Advice Request Recommendation For PC upgrade

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Currently Using GTX 1070

Should i upgrade it now or await further?

And if you could advise what are the various concerns that i should be aware of. Currently using 2 monitors with the "better" one (ACER KG271P 27 INCH LCD MONITOR).

Main Purpose of usage.
- Surfing Net
- Gaming
- Youtube
- Work

OS NameMicrosoft Windows 10 Home
Version10.0.18363 Build 18363
OS ManufacturerMicrosoft Corporation
System ManufacturerMicro-Star International Co., Ltd.
System ModelMS-7B98
System Typex64-based PC
ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3192 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/DateAmerican Megatrends Inc. 1.10, 8/22/2018
BIOS ModeUEFI
BaseBoard ManufacturerMicro-Star International Co., Ltd.
BaseBoard ProductZ390-A PRO (MS-7B98)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory11.6 GB
Total Virtual Memory31.9 GB
Available Virtual Memory24.7 GB
Page File Space16.0 GB

Reactions: Brahman and Nevi

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Unless you are going to upgrade your monitor from 1080p to 1440p or 4K I do not see anything wrong with your current setup
or a need to upgrade your GPU.

Depending on what work you do a 12 threaded CPU may not be the most productive in very heavy multi-threaded work loads
but it should still be fine for the majority of people.

16GB RAM is great for both Gaming and work.

Are you running a M.2 drive with that motherboard ?

Last edited:

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Unless you are going to upgrade your monitor from 1080p to 1440p or 4K I do see anything wrong with your current setup
or a need to upgrade your GPU.

Depending on what work you do a 12 threaded CPU may not be the most productive in very heavy multi-threaded work loads
but it should still be fine for the majority of people.

16GB RAM is great for both Gaming and work.

Are you running a M.2 drive with that motherboard ?
Okay.

yes, i am running a M.2 on the motherboard.

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Wait after scalping prices and crisis are over. Why do you want to upgrade and whats wrong with it? i7 8700k is still relevant and GTX 1070.

solely because of gaming purpose and i thought if i could upgrade then what's next to come.

those upcoming games seems to get better as usual and i feel that gtx1070 seems to "under-perform" on the graphic details.
what would you say?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
You can consider benchmarking your 1070 and comparing its performance to like-minded others.

Guru3D has some benchmarking software you can try for free.

A somewhat less reliable but faster tool is User Benchmark and there's always Passmark.

I have a Founders Edition gtx 1080 and sometimes I wonder if it's starting to slide downhill. It benches OK, not the best, though but I don't overclock it, just undervolt a smidge. Now is definitely NOT the time, gpu-wise. There was word the other day that consistent NVIDIA stock wouldn't be happening until nest year. Who knows but I'm not risking it.

For upgrades, it would depend on the demands you have graphics-wise. Could be anything: a 3060, 3060ti, 3070, etc. Or wait for the 4000 series, maybe.

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
You can consider benchmarking your 1070 and comparing its performance to like-minded others.

Guru3D has some benchmarking software you can try for free.

A somewhat less reliable but faster tool is User Benchmark and there's always Passmark.

I have a Founders Edition gtx 1080 and sometimes I wonder if it's starting to slide downhill. It benches OK, not the best, though but I don't overclock it, just undervolt a smidge. Now is definitely NOT the time, gpu-wise. There was word the other day that consistent NVIDIA stock wouldn't be happening until nest year. Who knows but I'm not risking it.

For upgrades, it would depend on the demands you have graphics-wise. Could be anything: a 3060, 3060ti, 3070, etc. Or wait for the 4000 series, maybe.

Actually GTX 1080 is surprisingly good, some of the 20xx series can't outperform it's "ancestor" but HELL yaaa the cost for 1080 is still consider steep. :rolleyes:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
solely because of gaming purpose and i thought if i could upgrade then what's next to come.

those upcoming games seems to get better as usual and i feel that gtx1070 seems to "under-perform" on the graphic details.
what would you say?
what games and what resolution? GTX 1070 is still good for 1080P.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
1080p? Your card is overkill for these games in 1080P and maybe in 1440p but not in 4k afaik.

i guess so, but i have tried to push it bit further while playing ffxiv then it starts to get "laggy".
setting a dimension of 30xx by 20xx (60fps) 🙃

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
i guess so, but i have tried to push it bit further while playing ffxiv then it starts to get "laggy".
could be corrupted game files or buggy or something like that. According to this test, GTX 1070 is still overkill in 1080p for that game.

Reactions: Venustus and Nevi

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Do you meant to say not much difference ?

But like what @JoyousBudweiser said, probably i will hold on to it first then further upgrade when the time is right.
Yeah. Get a used rtx 30 series or brand new rtx 40 series when pandemic and supply & demand issue are over. Building a pc or upgrading pc right now is bad time because you are overpaying and getting rip off from scalpers.

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Yeah. Get a used rtx 30 series or brand new rtx 40 series when pandemic and supply & demand issue are over. Building a pc or upgrading pc right now is bad time because you are overpaying and getting rip off from scalpers.

Alrighty !

And i have a little query here, how do we know MOBO compatibility with some of these latest graphics card, will they cause any bottleneck issue ?

Reactions: Nevi

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Alrighty !

And i have a little query here, how do we know MOBO compatibility with some of these latest graphics card, will they cause any bottleneck issue ?
rtx 30 series can run on pcie 3. Performance different between pcie 3 and pcie 4 for gpu is very small. It is the same with RX 5700 series runs on pcie 3 and pcie 4. I am not sure about RTX 40 series, but I doubt it will be minor performance different from pcie 3 vs pcie 4.

Speaking if your cpu will bottleneck rtx 40 series is idk because I along with other people have no idea on rtx 40 series. For rtx 30 series, is depend on game, game settings, resolution, and fps you are looking for. 1080p @ 144fps on ultra settings, you might see minor like 10% to 15% bottleneck because your cpu is working harder than gpu at lower resolution. When you move up higher resolution, this is where your gpu is going to work harder than your cpu. Your i7 8700k is going to be fine for rtx 30 series for now if you are not looking into high fps chart like 144 but over 60 can guarantee.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.