Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
XhenED replied in 'Why there is something rather than nothing';
How do you determine that? Let me provide you an example. I am sure you've heard of the concept of vacuum fluctuations, this will give you an overview. Here is another one. virtual particle .
I was not talking about scientific "nothing" or void. I was talking about philosophical "nothingness". What nothingness means, in metaphysical philosophy, is that there is no matter and form found. It's a complete emptiness.

However, there were/are some philosophers who don't believe in nothingness. To them, to think of nothingness implies nothingness' existence which, then, is contradictory to the idea of being nothing - for nothing is nothing and it cannot be thought of. :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

void is a thing , it embodies the non-presence of thing , that is in a way a thing :D

ok ok i play Dungeons & Dragons (Planescape setting ) too much :p

Reactions: XhenEd

sid_16

Level 20
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
void is a thing , it embodies the non-presence of thing , that is in a way a thing :D

ok ok i play Dungeons & Dragons (Planescape setting ) too much :p
I was not talking about scientific "nothing" or void. I was talking about philosophical "nothingness". What nothingness means, in metaphysical philosophy, is that there is no matter and form found. It's a complete emptiness.

However, there were/are some philosophers who don't believe in nothingness. To them, to think of nothingness implies nothingness' existence which, then, is contradictory to the idea of being nothing - for nothing is nothing and it cannot be thought of. :)
Nothingness exists in metaphysics only. The fact is that here it concerns a serious philosophical problem. It has been demonstrated by Jean Jean-Paul Sartre 1943 in its monumental work The Being and the Nothing. We know that thereby he was guided particularly by Martin Heidegger’s Metaphysics of Nothing, in which the immaterial force of the Nothing played the main role.

Against the limited everyday experience, which does not reveal us the Non-Being, and against the scientific attentiveness on the actual, the frightening Nothing, into which humans are exposed, was confirmed by him. Sartre was inspired by Heidegger had to be provoked as of Parmenides’ denial that we cannot see also this which is not there.

The possibility of talking meaningfully about what it is not there, characterizes one of the deepest abysses of the language. We do not want to get involved in a linguistic usage, into which can be defined the Non-Being. As philosophical individuals we participate then in an unsolvable conflict within the philosophy, even if we should not have known it.

Because the problem, whether the Nothing does exist or not, belongs to the long-lasting phenomena of the history of the European philosophy. Our thinking corresponds completely to the doctrine of Being, which outlined 500 B.C. about the wise Parmenides from the under Italian Elea. Because he was this Thinker, who as the first had concluded in his great teaching poem about nature .. the thinking, which way is the only one that can lead to the knowledge of the truth.

The Goddess of the truth had revealed this to him. There is only the way to it, which is the Being. Because, so that somewhat is not the Being, it cannot either be perceived or shown.
However, how does it work with this what is not Being?

For Parmenides was there only the meaningful alternative.
Either it is there, or it is not there.

But, this solution results in only one open way to the Being.
It is correct to say and to think that the Being is there; because only this can be there;

The Nothing is not there. I said this to you; you have to shed light on this. But there is also the way of the deathly, but it is full of traps.

This ban saying could not remain without contradiction. Democritus of Abdera, the laughing philosopher, was one of the first supporters of the being of the Empty Space, because according to him the world could not consist only of the Being. Movement is an empiric reality and there is not a need to be proved.

The primary causes of our universe for him are then the atoms and the empty space.

Thus, there is on the one hand the empty space, the Nothing (ουδέν), just as the atoms, the space-filling things, and these atoms do exist on the other hand, as well as the Empty Space between the atoms. We know surely today that the universe is full of radiation.

You may find your solution by Heidegger!

The point of nothing - to paraphrase Bertrand Russell on philosophy - is to start with something so simple as to seem not worth examining, and to end with something so paradoxical that no one will believe it.

What is this nothing, that we can't actually see, touch or feel? Is it absolute? Is it relative to everything else? If we are able to think about it, is it something, and if so wouldn't it not be nothing?

This is precisely the mystery of nothing, that the more we think about it, the more there is to it.

So is nothing something?

The nothing is not logical for us, but the empty space could be!

In reality, the vast 'nothingness' which is beyond our sensual world and dimensions is a vibrant cauldron of existence, a busy spectrum of various energy fields to be comprehended, perhaps, by other cognitive minds of different dimensions and space-time structures.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
When "being" is discussed, every philosopher, especially metaphysicians, wonders. :D
"Being" is such a great mystery that it's one of those philosophical ideas that philosophers pondered for the rest of their lives.

As far as I can remember, for St. Thomas, "being" is esse (existence). To exist is "to be". Parmenides' idea of being is similar to St. Thomas, although St. Thomas delivered more explanations than him. For others, "being" is becoming, a process.

"Being" is a very difficult idea to comprehend and discuss. That's why it is only seriously and elaborately discussed when you reach higher levels in college (assuming that it offers the subject of Metaphysics) or in a Catholic seminary where philosophy is mandatory. :D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.