Guide | How To Remove Watermark in Windows 8 Consumer Preview Build 8250

The associated guide may contain user-generated or external content.
Z

ZeroDay

Thread author
Lets get started

We recommend you to create a system restore point first, incase you run into trouble you can restore your system later.

1. You’ll need to download the patched files/edited files from the link below.
Inside that archive there’s a folder; Take Ownership & Patched Files folders. Extract it to your desktop for easy accesss.

2. After you extract it to your desktop, open the Take Ownership folders, inside it there’s InstallTakeOwnership.reg file, right-click it, then choose merge (or double-click it) and click YES to the dialogue box that appears.

3. Next Open your Windows Explorer and go to;

C:\Windows\System32\en-US\

C: = is the drive letter where your windows 8 was installed.

Inside the en-US folder look for the file shell32.dll.mui, right-click that file and choose Take Ownership from menu that appears.

4. Now, navigate also to;

C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\ and right-click basebrd.dll.mui then choose Take Ownership from the context menu.

Done? Good! We are almost there ;) We are done with the take ownership thingy.

5. Now that we already have the ownership of the file, lets overwrite it with the files that came from the archive we downloaded.

Copy basebrd.dll.mui from the patched files folder that we downloaded to C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\
and also copy shell32.dll.mui from the patched files folder from the archive to C:\Windows\System32\en-US\

Congrats! You have replaced the original files from the archive.

and lastly, press Windows Key + X on your keyboard, a Quick Access Menu will pop-up, just like the one that we previously posted on how to access quick admin tools from here.

Now, on the Quick Access Menu, click Command Prompt (Admin), now type this in the CMD window;
mcbuilder and press enter, then wait until the blinking cursors re-apprears, then type exit and press enter…

Restart your Windows 8 Consumer Preview. After restart, right-click on your desktop choose Personalize, then choose Windows Basic from the theme lists. Whalla! Watermark is now gone ;) re-apply again your favorite theme and enjoy Windows 8 Consumer Preview without watermarks.

Download patched files

Source: www.yethz.com

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I did this a few days ago as the watermark was ruining any wallpaper I chose as my background. It does work, Just had to restart the computer twice for mine to disappear.

Thanks for the share none the less. :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.