Recommend me an AV

chojo

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
I want to install an AV soon to pair with my current Malwaresbytes installation. I don't want to mess with the configuration too much, just want a install-and-forget installation type. My PC have decent performance.

What AV you recommend me to pair with MalwaresBytes that is noob-friendly?

Bonus: I have read that Bitdefender have an auto-pilot. Is Bitdefender 2017 decent and compatible with Malwarebytes?

Thank you

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I want to install an AV soon to pair with my current Malwaresbytes installation. I don't want to mess with the configuration too much, just want a install-and-forget installation type. My PC have decent performance.

Bonus: I have read that Bitdefender have an auto-pilot. Is Bitdefender 2017 decent and compatible with Malwarebytes?

Thank you
BitDefender as you know sports some pretty good Sig based protection.
What I would do is run EmsiSoft Internet Security with MBAM, that will prove to be more quiet and less intrusive
as you are requiring. Try both and see what you think they are both very solid products and let us know brother.
Either will compliment MBAM nicely ;)
PeAcE
EDIT: further down notice Bora's post he is right I forgot about that, If your going to run the BD MBAM combo, install BD first then install MBAM and it will work, BD is just a lil picky

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hello @chojo

Be aware that Bitdefender may (and probably will) ask you to uninstall Malwarebytes as conflicted product. We could say that Bitdefender doesn't like any additional security software installed besides it. There are many AV products nowadays that can be configured in "set and forget" mode like Avast, ESET, Kaspersky...
Do you prefer free or paid product?

Vanduss

Level 2
Verified
Dec 17, 2015
Windows defender if you're using windows 10 as it's protection is good and doesn't have nagware + it's free.

Qihoo 360 is also good if you're looking for a 3rd party av.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Hello @chojo

Be aware that Bitdefender may (and probably will) ask you to uninstall Malwarebytes as conflicted product. We could say that Bitdefender doesn't like any additional security software installed besides it. There are many AV products nowadays that can be configured in "set and forget" mode like Avast, ESET, Kaspersky...
Do you prefer free or paid product?
Notice Bora's post he is right I forgot about that, If your going to run the BD MBAM combo, install BD first then install MBAM and it will work, BD is just a lil picky

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Noob friendly + set & forget, I suggest avast free
If you have a little time to tweak it a bit, it will work better + lighter
It's an offline + online AV -> better for average users

I strongly don't recommend cloud-based or 80-90% cloud-based AVs which users may get infected easily in offline

edit: for paid products, I don't think Bitdefender is good because it's a bit buggy for me. Kaspersky is better IMO

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Those AVs whihc have local database, Can they protect you while you offline?
There is no guarantee.. these default-allow antivirus mechanism has this problem.. if you are using default-allow cloud AV
Still better than nothing
I just suggest what I think which is the best for him in terms of security and usability. I don't wanna compare products' features
I suggest avast and maybe kaspersky IS if he is willing to pay because they work pretty well with default settings MalwareTips malware hub proved that. With minimal tweaks, they would work even better

comodo is not for everyone and it requires a a bit advanced tweaks, I believe he doesn't want comodo too just because he wants to set-n-forget (not true in case of autosandbox, we have to empty the sandbox manually)

Y

yigido

Still better than nothing
I just suggest what I think which is the best for him in terms of security and usability. I don't wanna compare products' features
I suggest avast and maybe kaspersky IS if he is willing to pay because they work pretty well with default settings. With minimal tweaks, they would work even better

comodo is not for everyone and it requires a a bit advanced tweaks, I believe he doesn't want comodo too just because he wants to set-n-forget (not true in case of autosandbox, we have to empty the sandbox manually)

Then those user should not be surprised when they got infected..with n00b configs.. Protection is more important than simple usability!
What happen when the novice avarage Joe got infected ?? They started to "struggle to repair an infected system."
They will lose their trust on antivirus softwares and security on their internet. With such setups, the novice user never realized that his/her data stolen!!

Wise man said;
"I would personally find it irresponsible for myself to recommend to anyone anything other than default deny."

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Then those user should not be surprised when they got infected..with n00b configs.. Protection is more important than simple usability!
What happen when the novice avarage Joe got infected ?? They started to "struggle to repair an infected system."
They will lose their trust on antivirus softwares and security on their internet. With such setups, the novice user never realized that his/her data stolen!!

Wise man said;
"I would personally find it irresponsible for myself to recommend to anyone anything other than default deny."
this topic between usabity and security will never end :)
You already said
I came here to suggest Comodo, but Comodo is for smart guys not noobs!
the OP asked
I answered avast and KIS because ...bla bla bla... as simple as that :)

Y

yigido

The questioner can ask such question but I am here to tell people which is better and safe for them.
Everyone offering a software "I am using ABC for 10000 years with no problem" "Install XYZ and you are good to go" etc.
I am saying again.
"I would personally find it irresponsible for myself to recommend to anyone anything other than default deny." "Protection is more important than simple usability!"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.