Robinhood app. Is it safe,reliable, and legit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Has anyone tried out the Robinhood app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.robinhood.android&hl=en_US

When I created an account, Robinhood asked me for my social security number, date of birth, address, my full name, and my driver license picture. I had a feeling that this is might be an identity theft scheme? It's like I am creating a bank account, but it is not a bank account at all.

lowdetection

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Submit it to hybrid-analysis, but

one easy check, if download increase, and here we talk about milions of download "1,000,000+ " less probably is that a malware is there, there are always exception anyway.

Google check after a while, bad people usually want a fast and furios, but in some case they maded Google Play home for some months, and silence and mantainance, maybe the second ones are the most dangerous I think?

I can suggest a new extra protection I am testing alongside IntelliAV, R-PackDroid, specifical for ransomware, if I could I would have used Zimperium for my protection, in my opinion the best on the market, but I couldn't.

Now, about the advertising part, that you can run Exodous Privacy to look if the app has known trackers, it even detects piwik, used also by sdmaid and others.

If you think about using IntelliAV alongside RPackDroid, be sure to allow this domain, intelliav-27b28.firebaseio.com , I spent literally hours to ending see that my wildcard rule for PiHole was blocking that firebase :p

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
A " trading " app thats allowed to :

Thanks but no thanks and thanks for the heads up.
Submit it to hybrid-analysis, but

one easy check, if download increase, and here we talk about milions of download "1,000,000+ " less probably is that a malware is there, there are always exception anyway.

Google check after a while, bad people usually want a fast and furios, but in some case they maded Google Play home for some months, and silence and mantainance, maybe the second ones are the most dangerous I think?

I can suggest a new extra protection I am testing alongside IntelliAV, R-PackDroid, specifical for ransomware, if I could I would have used Zimperium for my protection, in my opinion the best on the market, but I couldn't.

Now, about the advertising part, that you can run Exodous Privacy to look if the app has known trackers, it even detects piwik, used also by sdmaid and others.

If you think about using IntelliAV alongside RPackDroid, be sure to allow this domain, intelliav-27b28.firebaseio.com , I spent literally hours to ending see that my wildcard rule for PiHole was blocking that firebase :p

I find it is weird that I have to provide them my social security number, driver license and my state ID just for create an account. In addition, Robinhood have to approve my account before doing anything else. My guts are telling me that this is might be a scam.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
If you should have to give that kind of information to an app then i think you have basically answered your own question. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole i'm afraid. Even the name of it alone sends out warning signals to me, Robin Hood stole from the rich to give to the poor (allegedly) but just what will these guys steal from you ? In saying that, i am quite the cynic but i would say, go with your gut :)

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
If you should have to give that kind of information to an app then i think you have basically answered your own question. I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole i'm afraid. Even the name of it alone sends out warning signals to me, Robin Hood stole from the rich to give to the poor (allegedly) but just what will these guys steal from you ? In saying that, i am quite the cynic but i would say, go with your gut :)

Rohinhood should rename to RobinIdentity. I'm a little bit skeptical about having to enter in my ssn and bank info into this app.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Rohinhood should rename to RobinIdentity. I'm a little bit skeptical about having to enter in my ssn and bank info into this app.

If you are sceptical then i wouldn't risk it. It's hard to go by the reviews as there are some good and some bad. The only i can think of is why you need to fill all that personal in is perhaps for tax reasons but even then i still wouldn't trust it. :unsure:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Has anyone tried out the Robinhood app? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.robinhood.android&hl=en_US

When I created an account, Robinhood asked me for my social security number, date of birth, address, my full name, and my driver license picture. I had a feeling that this is might be an identity theft scheme? It's like I am creating a bank account, but it is not a bank account at all.
Even if they are legit, once they get hacked or sell their data you are in trouble. They have your driver license picture and SSN? No way Jose.

I find it is weird that I have to provide them my social security number, driver license and my state ID just for create an account. In addition, Robinhood have to approve my account before doing anything else. My guts are telling me that this is might be a scam.

Robinhood is no scam.

U.S. based companies are required by law to positively identify all customers; anonymous electronic\digital transactions are disallowed.

We don't have such identifying numbers here that their achievement would make you my person. (If that is english xD) :ROFLMAO:
Why implement such bad mechanisms? (in law...)

Anti-money laundering laws. Anonymous electronic\digital financial transactions are disallowed.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

It's a legit mobile trading company and app that is popular with millennials.

Financial accounts are just like creating a U.S. bank account and all companies must positively establish a person's identity by various U.S. laws.

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
Cnan you not include all your replies in one ... reply? It's kind of spammy. Please use @e symbol with a name attached to it to refer to a certain user. :cry: :notworthy:

Disallowed by whom? Who enforces that? There IS bitcoin and many others, after all.

Is that a modifier for quality? xD

Also I might be drunk jh

The Internal Revenue Service which can send agents to catch you and haul you off to jail. Plus, it is part of anti-terrorism efforts. So you can have from the FBI to the Treasury Dept to the Dept of Defense chasing after you - dependent upon what kind of illegal transactions you are up to.

In the U.S., anonymous cryptocurrency transactions are illegal; all customers must be positively identified and all transactions must be recorded by U.S.-based companies offering the vast majority of financial transactions.

Here, it is absolutely no joke.

Reactions: Weebarra and shmu26

Cnan you not include all your replies in one ... reply? It's kind of spammy. Please use @e symbol with a name attached to it to refer to a certain user. :cry::notworthy:

No. I am addressing each one individually as they were posted.

Yellowing

Level 5
Verified
Jun 7, 2018
SO you are basically saying that bitcoin transactions are illegal in your country?
I didn't know that. Orwellian :cry:

EDIT: Dude they were posted hours ago. Is this the first Forum your on? :confused:

SO you are basically saying that bitcoin transactions are illegal in your country?
I didn't know that. Orwellian :cry:

EDIT: Dude they were posted hours ago.

I said, anonymous cryptocurrency transactions are illegal in the U.S. If you have a taxable event outside of recording channels, then you are legally required to report that taxable event. Otherwise, if it is recorded by the company, they are legally required to report on your behalf.

If you do a cash transaction and it is a taxable event, you are required to report it. If it is a big enough infraction or you do it pervasively, then you could be prosecuted and face jail time. And people are put in jail - everyday.

The government is serious about prosecuting people.

Reactions: Weebarra
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.