• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I guess the default is "USA".
I dont remember getting the option to set country during install.

Now I have changed it to India.
Does changing the country affects Windows 10 or any of its functions in any way?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Logethica

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
During the upgrade process, I did get an option to change region. I chose mine.
Changing regions will change what Windows will offer to you. Cortana, for example, will be available or not depending on your preferred region. News also will change to your preferred region.

Edit: It might be that I had the option to change region during the "reset", not during the upgrade. @Jack is probably correct. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Logethica and Jack

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
I guess the default is "USA".
I dont remember getting the option to set country during install.

Now I have changed it to India.
Does changing the country affects Win 10 or any of its functions in any way?
Windows 10 installation does have a setup screen designed to setup the language and other things like that. See bellow screen.
1.jpg

However if you have not bought a new Windows 10 PC, then you have upgraded from Windows 7 or Windows 8, so Windows just migrated your settings... The above screen was displayed only when I've tried to do a "clean install".
As far as features go, Cortana is not available for all the countries, for instance for my region will not work.

Reactions: XhenEd
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
So that time option is for country, right?

I dont remember getting the option during clean install...does the option window disappears or continues automatically if not replied for long...coz I remember during clean install I was not near the system for some time.

Reactions: Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Changing the language does not affect any circumstances except as mentioned for Cortona. Its just a simple process, other things are already isolated like IP address base on the homepage you visit (e.g Google)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Does changing the country affects Windows 10 or any of its functions in any way?
No, it's a customisation option that allows Windows to be native to your language and timezone. If Cortana, for example, is not available in your country, then it won't be available regardless of Language/Timezone.

Malware Man

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Feb 2, 2013
I always have to change my region from USA to Canada whenever I install Windows again. Another issue is the time zone. Windows always defaults to EST for me (which is a hour and half behind me), so I always have to change it to my time zone and sometimes I forget and wonder why applications aren't working right and it's due to the wrong time.

Cortana is unfortunately currently unavailable in Canada.

Even if I choose Canada in the clean install menu. I still have to go into the keyboard and manually install the CMS (Canadian multilingual standard) keyboard because I use French and English and Windows loves to install only English when Canada uses both languages.

vishwa

Level 1
Verified
Aug 18, 2015
if you are upgrade windows using windows 10 app than it will automatically detect the region of yours. However you can change it later and it won't effect anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.