Advice Request Restart vs Power Off

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ZeePriest

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 2, 2020
Does powering off your android device have the same effect as in restarting? I usually turn off my device every night before going to sleep but I have never performed a restart. I know that android phones need to be restarted every now and then but I don't because I turn it off and back on when I wake up in the morning.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
Generally, turning the power off for a few minutes allows all the capacitors etc. keeping the memory/cache in a dynamic state to discharge and, therefore, reset. Restarting doesn't allow this but does allow the software to reload and start again.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Does powering off your android device have the same effect as in restarting? I usually turn off my device every night before going to sleep but I have never performed a restart. I know that android phones need to be restarted every now and then but I don't because I turn it off and back on when I wake up in the morning.
If you power your phone off then you don't need to restart it. In my case, I never turn my phone off and restart it every few months.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Generally, turning the power off for a few minutes allows all the capacitors etc. keeping the memory/cache in a dynamic state to discharge and, therefore, reset. Restarting doesn't allow this but does allow the software to reload and start again.
While both power off and restart can give your device a fresh start, there are some differences between the two.

When you power off your Android device completely, it goes through a full shutdown process, and all processes and apps are closed. This means that when you turn it back on, it has to go through a complete boot process, which can take longer than a simple restart. Also, powering off your device completely allows the internal components to reset, which can help to clear any memory or performance issues that might be happening.

On the other hand, a restart will only close and reopen all running apps and processes, which can free up some memory and clear any minor glitches. This can be faster than a full power off and on, but it won't give as complete a fresh start as powering off.

So, to answer your question, powering off your device is more effective at giving it a fresh start than a simple restart. However, restarting regularly can still be beneficial in keeping your device running smoothly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.