AV-Comparatives Real-World Protection Test February-May 2022

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
www.av-comparatives.org.jpeg

15-6-2022_20402_www.av-comparatives.org.jpeg

(Real-World Protection Test February-May 2022)

flaubert1971

Level 2
Oct 14, 2019
No wonder the 100% obtained by some brands because with the fact that they do not distinguish between real malware and false positives, they block everything that comes within their reach, for example Trend Micro.

I find the final ranking of AV Comparatives reliable. The only strong enough doubt I have is the one about WD's zero false positives: in my experience, WD set to default falls on a non-trailing number of false positives.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
AV-C's real-world and malware protection tests don't include script malware.
For that they have the Advanced Threat Protection Test (last one was november):

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yeah, Panda's test always confuses me, the rest is fine. A friend tested Panda like a week ago and to his surprise in his tests, Panda blocked all fileless malware he threw at it but missed quite a few EXE samples including a couple of RATs.
Panda is weird and not recommended for anyone.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

I would like to see a correctly configured SRP test one time. No other AV ;)
Just out of curiosity.

Reactions: franz

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Yes, but eset is rated A ** because it loses more malware than the winners A***
If you look at the recent AV-C and AV-T tests, ESET indeed missed more threats than Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast... One possible reason is that it excessively focuses on zero false positives. Also, I noticed that many vendors like McAfee, Symantec, and Kaspersky automatically grab/collect samples from VirusTotal, and then analyze these samples in their sandboxes. I don't know if ESET does the same.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
If you look at the recent AV-C and AV-T tests, ESET indeed missed more threats than Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Avast... One possible reason is that it excessively focuses on zero false positives. Also, I noticed that many vendors like McAfee, Symantec, and Kaspersky automatically grab/collect samples from VirusTotal, and analyze these samples in their sandboxes. I don't know if ESET does the same.
If I remember correctly, itman from ESET forum told me the same. ESET doesn't seem to do it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.