Battle Recommend me a antivirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

If yoy tweak Comodo it will be Rock solid.
The whole point of it is not to be able to tweak it, if you tweak any AV you can make it really good but it will not make the detection better just make it more secure. You want one that will work well 'out of the box' and if you want to, you can tweak it.

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
so avast can be now extra o/d scaner and not only o/d can sub work with other av in real time and it will dont harm disk/system ?!

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
Out of the choices you mentioned in the original post, I would personally recommend either Kaspersky or Norton. However, Comodo and Bitdefender are both very good.

In my opinion, I believe that Kaspersky have good signatures and heuristic detection capabilities in the real-time and on-demand scanning engine - the databases are updated on a day-to-day basis as well. At the same time, I also believe that Kaspersky have great malware cleaning capabilities. Based on my experience with Kaspersky Anti-Virus, I would say it is an excellent decision for safeguarding your system. Although, Kaspersky Internet Security has better behavioural-based protection components, such as the Application Control feature which can restrict what a program can do (in other words, it can "redirect" actions like a sandbox can).

A big positive in my opinion aimed towards Comodo would be the sandbox which is available in the free version. If you do not already know, a Sandbox is a feature where programs are isolated, therefore become harmless towards your system. This means if you accidentally downloaded and ran malware, it shouldn't be able to actually harm your system because the actions would be "redirected". In other words, it wouldn't function correctly and make changes to your system.

Bitdefender have a lot of signatures and they're very well-known and popular, so popular that their engine is used by other vendors (Emsisoft, HitmanPro, Zemana to name a few). At the same time, they do tend to have a reputation for having a lot of false positive detections; I wouldn't worry about this too much, the signatures may be a little strong however they are just trying to protect you and they do catch a lot of malware and do a great job at preventing malware infections.

We should also remember that each different company incorporate additional features into their product which can help protect your system. As an example, Bitdefender Anti-Virus Plus contains Anti-spam and anti-ransomware protection components.

If you are a novice user, I recommend just going with the flow and using Norton. If you are happy with spending time tweaking and testing things out to your liking, I would recommend either Kaspersky or Comodo.

An alternate to using a sandbox would be using a Virtual Machine; for a Virtual Machine, I recommend VMWare or VirtualBox.

Reactions: Hangtooth

Coder

Level 1
Verified
Sep 6, 2015
The whole point of it is not to be able to tweak it, if you tweak any AV you can make it really good but it will not make the detection better just make it more secure. You want one that will work well 'out of the box' and if you want to, you can tweak it.

Avast in advance mode is that a tweak?

Comodo does protect very good, how it protects i doesn't matter to me, by signatures
or by sandbox and for me it works well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Avast in advance mode is that a tweak?

Comodo does protect very good, how it protects i doesn't matter to me, by signatures
or by sandbox and for me it works well.
You can download avast! compatibility mode and don't take offence, I was not insulting you but simply saying that depending on the person's experience they may not know to tweak it :)

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
MBAM + MBAE real-time is good, but you might want to add a tiny free real-time antivirus to those just to be safe. MBAM doesn't detect virii =( Lots of good suggestions for free AVs, Avast, Avira, Bitdefender, Panda, even Sophos was good if you want fire and forget.

Here's a recent poll: Free Antivirus of the Year 2015 [POLL]

"Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild"." Does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware replace a...

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Vasudev: As much as possible those suggestions forwarded to you is sufficient to come up an AV setup. They are both good and capable for user level knowledge on how he/she can handle tweaks.

Reactions: Hangtooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.