Recommend me an AV

L

Lucent Warrior

"I would personally find it irresponsible for myself to recommend to anyone anything other than default deny." "Protection is more important than simple usability!"
I fully agree that Deny/Default is up to date the best method for keeping a system clean, however, i disagree that Protection is more important then Simple Usability, the reason is quite simple in itself, and in the form of a question....

What good is my computer to me if it is fully locked down but usability suffers, the whole point to owning a computer is using it.

A balance of Protection/Knowledge and Usability is what needs to be sought out.

chojo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
Woah, great community, so many replies, very helpful guys, thank you.

I tried Avast in the past, but I don't like the notifications (ads) that come with it. In promotion, a paid AV is just +/- 20$, since i'm quite often on my PC, I prefer to pay the 20$ to not get those notifications that bug me. ^.^

Some people here discussed that Windows defender + Windows firewall is good, are they really? My PC use Windows 10, so I should just let Windows to protect my PC paired with MBAM and everything should be fine?

L

Lucent Warrior

I tried Avast in the past, but I don't like the notifications (ads) that come with it. In promotion, a paid AV is just +/- 20$, since i'm quite often on my PC, I prefer to pay the 20$ to not get those notifications that bug me. ^.^

Some people here discussed that Windows defender + Windows firewall is good, are they really? My PC use Windows 10, so I should just let Windows to protect my PC paired with MBAM and everything should be fine?
Windows Firewall with Advanced Security
Windows Defender
Smartscreen
UAC
Backups for system and personal files
Decent Ad blocker to help protect you while browsing "I always recommend Ublock Origin"
A decent on demand/Companion of your choice, Mbam is ok, i prefer others as MBAM last i seen, was not performing up to standards. I recommend Zemana Anti Malware if your going to chose a On Demand/Companion to pair with Windows Defaults.

And last, but not least, good surfing habits, learn these and you shall fair well.

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
Windows defender got better but is dies still not offer the same protection other good AV offer.
A lot depends on your "cyber habits", on how easily you click on links, files etc.
Since nowadays you can even get infected by visiting "safe sites", an ad blocker ir recommended as probably an anti-exploit.
I still feel safer with a better AV than defender.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

yes, WD is good enough in most cases but to ensure your system is safer
I suggest to install zemana antimalware. They are both light and cover most infections
you can find zemana giveaway keys (400 days) on the internet

WD + zemana = very good protection + good usability

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I want to install an AV soon to pair with my current Malwaresbytes installation. I don't want to mess with the configuration too much, just want a install-and-forget installation type. My PC have decent performance.

What AV you recommend me to pair with MalwaresBytes that is noob-friendly?

Bonus: I have read that Bitdefender have an auto-pilot. Is Bitdefender 2017 decent and compatible with Malwarebytes?

Thank you

I only have two suggestions:

Non-AV: Voodooshield Free Auto-Mode.
Pros: There's no way you can configure them (only paid version could) so it's literally install and forget type.
Cons: Expect notifications which you can control whether u wan allow or block when suspicious file occur.

AV: Bitdefender Free.
Pros: Again, there's also no way for you to configure (only paid version do). Everything is auto. Another install and forget type.
Cons: 'Turtle" your speed considerably like opening folders, browsers, etc..

D

Deleted member 2913

Noob friendly setup -
I would install Avast Free, check that PUP is enabled & will enable Hardened Mode Aggressive.
Install Unchecky & uBlock Origin
Free HitmanPro & MBAM for ondemand scan.

You can take care of Avast GUI ads, Upgrade tab on the GUI, tray popup ads, etc... with a simple block rule in Windows Firewall. It will not affect protection or cloud connection, etc... Only online help content in the GUI will not be available. I have used Avast Free the way for a long time with no probs.

Y

yigido

Noob friendly setup -
I would install Avast Free, check that PUP is enabled & will enable Hardened Mode Aggressive.
Install Unchecky & uBlock Origin
Free HitmanPro & MBAM for ondemand scan.

You can take care of Avast GUI ads, Upgrade tab on the GUI, tray popup ads, etc... with a simple block rule in Windows Firewall. It will not affect protection or cloud connection, etc... Only online help content in the GUI will not be available. I have used Avast Free the way for a long time with no probs.
N00b guys cannot maintain Avast.. even they cannot change those settings :)
This is why we called them novice users. Novice users can be tricked by Avast GUI ads ;) Can a novice user find and change host file lol :D

D

Deleted member 2913

N00b guys cannot maintain Avast.. even they cannot change those settings :)
This is why we called them novice users. Novice users can be tricked by Avast GUI ads ;) Can a novice user find and change host file lol :D
He just have to check PUP is enabled & have to enable Hardened Mode Aggressive...Its easy & we can show & help him here.

Block rule for popups, ads, etc... is simple too...I have it in notepad & can PM him...its a simple rule to add & will not be a prob for him.

Reactions: askmark
Y

yigido

He just have to check PUP is enabled & have to enable Hardened Mode Aggressive...Its easy & we can show & help him here.

Block rule for popups, ads, etc... is simple too...I have it in notepad & can PM him...its a simple rule to add & will not be a prob for him.
I can give him a "remote support".. I will give him all settings via access for FREE just for his sake!
With this way everything will be easy ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

You can create a new topic for your PC's Security here:
https://malwaretips.com/forums/security-configuration-wizard.12/

It will provide us a more in-depth understanding of your PC and intentions.

chojo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
You can create a new topic for your PC's Security here:
https://malwaretips.com/forums/security-configuration-wizard.12/

It will provide us a more in-depth understanding of your PC and intentions.
There it is https://malwaretips.com/threads/chojos-config.64239/

Hope it will help you to suggest me something good for me.

So far, I guess it's between Eset, Kapersky and Avast (free)? I should say that i'm terribly annoyed by Avast ads, it is a better premium product than the other two?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
There it is https://malwaretips.com/threads/chojos-config.64239/

Hope it will help you to suggest me something good for me.

So far, I guess it's between Eset, Kapersky and Avast (free)? I should say that i'm terribly annoyed by Avast ads, it is a better premium product than the other two?
you can download free trial to test ESET and kaspersky. Both are excellent. I should say kaspersky is the best of of those 3 however, it requires a few clicks to make it work better
You try before you can decide to find out which one is the least annoying for you
Kaspersky has 91-day trial or just use a regular 30-day trial, you can find the way to get it. I'm not sure if Eset has it

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Norton Security is a good choice where honestly you don't need to mess the configuration cause the cloud protection will do everything to protect your system.

SONAR is accurately effective against unknown behaviors and light in the resources.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.