Read this before using CNET!!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
I have known this for a log time. I just keep forgetting to post it here. Thought it was time I warned MT members.
PUP's are getting to be very popular in our greedy world of internet freeware. Best to down load from the original author when possible.
If not then use one of the other trusted sites mentioned above!!

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
This isn't news, this was published in 2012 and CNET has been bundling adware ever since.
It may not be new news to you, but it might be news to other members here on MT.
I don't have free software to give away and I'm not a trained malware fighter. I try to help and inform MT members on things I know and think might help here on MT.
A member posted links to CNET on another thread about AOMEI. That's why I decided to post this in the news section!
http://malwaretips.com/threads/aomei-backupper-v-2-2-0-released.39573/#post-321988

Last edited:

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
The reviews on Softpedia are all positive, though users tend to voice their doubts or withhold stars.;)
My choice is the original author or FileHippo. Then Major Geeks. Softpedia may be good also. Greed will destroy the way we down load freeware! CNET and others have given into $$$$. Very sad, but it's very true!:mad: Adobe or Java will even try to put ASK tool bar on you.
You can get rid of the ASK tool bar with JRT;);) This is also software recommenced
by TwinHeadedEagal
Hey Cats-4 Thanks for joining in my friend!;)
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

Last edited:

Cch123

Level 7
Verified
May 6, 2014
It may be not be new news to you, but it might be news to other members here on MT.
I don't have free software to give away and I'm not a trained malware fighter. I try to help and inform MT members on things I know and think might help here on MT.
A member posted links to CNET on another thread about AOMEI. That's why I decided to post this in the news section!
http://malwaretips.com/threads/aomei-backupper-v-2-2-0-released.39573/#post-321988

I don't think you get what I mean. I meant that this thread should be shifted to other forums like "security related discussion", because after some time news threads would be archived and this issue cannot be discussed anymore. Also, since CNET is still doing it now, 2 years later, means that this isn't news per se and this thread should be more permanent to inform other members about this.

Reactions: scot and donetao

Puchku Chele

Level 1
Verified
Dec 24, 2014
I also noticed it. Download.com is not a good site now. I remember I gor "default tab" instaled with CNET downloader. I initially thought it came from the software I was using. Even I uninstalled Avast assuming it's not working. But later I found it's CNET installer which is causing the trouble. From that time onwards I always download software from the actual developer's site :)

Initially I chose CNET because I thought they only keep SPyware Free , adware free products. But now they only providing those. It may get them few extra bucks initially but in long run they will be in loss.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
honestly, I dunno where we are...... a bit too many subforums here IMO.

I love the site regardless of course ;)

donetao

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi @Cch123 I understand what you're saying. I t would be fine with me if staff wants to move this thread to the appropriate MT section.
I really have a hard time knowing which is the best section to start my threads!
It sure seems to be drawing a lot of attention however!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.