Pro
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
WINDOWS 10:
  • Kaspersky Internet Security (tweaked for maximum security)
  • SysHardener

UBUNTU:
  • Sophos Antivirus for on-access scanning
Firewall security
About custom security
Kaspersky: Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings

Ubuntu: Sophos configured for on-access scanning only
Periodic malware scanners
ESET Online Scanner
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malwarebytes Free
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Canvas Defender
Bitwarden Password Manager
Universal Bypass
uBlock Origin
Maintenance tools
PatchMyPC - software managing and updating
ThrottleStop - undervolt my hardware to stop temperatures
MSI AfterBurner - in-game data analysis
AutoRuns & Process Explorer - analyze processes
SysHardener - lock down Windows vulnerable areas
Bleachbit
File and Photo backup
Macrium
System recovery
Macrium
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Processor: Intel Core i7 7700HQ
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
My main system is dead :D

Just a quick tip: when 1903 reaches, be sure not to be using Comodo... just in case. I'm 80% sure that's what killed my OS (I was insider on my secondary PC with no problems). I cleaned installed 1809.

Anyways, I am back to basics. Removed CFW.

Combo:
  • Windows Defender (Hard_Configurator at HIGH SETTINGS)
  • VoodooShield.
Also, I'm off malware testing, I'm off virtualizing, I'm off beta testing, being Insider, I'm off TROUBLE.

Peace, quiet, and harmless. See you, nerds.
There are lots of issues with the 1903 upgrade process, at this point. MS will have to fix it, or most computers will not make it through successfully.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
You have me planning to go back to WD when 1903 hits. I’ve had fun messing with ESET, but WD plus exploit protection works fine for a gaming machine.

By the way, are you still liking NordVPN?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thread updates.

Current combo (courtesy of the BitDefender team that rewarded me with a license for beta testing)

BitDefender Total Security 2020
  • Tweaked for performance-protection settings
SysHardener
  • Extra protection layer against suspicious processes and scripts

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
About time I updated this:

I switched to Ubuntu for daily basis. I managed to find a correct alternative for AutoCad, Office, I managed to install Java, and I only need to make League of Legends work and I will delete the Windows partition, which I only use to play LoL at the moment. For everything else, I use Ubuntu.

Windows 10 partition is protected with WD (ConfigureDefender), VS and SysHardener, really light. Ubuntu is protected with Sophos for on-access scan of files. Super light.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
About time I updated this:

I switched to Ubuntu for daily basis. I managed to find a correct alternative for AutoCad, Office, I managed to install Java, and I only need to make League of Legends work and I will delete the Windows partition, which I only use to play LoL at the moment. For everything else, I use Ubuntu.

Windows 10 partition is protected with WD (ConfigureDefender), VS and SysHardener, really light. Ubuntu is protected with Sophos for on-access scan of files. Super light.
What GUI are you using?

Thales

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2017
Ubuntu is fine but it comes with GNOME which is the worst desktop environment for me. Feels sluggish no matter what the config is. Kubuntu is better, beautiful and a lot more customizable. The beauty of KDE Plasma is unparalleled. KDE can be installed on Ubuntu of course.
I agree. I hate GNOME too.
I customized GNOME and it looked like the mix of KDE and XFCE. It was awesome looking, fast and responsive without any hated GNOME feeling. :)

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Is it really compatible with Ubuntu? No issues or having to download a hundred repositories?

Default? Please instruct me on how to make it better, I suck at Linux :)
I've actually only run Ubuntu in a command line terminal to set up a VPS. But I've considered playing around with it. I know there are multiple GUIs you can use, seems like @SeriousHoax has some ideas of good GUIs.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Default? Please instruct me on how to make it better, I suck at Linux
One of the best thing about most Linux OS is, it lets you try the OS before installing. I love KDE so I'll suggest you to check it out. At first you can check KDE Plasma, it's feature and looks on YouTube. If you like what you see then download Kubuntu, write it into a bootable pendrive using Rufus or any other tool you prefer then boot the pendrive and you can literally use the OS without installing on your HDD. You can install apps and everything from pendrive without installing the OS.
They're other methods like you can install KDE or any other desktop environment on your existing Ubuntu and can set one as your default or you can also configure it ask which desktop environment you want to login in the login screen after turning on your PC. It would require additional 300mb-1gb depending on the de you install. It's even possible to delete GNOME and keep the other one but I never tried it so don't know if it's gonna create any issue or not.
But trying the OS from pendrive is the best thing you can do to try a variant of Linux.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@Roboman-are you familiar with Chris Titus Tech on YouTube. Take a look he is the boss as far as I am concerned. 20 years in IT, and he just dropped Windows last year. He has a treasure trove of videos and a new video every day on something. He also does a live show every once in awhile.

I got stuck with dual boot issues with Manjaro, but Chris Titus will have you feeling like an expert in 2 months, even though clearly this is not true...still it feels nice in the present tense...:) I never miss a video...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.