Recommend me a TP-Link router?

Takashi94

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2018
Recommend me a TP-Link router?(Indian version, to use in India) It must have Wi-Fi range covering a room, it must be model that TP-LINK Regularly update, patch firmware? As well as it must be reasonably secure & at affordable price (1-3k).

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
If an entire brand was dismissed every time one model had problems, there would be no brands to choose from. :(

Why pick that TP-Link as an example anyway? It only supports 802.11n and not 11ac. It is single band. :( It only supports up to 300Mbps which is way too slow these days - especially if there will be multiple users connecting who are streaming. It doesn't even support 1Gbps Ethernet!!!

And what good does it do for the OP or anyone else reading to not recommend a viable alternative? :(

While TP-Link is not my preferred brand, the company does make other good products that do not suffer from the security flaw. For example, the TP-Link AC1200 Smart WiFi Dual-band Gigabit Router would be a great alternative that would give you plenty of range and band width. And being Dual-channel, it would support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless devices. It even has a USB port to support network printing or storage. All for an affordable price. The Archer C50 is another affordable option, though it only supports 100Mbps Ethernet (which is still fast for your local networking tasks).

Sorry Takashi, I don't have prices or availability for India but you can use those features as a guide. For sure, try to go for something that supports 1Gbps (1000Mbps) Ethernet. Also, at the very least 600Mbps wifi. If you have multiple wireless devices that will be connecting at the same time, and especially if you will be streaming videos, you want the fastest wifi possible. I recommend trying for 1200AC even if it means waiting a couple months to build up the budget.

Since Belkin took over Linksys, I now like (and use) Linksys products again. I am very happy with my Linksys EA7500, though it may be out of your price range. I have also had great experiences with NetGear and D-Link. Many have recommended ASUS. Of course, if only TP-Link is available in your area, that is what you are stuck with.

Speaking of the budget, ‪it would be good if you can bump up your budget. 3000‬ Rupee is not a lot. 4000 (or more) would give you more and better options.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
For basic home use, is it worth the money to buy a more expensive router? What do you get?
I don't think an extra-secure router for home use is worth paying extra for, because who's gonna hack you, anyway?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Last edited:

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
For basic home use, is it worth the money to buy a more expensive router? What do you get?
I don't think an extra-secure router for home use is worth paying extra for, because who's gonna hack you, anyway?
Security, of course, is important. But you typically buy a more expensive router because it offers more bandwidth (supports faster and more simultaneous connections), and provides greater range. Any router, even the most basic, is MUCH MORE secure than no router (direct connect to modem) AS LONG AS you change the default admin password and wifi passphrase and AS LONG AS you keep your computer's operating system and security current and you are not "click happy" on unsolicited downloads, links, attachments and popups.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Security, of course, is important. But you typically buy a more expensive router because it offers more bandwidth (supports faster and more simultaneous connections), and provides greater range. Any router, even the most basic, is MUCH MORE secure than no router (direct connect to modem) AS LONG AS you change the default admin password and wifi passphrase and AS LONG AS you keep your computer's operating system and security current and you are not "click happy" on unsolicited downloads, links, attachments and popups.
Thanks. Greater range is indeed an important issue to me. How can you know if the model you are considering gives you greater range?
When the connecting device is at the outer limits of the reception range, that is usually when you get the extreme slowdowns and poor performance.
Until now, I have been using the router supplied by my ISP, and I never looked much at routers. But I switched ISP now, so either I pay them for their (now used) router, or I buy my own. Or I could buy the router of my new ISP, in installments.

Reactions: Weebarra

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Read the reviews. Using the latest 802.11ac offers faster speeds, but more significantly, greater range. 11ac also supports more antennas which can help with range too.

See this: 802.11ac vs 802.11n WiFi: What's The Difference?

I always buy my own network gear. And I buy separate wireless router and modem. In this way, if my router dies, I don't need to buy a new modem. Also if you buy from a store instead of the ISP, you can be sure you are not getting a modified device.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Read the reviews. Using the latest 802.11ac offers faster speeds, but more significantly, greater range. 11ac also supports more antennas which can help with range too.

See this: 802.11ac vs 802.11n WiFi: What's The Difference?

I always buy my own network gear. And I buy separate wireless router and modem. In this way, if my router dies, I don't need to buy a new modem. Also if you buy from a store instead of the ISP, you can be sure you are not getting a modified device.
Thanks. I didn't even realize it, but apparently I am using 11n, and not 11ac. Not worth paying for!

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Umm, it turns out my laptop only supports N.
Will I gain anything from an AC router?

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
Will I gain anything from an AC router?
Future proofing! If your current notebook dies, is stolen or the battery explodes and you have to buy another notebook, it likely will come with 11ac. If you currently have a cell phone, they typically switch to wifi for data when able. It may be 11ac and/or your next one will too. If you get a smart TV or Blue-ray player, it likely will come with 11ac.

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
Future proofing! If your current notebook dies, is stolen or the battery explodes and you have to buy another notebook, it likely will come with 11ac. If you currently have a cell phone, they typically switch to wifi for data when able. It may be 11ac and/or your next one will too. If you get a smart TV or Blue-ray player, it likely will come with 11ac.

Then we get to look forward to 802.11ax or WIFI 6 :LOL: and WPA3.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

If you currently have a cell phone, they typically switch to wifi for data when able.
If Adaptive Wifi option is enabled. There's also an option in android dev settings to keep both data plan and Wifi on, and that actually helped me to reset TP-Link router settings for client home, connecting through teamviewer to other android with data plan on > then through the clients mobile browser access router. Many somehow end up misconfiguring their TP-Link in my country, since it's pushed through ISP's and people here in 250k+ apartments/houses use just the most basic ones sold for about 13€.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.