Guide | How To Remove Event Viewer obsolete entries - COMODO entries (even after uninstalling COMO)

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I don't know how many of former COMODO users are affected but across my 4 different VM setups, after installing COMODO and uninstalling (variations between CIS, CF only etc), despite using the COMODO removal tool and 2 reboots later, I noticed that Event Viewer had a COMODO Entry.

Now to remove that you would think: I just go into %SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\ take ownership and delete the COMODO file.

This sadly will not work since it will tell you the file is opened on Event Viewer and even if you use an unlocking software to unlock the folder/file, it will not work.

Here is how you should do it:

Launch Registry Editor and go to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\LogToDelete

Delete the COMODO Entry

Launch MSCONFIG and set to boot on Safe Mode

Reboot

Once in Safe Mode, %SystemRoot%\System32\Winevt\Logs\ (in my example its C:\Windows\System32\winevt\Logs) and then delete the COMODO files.

Once done, launch MSCONFIG again and untick the option to boot into Safe Mode

Process complete.

If you have installed COMODO in the past and no longer use it, check if you have such entry in Event Viewer and if so, the above guide will help remove such entry.
Same process works for other entries of specific softwares previously installed, such as TECHSMITH Snagit

PS: I also tested removing COMODO with several uninstaller software and truth to be told HiBit Uninstaller removed the most remnants of COMODO but none removed Event Viewer entry.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Useful info. I remember having to go into safemode to remove Avast and AVG remaining startup entries but Comodo has been difficult to remove fully in the past. I'll keep this in mind the next time I try out a version.

Last edited by a moderator:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I also had a hard time. When everything went well, there was a feeling of exhilaration and accomplishment.
The registry seems like the birthplace of zombies.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I also had a hard time. When everything went well, there was a feeling of exhilaration and accomplishment.
The registry seems like the birthplace of zombies.
Yep those were the two entries I had. Doing the steps I outlined removed it completely and there is no traces left of comodo.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.