Pro
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
WINDOWS 10:
  • Kaspersky Internet Security (tweaked for maximum security)
  • SysHardener

UBUNTU:
  • Sophos Antivirus for on-access scanning
Firewall security
About custom security
Kaspersky: Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings

Ubuntu: Sophos configured for on-access scanning only
Periodic malware scanners
ESET Online Scanner
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malwarebytes Free
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Canvas Defender
Bitwarden Password Manager
Universal Bypass
uBlock Origin
Maintenance tools
PatchMyPC - software managing and updating
ThrottleStop - undervolt my hardware to stop temperatures
MSI AfterBurner - in-game data analysis
AutoRuns & Process Explorer - analyze processes
SysHardener - lock down Windows vulnerable areas
Bleachbit
File and Photo backup
Macrium
System recovery
Macrium
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Processor: Intel Core i7 7700HQ
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

But when the stable version of 1903 is released, you will have to reinstall Windows if you want to return to the stable channel, correct?
I have no idea :)

I believe there is a small window (no pun intended:p) where you can opt out of the insider program when the next version is officially released. Usually when they release the RTM version (which usually goes to insiders first before going to Windows Update), you can at that point opt out of the insider program and keep going with the current version without having to reinstall. Usually the RTM version will remove the small watermark at the bottom right of the screen (insider preview build....). At that point you can turn off the insider updates and it should keep working without any issues, well at least that's how it use to work with past releases. If I am not mistaken the RTM version is typically released 1-2 weeks before it's available to the public (again watch for the watermark to disappear), after that you usually have 1 week or so to stop the insider builds before it continues on. If you miss the time period to stop the insider builds and it downloads the next insider version, at that point you will have to reinstall unfortunately.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
But when the stable version of 1903 is released, you will have to reinstall Windows if you want to return to the stable channel, correct?
Just select this option and it will automatically stop getting insider builds when you get the RTM/Release/Final build.

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I've used this method and nailed it! Thank you.
Changing the default update interval is pretty useless if you are online. WD uses by default the cloud delivered protection which is much stronger than signatures. If you update signatures frequently, then the only effect is slowing down the computer.:notworthy:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Changing the default update interval is pretty useless if you are online. WD uses by default the cloud delivered protection which is much stronger than signatures. If you update signatures frequently, then the only effect is slowing down the computer.:notworthy:

I hadn't thought of this distinction. Thanks for the technical explanation. (y)

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
My main system is dead :D

Just a quick tip: when 1903 reaches, be sure not to be using Comodo... just in case. I'm 80% sure that's what killed my OS (I was insider on my secondary PC with no problems). I cleaned installed 1809.

Anyways, I am back to basics. Removed CFW.

Combo:
  • Windows Defender (Hard_Configurator at HIGH SETTINGS)
  • VoodooShield.
Also, I'm off malware testing, I'm off virtualizing, I'm off beta testing, being Insider, I'm off TROUBLE.

Peace, quiet, and harmless. See you, nerds.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
My main system is dead :D

Just a quick tip: when 1903 reaches, be sure not to be using Comodo... just in case. I'm 80% sure that's what killed my OS (I was insider on my secondary PC with no problems). I cleaned installed 1809.

Anyways, I am back to basics. Removed CFW.

Combo:
  • Windows Defender (Hard_Configurator at HIGH SETTINGS)
  • VoodooShield.
Also, I'm off malware testing, I'm off virtualizing, I'm off beta testing, being Insider, I'm off TROUBLE.

Peace, quiet, and harmless. See you, nerds.
I assume you had the autosandbox enabled?

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
Indeed! CS configuration, viruscope ON, auto sandbox ON, firewall at SAFE MODE
Not completely sure if this was the case here. But I'm going to make the assumption that because the autosandbox deals with unknown files when you upgraded perhaps some of those were sandboxed and ended up breaking your system.

In my opinion, for anyone using Comodo autosandbox, disable it if you are going to update/upgrade. Then use the file scan feature to see if there are any unknown files. If you find one simply add it to trust.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.