Recommended Software Updaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Why do you want an updater when most of the Programs have their inbuilt updater. For example Chrome has its inbuilt updater and it updates automatically, and that too their resource usage does not interrupt your work. I would highly recommend you to ignore such software and avoid getting into mess like you have already been.
I was also once a user of such kind of program called File Hippo App Manager. I dont need them now because its unnecessary to have such kind. When use use such kind of software some kind of your information can be leaked to the web which you dont want it to happen.
So using a built in updater are more safe and reliable. Always ensure you backup your system if u are using any updater software. So you can roll back if any damage is been done by the software after updating.

Reactions: Logethica

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Why do you want an updater when most of the Programs have their inbuilt updater. For example Chrome has its inbuilt updater and it updates automatically, and that too their resource usage does not interrupt your work. I would highly recommend you to ignore such software and avoid getting into mess like you have already been.
I was also once a user of such kind of program called File Hippo App Manager. I dont need them now because its unnecessary to have such kind. When use use such kind of software some kind of your information can be leaked to the web which you dont want it to happen.
So using a built in updater are more safe and reliable. Always ensure you backup your system if u are using any updater software. So you can roll back if any damage is been done by the software after updating.
But i do not use chrome and PatchMyPc works great so why not use it. ;)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
But i do not use chrome and PatchMyPc works great so why not use it. ;)
As I have mentioned you, I have no trust in such softwares. Indeed its just an example which I gave as for chrome. The built in updater is present in almost 99% softwares which you use. Even portable applications nowadays have have their own updater. I agree with your thaught that its easy and convenient to use softwares like u already mentioned, but if you want privacy over your stuffs u have to be away from such sw.
I have also tried certain softwares like SUMO, Secunia PSI etc.. all of them are buggy and doesn't work smoothly even though I have an SSD. This is also one of the reason I stopped using such software.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
This is another reason to move over to linux.The software manager updates everything on your system automatically.

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
As I have mentioned you, I have no trust in such softwares. Indeed its just an example which I gave as for chrome. The built in updater is present in almost 99% softwares which you use. Even portable applications nowadays have have their own updater. I agree with your thaught that its easy and convenient to use softwares like u already mentioned, but if you want privacy over your stuffs u have to be away from such sw.
I have also tried certain softwares like SUMO, Secunia PSI etc.. all of them are buggy and doesn't work smoothly even though I have an SSD. This is also one of the reason I stopped using such software.

Regarding SUMo, i'd like to know what you found buggy when you tried it. May i get more details in PM ? thanks :)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Regarding SUMo, i'd like to know what you found buggy when you tried it. May i get more details in PM ? thanks :)
I believe there is no requirement for a PM, since this is a casual thread of the same kind of discussions of the type of products we are discussing.
Well
  • Primarily The UI doesnt show up fast for me even though I have an SSD and 8 GB of Ram.
  • The scan doesn't happen smoothly, window becomes 2-3 times unresponsive during the scan. Were as filehippo goes complete smoothly.
  • Even after the scan the list doesnt shows properly, Unable to scroll, selection of update process.
I guess I am clear now @Kyle_Katarn o_O

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@mal1: Yes the updater of Filehippo is safe.

However you should watch for software as some are bundled with their download manager that contains bundled products so the updater will likely include if found new version of current program.

Reactions: Hangtooth and mal1

Kyle_Katarn

From KC Softwares
Verified
Developer
Sep 28, 2013
I believe there is no requirement for a PM, since this is a casual thread of the same kind of discussions of the type of products we are discussing.
Well
  • Primarily The UI doesnt show up fast for me even though I have an SSD and 8 GB of Ram.
  • The scan doesn't happen smoothly, window becomes 2-3 times unresponsive during the scan. Were as filehippo goes complete smoothly.
  • Even after the scan the list doesnt shows properly, Unable to scroll, selection of update process.
I guess I am clear now @Kyle_Katarn o_O

I've been doing lots of improvement on all these "stuck" HMI issues recently. You should maybe retry on v4.1.8 :)

Thanks for these feedback anyway.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I like sUMO free myself, but don't be tempted to try dUMO, their offering for driver updates. I made that mistake once...

Sorry, Kyle, love sumo, but dumo scared me off =)

Kaffee4Eck

Level 1
Verified
Dec 6, 2015
I like sUMO free myself, but don't be tempted to try dUMO, their offering for driver updates. I made that mistake once...

Sorry, Kyle, love sumo, but dumo scared me off =)

If you want a driver updater try iObit Driver Booster 3.1 or Driver Magican both are great but Driver Booster uses never Versions and a huger Database. :)

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I think driver updaters are really hard to make so I don't blame them for not being that reliable. For instance the some of the drivers for the OEM hardware on my motherboard are different than the drivers for the actual non-oem products. I now just go to my motherboard manufacturer for any drivers and only run what they offer.

Similarly, I just go to the source of whatever hardware I am trying to update to be sure I get the best driver from products I need to update that way.

The driver updater utilities usually want you to load drivers from the manufacturer of the OEM component's site which may be newer, but which might not even work with the OEM version I have.

That's just an example, and your mileage may vary. I have just found in the past I am better off manually hunting down driver updates.

Installed applications (SUMo) are much easier to do in that the newest version will usually run on anyone's machine, regardless of what hardware they are using. There are always exceptions, but I find using SUMo actually saves me some time in finding software updates.

I don't mind Hippo, but I find SUMo usally gives me a better list, and I like downloading them from where I want, not from Hippo with as somebody pointed out, added crapware =(

Sorry if it sounded like I was ragging on DUMo, Kyle, it's a fine product, I just don't trust any of the driver updaters period.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015

Thanks, playing with it and it looks pretty good =)

EDIT: Liked it so much I installed it on both machines and got two licenses before it goes paid. Thanks very much for the pointer, Terry. I had never heard of this one and it actually works very well!

EDIT2: It decided it didn't like a driver on my second machine and I mistakenly let it try to 'repair it' Hilarity ensued resulting in a system restore from the previous day. Driver Talent removed for safety.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.