Ridiculous: Dell Will Install Firefox for You for $27

Myna

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
dell-uk-firefox-scam-630x488.jpg

Dell is reportedly offering customers in the U.K. the option to have Mozilla’s Firefox internet browser pre-installed on their new computers. There’s a catch, though, in that the small service costs an extra £16.25 (about $27).

After The Register caught on to the questionable offer, Mozilla told the British paper it’s looking into any possible legal violations, adding that it never agreed to any installation fees. A bit later, Dell told The Next Web that it’s not doing anything wrong. The company argues it’s actually charging for the act of installing the browser rather than the software itself.

“In this particular situation, the customer would not be charged for the Mozilla Firefox software download,” a Dell spokesperson told TNW. “Rather the fee would cover the time and labor involved for factory personnel to load a different image than is provided on the system’s standard configuration.”

Beyond any legal implications, Dell’s offer seems designed to take advantage of its customers considering it only takes about a minute to install a simple piece of software like Firefox, and most of that time is spent sitting and waiting. The offer is available for certain models in the U.K. but doesn’t appear as an option in the U.S. If you do spot it though, definitely don’t check that box. The fact that you made it to this site means you can probably handle installing Firefox yourself.

Source- http://www.technobuffalo.com/2014/03/06/dell-fee-for-firefox/

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Its a scam. Installation of mozilla firefox is not even worth $1.

ooh. let me set google.com as homepage in your web browser for just $10. :D

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
Please tell to Dell:
We want just to install Firefox not to buy the Firefox firm

Jcwisgod

Level 2
Verified
Dec 4, 2013
Lmao companies try to use customers who aren't tech savvy to their advantage, ex: when I first got this laptop the keyboard messed up and I just checked HP forums and they tried to get me to order a new one for over 100$, ordered one off of Amazon for 15$

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Uhhm in the defense of Dell I would like to add the following:
Due to the fact that I am professionally a client and subcontractor of Dell systems, I know how they work.
Do I agree to these ridiculous prices? Hell no if they try that with me then then can keep the damn computer, as I would build one myself and use the 27 dollar for a cold beer (Or a series of cold beers).
BUT most of their systems are preinstalled at a closed production line where hard disks are being preloaded with a image, however this is a closed process and it takes around 15 minutes to load-up and apply a different / custom image.
After loading the image it is going to a virtual system where a technician checks the image according to the required specs and then certify it for building in and eventually shipping.
Now 15 minutes would cost as stated 27 dollar (VAT included)
For comparison if a technician here in the Netherlands is going to work on your pc for one hour it will cost you anywhere between 60 and 100 euro (EX VAT).
* 100 Euro = 120 Dollar (Plus minus)

Again I am not advocating the ridiculous practice of charging money for just installing Firefox but there are 2 sides of the story.
Now if they would radically change the configuration of your pc software then I think 27 dollar could be justified.
Installing FF is not.
But one does need to realize Dell is a AAA class brand, so you will pay triple A prices.

Cheers

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
One simply doesn't pay for something anyone can do for free.....
Totally true, however you would be surprised how many people would not be able to install FF in their own.
This might seem a ridiculous claim, but honestly studies have proven that 4 out of 10 people specially older ones have trouble with simple tasks.
So for a brand like Dell or any other brand this is big money.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
That's something!
In my country most of us don't even pay for any Windows at all (apart from those who choose to do so).
I'd love to go to your country, not pay for windows, & then open up a discount haus. We'll beat Littlebits price of $15 dollars or your Firefox is Freeeeee!!:D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.