Advice Request Recommendation For PC upgrade

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
rtx 30 series can run on pcie 3. Performance different between pcie 3 and pcie 4 for gpu is very small. It is the same with RX 5700 series runs on pcie 3 and pcie 4. I am not sure about RTX 40 series, but I doubt it will be minor performance different from pcie 3 vs pcie 4.

Speaking if your cpu will bottleneck rtx 40 series is idk because I along with other people have no idea on rtx 40 series. For rtx 30 series, is depend on game, game settings, resolution, and fps you are looking for. 1080p @ 144fps on ultra settings, you might see minor like 10% to 15% bottleneck because your cpu is working harder than gpu at lower resolution. When you move up higher resolution, this is where your gpu is going to work harder than your cpu. Your i7 8700k is going to be fine for rtx 30 series for now if you are not looking into high fps chart like 144 but over 60 can guarantee.

i see, then i will setting my eyes on rtx30 series then.

Thank you so much for your kind advice, i will find and read up more from here onward.

Thanks @SumTingWong !

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
i see, then i will setting my eyes on rtx30 series then.

Thank you so much for your kind advice, i will find and read up more from here onward.

Thanks @SumTingWong !
This video will give you more insight. It is comparing i7 8700k and i7 10700k with rtx 3080. Your cpu is the same if not better than Ryzen 5 3600. Base on my prediction, it can go on another 2 to 3 years possible. Upgrade when DDR5 and PCIE 5 come out.

Last edited:

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Alrighty !

And i have a little query here, how do we know MOBO compatibility with some of these latest graphics card, will they cause any bottleneck issue ?
At that time upgrade to a ryzen processor and a compatible motherboard, it will surely be supportive of whatever requirements an rtx40 series cards would throw at you.

Boring

Level 2
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
AMD over intel because better performance / price and security.

AMD (you wrote Ryzen which is AMD CPU, not GPU) over Nvidia because lower price.

RYZEN
- So do i require liquid cooling system ? Because i live in a tropical country which is rather warm already.
- Power consumption significant as compared to intel ?

RADEON
- lower in price but performance about the same as Nvidia ?

I could be outdated on the above information, appreciate if you could correct me.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
The AMD Ryzen 7 5800X has emerged as the fastest processor we can recommend to gamers for play at any resolution. We could have gone with the 12-core Ryzen 9 5900X or even maxed out this platform with the 16-core 5950X, but neither would be faster at gaming, and both would be significantly more expensive. AMD certainly wants to sell you the more expensive (overpriced?) CPU, but the Ryzen 7 5800X is actually the fastest option because of its single CCD architecture. Our goal with GPU test systems over the past decade has consistently been to use the fastest mainstream-desktop processor. Over the years, this meant a $300-something Core i7 K-series LGA115x chip making room for the $500 i9-9900K. The 5900X doesn't sell for anywhere close to this mark, and we'd rather not use an overpriced processor just because we can. You'll also notice that we skipped upgrading to the 10-core "Comet Lake" Core i9-10900K processor from the older i9-9900K because we saw no significant increases and negligible gaming performance gains, especially considering the large overclock on the i9-9900K. The additional two cores do squat for nearly all gaming situations, which is the second reason besides pricing that had us decide against the Ryzen 9 5900X.

relative-performance_1920-1080.png

Performance per Watt​

energy-efficiency.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Freki123

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
RYZEN
- So do i require liquid cooling system ? Because i live in a tropical country which is rather warm already.
- Power consumption significant as compared to intel ?
Afaik the Ryzen takes a lot less power then the new intels. So if you care about heat maybe take a look at the power consumption (Peak power). Because more poweruse = more heat (atleast thats what I would think).
Didn't find the other comparison I was looking for.

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

You dont need geforce experience and it is optional, unless NVIDIA change it for mandatory. Unlike this amd driver, it comes with it.
by default, their driver install everything.
Only with external third-party tools you can choice between components.

not that i experience when i had my gtx 970 then sold it. Look at this bloatware on amd driver. You have a browser inside the gpu driver like what in the....
View attachment 255348
Same also for Nvidia but AMD doesn't need an account for all their stuff.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.