Showcase RoboMan's Stolen Secrets Storage Device (2017 updated)

Form factor
Estimated $
$1050
Make & Model
Acer Predator Helios 300
OS installed
Windows 10 Pro
CPU
Intel Core i7 7700HQ
GPU
GTX 1060 6GB
RAM
16GB
Storage
256GB SSD
1TB HDD
Monitor
1920 x 1080
Keyboard and Mouse
Redragon Kumara
Logitech G403
My computer protection
ESET Internet Security

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
So excited about it arriving finally! :)

t5P7FLR.jpg

4czuOMq.jpg

GkWOuX5.jpg

UB4pOeZ.jpg

y56yKPP.jpg

PiLyk6p.jpg

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Very nice looking laptop was a bit disappointed when seen it only got 256GB ssd with the thread title of "RoboMan's Stolen Secrets Storage Device"

I thought it was going to be a home server with multiply disk in raid.
Hehe, i have an extra slot for a second drive, will add more space. And we get a whole cloud server to store the MalwareTips' users secrets we steal. I mean... beep.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@RoboMan: I mistook your laptop was that huge monster predator 21x with 1080 SLI and also thought it was MSI GT73VR 7RF Titan Pro-425. Your fan fins are good enough for near silent yet reliable cooling. Its more efficient than Dell Alienware just by looking. Try Undervolting with ThrottleStop. Start with -50mV on CPU, cache, analog I/O and System Agent. Don't touch Intel GPU. Max I saw was -100mV. But all CPu are made differently. Undervolting can reduce temps by 5-10C w/o repaste thereby less throttling. One more thing enable SST on TS for optimal power savings and performance.
Post your wprime, SSD benchmark and Firestrike benchmarks. I believe your 1060 will rip my 980m OC'ed to 130MHz on core and 200MHz on memory.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I'm doing benchmarks tests on the morning!

So far, the laptop has behaved excellent. Will give you guys a quick summary:

• Design: The laptop is extremely attractive. It's clearly gaming oriented, and you can notice that. Definitely the type of laptop that would make people near by stand by you and ask you which one is it. The bottom border of the laptop is a bit sharp, so you need to use a high chair so you don't rest your arms on it, not nice. The plastic where you rest your hands as well seems to absorb anything so may want to use it with clean hands, otherwise you'll have to clean the plastic frequently.
  • Keyboard and mouse: keyboard is very comfortable and very easy to use. Almost like a mecanic one, of course it's not. It's backlit with red light so you don't have to turn lights on to game. Amazing. Built-in mouse seems to have decent DPI, of course you won't game with it, but definitely not a standard laptop mouse pad.
  • Screen: 1920x1080. Really smooth and high quality. Definition is very accurate. Sadly, as most laptop, it's 60hz, which means that despite your high-end performance hardware, you won't be able to actually see at more than 60fps any game, cause the screen limits it. Once again, i do not know any laptop with more than 60hz. 60fps is very decent.
  • Performance: The laptop is really fluid, fast and smart. It boots really fast thanks to it's processor and SSD. Definitely a great combination of hardware.

The only thing that concerns me is that every time i run a software that requires adminsitrator priveleges, when that admin screen pops up, i can't move my mouse for a second its opening, and then i can't move my mouse for the second the software it's opening after i accepted the priveleges. As well, the screen looks really nice but some specific software will not show a nice definition. I thought it may be something driver-related, but i updated and re-installed it three times and it's not fixed. Do not know what it may be...

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
As well, the screen looks really nice but some specific software will not show a nice definition. I thought it may be something driver-related, but i updated and re-installed it three times and it's not fixed. Do not know what it may be...
It's the scaling that creates this fuzzy screen issues. Right click on desktop, select display settings, click custom scaling and play with it. I assume with 100% it should look crispy so start with that.
About the freezing does it do it even when you use an external mouse?

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It's the scaling that creates this fuzzy screen issues. Right click on desktop, select display settings, click custom scaling and play with it. I assume with 100% it should look crispy so start with that.
About the freezing does it do it even when you use an external mouse?
Hi! Thanks, the scaling fixed it. Regarding the freeze, it happens as well with an external mouse... It's weird, isn't it?

Reactions: AtlBo and SHvFl

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.