really needed to respond to their users, and allow the software to be downloaded some other way. :)

And of course, download.com is not really an independent site anymore. They are owned by a big conglomerate, which really stinks. I believe they were much better when they were really independent. :)

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
To continue to host an independent site, legally speaking, you need $$.

It`s not why they do it it`s more the way they do it. As in trying to sneak unwanted crapware on to your system in a very dubious underhand, backdoor way.

Just imagine how much of this stuff is on some unsuspecting users computers.We`re talking about startup pages changed,toolbars installed,system tune-up utilities installed etc.

Personally I`d rather pay for the service but even then I`d still use the custom button.

Regards Eck:)

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
Some free software is only downloable at cnet. Just proceed with caution and nothing bad happends.

AVOID Softonic. It can put things into system even with caution taken.

And they have a lots of malware infected files.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.