kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
Of the four AV's you've mentioned, I use Norton. It is light and has very decent detection. I use it for about 4 years and I am very happy with it. Comodo is very good if you configure it the right way and on top of that it's free. I've never used Kaspersky but it has very strong detection according to various tests. Bitdefender is know for it's false positives, but again an excellent choice with lots of extra's.
They are all winners, but according to my experience, I like Norton the most :)

H

hjlbx

Note - system Performance isn't a issue for me, i just want recommendations for the most powerful anti-virus.

These are just general recommendations that most MT members can generally agree upon:
  • Full features => Kaspersky, Bitdefender or Norton
  • Free with sandbox + firewall => COMODO
  • Full manual control of system => COMODO
  • Minimalist user input => Bitdefender
For typical daily use, each one will provide respectable base-line security.

I use COMODO; I have great results with it. It took a long time to learn how it works and how to use it.

If you are novice\beginner, then Norton is probably best option.

Best suggestion is to try the trials to determine which one works the best on your specific system and for you personally; there is no way of predicting how each one will behave on your system - so you have to try each one.

There are reviews of most here at MT, but to be perfectly honest, they give little indication of what your actual experience will be with each soft - since - there are many variables that affect usability, reliability, etc.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
Avira you dont have it on list, work aswell most configure able/friendly setup.
Im confiused you told AV but in topic you tell other features which are included in IS .. so you wanna stand alone av or Internet security (complet pack all in one )

Imo i prefer use few progrmas raither than IS becasue in most IS only av is good and partial firewall rest all is just marketing bulk.

1a) Classic outdate security setup: AV + + Firewall(No HIPS) + BackUP
1b) Classic security AV + AM + FireWall + HIPS + BackUP

2a) Security for current age type 1: AV + Firewall + Sandbox/Partial Virtualization + BackUP
2b) Other Security for current age: AV + Firewall + HIPS + Full Virtualization + BackUP

If you still feel weak you can use addional layers of security which put you next layers like Anti-exe, HIDS or other SRP(Software Restriction Policies)

sugets programs which you would keep eyes in current times are:
Outpost Firewall , SpyShelterFW
NoVirusThanx Exe Radar Pro, AppGuard, WinPatrol, WinPrivacy
Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, Virtual Box, WMware Worstation/Player
Malwarebyes AntiMalware & AntiExploit, Zemana AntiMalware. Hitman Pro

probably most peoples still use typical IS but i prefer use custom build becasue layers security are more efective than in typical IS and most of this programs are compatible beetwen myself, your system can be more light and more secure than wtih typical IS from 1 producent.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Of the four AV's you've mentioned, I use Norton. It is light and has very decent detection. I use it for about 4 years and I am very happy with it. Comodo is very good if you configure it the right way and on top of that it's free. I've never used Kaspersky but it has very strong detection according to various tests. Bitdefender is know for it's false positives, but again an excellent choice with lots of extra's.
They are all winners, but according to my experience, I like Norton the most :)
Norton gives you a virus-free guarantee, if your computer is damaged by malware and Norton missed it they have to compensate you.

Out of the above:

1.) Norton - Virus-Free guarantee and very good detection
2.) Kaspersky - very good detection
3.) Bitdefender - good detection with quite a few false positives
4.) Comodo - medium detection with low protection

In my opinion :)

1.) avast! Premier Anti-Virus with advanced settings on

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Pick either Norton or Kaspersky
Comodo ain't as easy as it may looks like unless you decide to dive in to make changes left right and center; Bitdefender always been a hit or miss in terms of stability
Kaspersky is a bit heavy on some systems and you definitely notice boot time delays but offers decent settings out of the box, while Norton changed a lot and is the most user friendly one out of the box.

Depends what you look in an Antivirus/Internet Security solution. Some swear by avast!, others claim WD is subpar in all aspects while most will ditch McAfee the moment they see the name.

Coder

Level 1
Verified
Sep 6, 2015
Out of the above:

1.) Norton - Virus-Free guarantee and very good detection
2.) Kaspersky - very good detection
3.) Bitdefender - good detection with quite a few false positives
4.) Comodo - medium detection with low protection

In my opinion :)

1.) avast! Premier Anti-Virus with advanced settings on

If yoy tweak Comodo it will be Rock solid.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Another reason to not choose for bitdefender is that there are lots of AV's with bitdefender engine for free now (Qihoo for example), so no need for paid Bitdefender. (there is even bitdefender free)
True. There are many AVs with Bitdefender engine. In fact, it's not on the list, but I would recommend Emsisoft Antimalware.

I would recommend, out the ones you have listed, Kaspersky.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Personally I would choose Kaspersky.
Excellent detection and much lighter than it used to be.
Internet Security has some nice features most of which you can really make use of.
Comodo can be quite complex for some and Norton I have not used in a very very long time
I found Bitdefender to be buggy although it has good detection.
Always the best advice is to pick a couple and them them out

Last edited:

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
User control = Comodo (Norton and Kaspersky also have a lot of control if you just look in the settings... seriously, they are for novice or advanced users)

User intervention (on detection, etc) = Comodo and Kaspersky. Kaspersky require edit of setting. Just one check box and done

Web blocking = Norton, Kaspersky, and Bitdefender are more than good enough. Comodo basically has none without DNS. It's terrible regardless. Web blocking is important for phishing sites. One can argue to look at URL... I can argue it's not always that simple. Use web block add on for browser if you use Comodo (Bitdefender Trafficlight, etc)

Firewall = they all have great firewalls. Comodo is regarded (and tested) to be the better but I'm willing to bet custom settings on Norton and Kaspersky can match up to it. Bitdefender doesn't give much control over anything.

Antivirus = Comodo is very weak here and the rest are great. Don't focus too much on AV. Zero day is the future however AV is still very useful. Not everyone wants to answer 500 dialog boxes (exaggeration) for Comodo HIPS to allow you to install a program. They really should by default contain rules in the cloud to prevent this instead of having to do it yourself...

Zero day malware protection = All of them contain sufficient protection (Comodo needs sandbox, HIPS or both turned on for this).

Performance = Comodo is light on resources and I believe on boot as well. Norton is lightweight on everything (don't turn on aggressive boot protection... only normal or leave it off), Kaspersky is heavy on boot, light on system while fully booted, Bitdefender is heavy on everything. Results may vary on each setup (software) and hardware configuration.

Stability = Norton and Kaspersky are very stable (near bugless if any at all), Bitdefender is probably the most bugged (and trusted) solution out there, Comodo has a large number of bugs but I've never seen it negatively impact performance or security (like with Bitdefender). You'll be fine with Comodo.

NOTE: This contains a combination of opinion, experience, and pure facts without bias from using these on my system and testing in virtual environment (VM - virtual machine) against real threats. If you disagree... sorry. lol

My personal recommendation is Norton or Kaspersky. Both won't disappoint. Comodo might drive you crazy if you want all it can give, and Bitdefender is buggy and sometimes heavy on system. I've had Bitdefender crash many times. I'd stay away from it.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Note - system Performance isn't a issue for me, i just want recommendations for the most powerful anti-virus.

If you want great protection + know how to tweak settings + don't wish to buy anti-virus = Comodo IS
If you want great protection + know how to tweak settings = Kaspersky IS, Norton, Avast IS, Bitdefender IS, Comodo IS.
If you want great protection = Any anti-virus will do.

There is no such thing as the most powerful anti-virus.
It's the user that learn to tweak those AV/IS settings to become more powerful.

Cheers!

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Powerful? Go to Comodo or Kaspersky for comprehensive tweaks and other stuffs, cause a true protection does not rely on traditional methods much although novice user should consider the ease for use.

But don't let steer away for Norton and Bitdefender as it can be alternative case.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Vanduss

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 17, 2015
My personal recommendation is Norton or Kaspersky. Both won't disappoint. Comodo might drive you crazy if you want all it can give, and Bitdefender is buggy and sometimes heavy on system. I've had Bitdefender crash many times. I'd stay away from it.

I think I'm going to go with Kaspersky, thanks.

Reactions: Hangtooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.