Advice Request Recommended Standalone Anti Keylogging & Anti Screenshot Software?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

spurkza

Thread author
Nov 5, 2021
Newbie to this forum, but not to computer security. Looking for recommendations for standalone anti keylogging and anti screenshot software, free or nominal cost ideal, that you currently or recently used, as personally consider loggers and capturers the greatest security threats beside ransomware. Since already have other antivirus and anti malware software, Norton 360 Deluxe and lifetime license Malwarebytes Premium latest versions, am not looking for another layer of software with coverage for some of the same such as SpyShelter or Zemana. Several pages of Google of dozens of search results provide limited personal use options. I am currently experimenting with KeyScrambler, Ghostpress, and ScreenWings, but I can see how each of these can be hacked (not saying how) if by slim chance a logger gets through my current antivirus and anti malware software.

Additional information to limit any confusion. At the AV Test Independent IT Security Institute website, both Norton and Malwarebytes in their detailed reports are rated as 99% effective though on a Windows 10 system. Until world supply chain shortages causing major shipping delays of new laptops per news reports are mostly resolved, choosing not to go through that frustration and holding on to my current laptop with Windows 7 SP1 for now (for reasons cannot upgrade operating system on current laptop). Also per Malwarebytes PDF documentation, Norton is compatible with it. As for other security, cable company router (old) though connect with ethernet cable, and use ScriptSafe plug in for Firefox and SUMo Software Updater, and keep regular backups of important files and have backup laptop which limitedly use.

Note to moderator: Since am brand new to this forum, if by chance I made an inadvertent mistake with this post, please either correct or email or private message me suggesting how to correct.

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Keyloggers or screenshot capture malware are basically covered by your AV under malware protection.
A good AV should be able to detect them and stop them far better than any 3rd party app would.

Norton 360: Uses artificial intelligence and machine learning to detect and block advanced malware, including even the most well-disguised keyloggers

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Newbie to this forum, but not to computer security. Looking for recommendations for standalone anti keylogging and anti screenshot software, free or nominal cost ideal, that you currently or recently used,

As standalone software for this purpose... From my user experience, I recommend Spyshelter Premium, although it's expensive and must be always paid annually.
Note: I have been purchased a cheaper "lifetime" license of Spyshelter Premium/Firewall, that was long time ago, but it's no longer offered by the vendor Datpol.

kC77

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
I use Spyshelter firewall, fantastic hips/anti keylogger, and it does feature an "anti screen shot" feature called ScreenPhantom, however it only blocks on the primary display (if like me you have extended displays, they are unprotected by that feature.

however in the normal rules you can enable "antiscreenshotting" to allow/deny per process

1636118863930.png

Last edited by a moderator:

spurkza

Thread author
Nov 5, 2021
SpyShelter good recommendation for many others if it works for them. By for myself, until recently used it (SpyShelter Premium) until it stopped working. Found the keystroke protection toggle was off and could not be reenabled and with their free test application both anti-keylogging and anti-screen capture both failed. Standard troubleshooting with SpyShelter support did not help, and they were unwilling to help further. They suggested checking SHA-2 signature recognition which that and other Windows Updates already installed. However, SHA-2 works for KeyScrambler and other applications on my machine. Got help from another tech forum before joining here who found SpyShelterKb driver not loading at startup, but no clue how to fix. SpyShelter's only other suggestion was to rebuild my PC. As laptop working otherwise, need a stronger reason to spend hours and/or days rebuilding PC, having lots of applications installed, being a part time caregiver for an elderly relative.

KeyScrambler or SpyShelter. I personally really like KeyScramber as it is very simplistic and easy to understand for inexperienced users.
Like KeyScrambler too as can see it working. Can see it working in my browsers with the free version. Just wish it had password protection to lock the app which then can justify going to one of their paid versions which provides protection for other of my software which use.

Last edited:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
SpyShelter good recommendation for many others if it works for them. By for myself, until recently used it (SpyShelter Premium) until it stopped working. Found the keystroke protection toggle was off and could not be reenabled and with their free test application both anti-keylogging and anti-screen capture both failed. Standard troubleshooting with SpyShelter support did not help, and they were unwilling to help further. They suggested checking SHA-2 signature recognition which that and other Windows Updates already installed. However, SHA-2 works for KeyScrambler and other applications on my machine. Got help from another tech forum before joining here who found SpyShelterKb driver not loading at startup, but no clue how to fix. SpyShelter's only other suggestion was to rebuild my PC. As laptop working otherwise, need a stronger reason to spend hours and/or days rebuilding PC, having lots of applications installed, being a part time caregiver for an elderly relative.

Like KeyScrambler too as can see it working. Can see it working in my browsers with the free version. Just wish it had password protection to lock the app which then can justify going to one of their paid versions which provides protection for other of my software which use.
Only other software that I know which has keylogging protection integrated and which can be run alongside your main AV is HitmanPro.Alert. It's really light and has some extra modules for exploit protection and attack surface reduction.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Keyloggers or screenshot capture malware are basically covered by your AV under malware protection.
A good AV should be able to detect them and stop them far better than any 3rd party app would.

Yup, agree with The King, instead of adding another layer just rely on Norton and MB.

Mohan Rajan

Level 2
Verified
May 7, 2016
Newbie to this forum, but not to computer security. Looking for recommendations for standalone anti keylogging and anti screenshot software, free or nominal cost ideal, that you currently or recently used, as personally consider loggers and capturers the greatest security threats beside ransomware. Since already have other antivirus and anti malware software, Norton 360 Deluxe and lifetime license Malwarebytes Premium latest versions, am not looking for another layer of software with coverage for some of the same such as SpyShelter or Zemana. Several pages of Google of dozens of search results provide limited personal use options. I am currently experimenting with KeyScrambler, Ghostpress, and ScreenWings, but I can see how each of these can be hacked (not saying how) if by slim chance a logger gets through my current antivirus and anti malware software.

Additional information to limit any confusion. At the AV Test Independent IT Security Institute website, both Norton and Malwarebytes in their detailed reports are rated as 99% effective though on a Windows 10 system. Until world supply chain shortages causing major shipping delays of new laptops per news reports are mostly resolved, choosing not to go through that frustration and holding on to my current laptop with Windows 7 SP1 for now (for reasons cannot upgrade operating system on current laptop). Also per Malwarebytes PDF documentation, Norton is compatible with it. As for other security, cable company router (old) though connect with ethernet cable, and use ScriptSafe plug in for Firefox and SUMo Software Updater, and keep regular backups of important files and have backup laptop which limitedly use.

Note to moderator: Since am brand new to this forum, if by chance I made an inadvertent mistake with this post, please either correct or email or private message me suggesting how to correct.
I currently use Spyshelter Premium and have no issues. For a few months the Kernel Mode Key Logger protection was disabled but after I did a clean install of windows 10, no problems. I am now on windows 11 Pro and still no issues.
Additionally, Spyshelter Premium has a feature to protect files and folders from read / write that you can specify. So add your documents, pdf's and photos folders to the protected list.
make sure to allow your installed apps and windows components access to the protected folders. This way unknown scripts and malware will be blocked by default from access your protected folders and ransomware will be blocked from exfiltrating data.
I use , ESET IS, Bitdefender IS, Malwarebytes Premium and Spyshelter. No problems. Only make sure to exclude each other from scans and detections.

Reactions: Nevi and The_King

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
Hello spurkza

You will not like my response but currently you are asking us which locks you should add to secure your appartment door while the wall has a big holes in it where anyone can enter.

What I mean by that is that you still rely on Windows 7 SP1. Security holes are wide open, and since it has reached end of support there is also no way to fix them. No antivirus setup aka very good lock for your door will help preventing anyone to enter via the holes in your wall. It is not worth spending your time tinkering with that. Do your best to get an up-to-date system as soon as possible. Only after that it makes sense to think about adding security software.

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Keyloggers or screenshot capture malware are basically covered by your AV under malware protection
Sadly this is not always the case. Most traditional AV'S are oblivious to commands seen in Python and/or Go that cause keyboard input to be both monitored, recorded and packaged. Combine this with a network functionality command, and in the absence of an Outbound detecting firewall will result in issues.

If a keylogger so coded has been around for a while the traditional AV will no doubt detect and kill it, but if it is a true zero day file, your Gradma's secret cookie recipe that you just typed would be on it's way to me somewhere in Blackhatistan.

(yummy cookies, by the way...)

spurkza

Thread author
Nov 5, 2021
Hello spurkza

You will not like my response but currently you are asking us which locks you should add to secure your appartment door while the wall has a big holes in it where anyone can enter.

What I mean by that is that you still rely on Windows 7 SP1. Security holes are wide open, and since it has reached end of support there is also no way to fix them. No antivirus setup aka very good lock for your door will help preventing anyone to enter via the holes in your wall. It is not worth spending your time tinkering with that. Do your best to get an up-to-date system as soon as possible. Only after that it makes sense to think about adding security software.
I agree with you I need to upgrade my operating system. The major reason is pandemic production and shipping delays CIOs Say PC Shipments Are Delayed by Months and A record 111 container ships are floating off California's busiest ports, despite Biden's 24/7 schedule and looming fines . If the laptop, need anti-glare screen (In sunlit room) not available locally, would arrive in 2-3 weeks as in pre-pandemic times, I be sure I be home when the expensive item arrives at my door step. Given the major delay situation now, I cannot guarantee I be home months from now or whenever Dell feels like shipping and let porch pirates take it.

That said, hoping for the best with multiple layers of security. Norton which I just checked with has no near future plans to discontinue support for Windows 7 SP1. As for other software, the general internet consensus is how much of the customer base yet has that operating system. Hopefully, by the time these supply chain shortages are resolved months from now, MIcrosoft will have worked out any early launch bugs out of Windows 11, and I will just upgrade to that providing years of additional support vs. Windows 10.

Reactions: struppigel

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.