Recognize suspicious sites

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
It is important to know which sites are malicious (malware sites) or phishing. Yes we can upload an address to an online malware scanner but it can happen the malicious site is FUD so it seems it is clean. The most important thing to defend us from phishing is to verify the presence of forms to fill in information. If you don't know the site DO NOT insert any information. Sometimes phishing sites use names SIMILAR to known websites such as Facebook, and the malicious site could be named "Faceboook", if a user doesn't pay attention to the fake name he could insert data to a fake site and get phished!
About malware sites obviously download malware (usually also dangerous ransomware threats): in this case is fundamental to surf with a sandboxed browser (I use Chrome with Sandboxie), so the malware if it is downloaded it remains in the sandboxed area and then we can delete it!).

If you have other suggestions please write them! Thank you! :)

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Nice suggestions!
  • Do not add unknown extensions to the browsers
  • Do not fill the browsers with themes and extensions (reduce the attack surface)
  • Always navigate through HTTPS
  • Don't trust flash sites! (although some still use, better safe than sorry!)
  • Check certificates

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Nice suggestions!
  • Do not add unknown extensions to the browsers
  • Do not fill the browsers with themes and extensions (reduce the attack surface)
  • Always navigate through HTTPS
  • Don't trust flash sites! (although some still use, better safe than sorry!)
  • Check certificates
Thank you friend for improving this thread. These are simple tips but they can be very important and sometimes we forget them...

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thank you friend for improving this thread. These are simple tips but they can be very important and sometimes we forget them...
We always have more choices to protect ourselves from malware...
exorcismo.jpg

ChemicalB

Level 8
Verified
Sep 14, 2018
Thanks for the tips :)

My advice might seem obvious, but the human factor is considered the weakest link of the security process, so it is always extremely important to use caution and prudence when you are surfing the web and reading email. For example, never automatically click on links: not only in the email but also in social media, even if they appear to be from a known and trusted source.

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Thanks for the tips :)

My advice might seem obvious, but the human factor is considered the weakest link of the security process, so it is always extremely important to use caution and prudence when you are surfing the web and reading email. For example, never automatically click on links: not only in the email but also in social media, even if they appear to be from a known and trusted source.
I think all tips, even if they seem "stupid" or "useless", they are NEVER useless but, on the contrary, very important!

tsunami

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 10, 2018
already mentioned but install some sort of a link/file scanner (ie virustotal) to check for suspicious sites/links/attachments/files etc (again can be FUD but it help lessens the percentage of risk). for shortened links use something like unfurlr to investigate where it goes to and scan that as well.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Great suggestions, even if they seem common-sense to many experienced people. Reducing the themes in Firefox may be a tall order because if you like candy and there's a big store there, well....? Besides themes and extensions, you can review your plug-ins, which I found are sometimes useless but default-on. Flash isn't installed by default anymore, is it? I'd set it to never activate/ask to activate. I just disabled this "Widevine" plug-in, (what the heck is it? FF uses my GPU, thanks) and it was the culprit behind the constant 15% CPU use running Firefox/Sandboxie with only like one tab open. Credit post#4 :emoji_ok_hand:

JM Safe

Level 39
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Great suggestions, even if they seem common-sense to many experienced people. Reducing the themes in Firefox may be a tall order because if you like candy and there's a big store there, well....? Besides themes, you can review your plug-ins, which I found are sometimes useless but default-on. Flash isn't installed by default anymore, is it? I'd set it to never activate/ask to activate. I just disabled this "Widevine" plug-in, (what the heck is it? FF uses my GPU, thanks) and it was the culprit behind the constant 15% CPU use running Firefox/Sandboxie with only like one tab open. Credit post#4 :emoji_ok_hand:
I think Sandboxie is a must in a config. WD + Chrome with SBIE = good combo!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.