Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
Windows Defender
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Game folders and software backup folders are excluded from RTP.
Periodic malware scanners
ZAM, Malwarebytes and Hitmanpro.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Edge Chromium, Chrome, Firefox
Extension: Adguard, Lyrics here by Rob W, Bitdefender Trafficlight
Maintenance tools
WiseCare365, Geek Uninstaller Portable, PatchMyPC Portable, ThrottleStop, DriverStoreExplorer, OOSU10, HWiNFO64, ProcessExplorer, Driver Easy, SUMO, Revo Uninstaller
File and Photo backup
Onedrive and Google Backup & Sync
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Asus Vivo Book R558U i7-7500U, 8GB DDR4, 250GB WD Blue SSD, 1TB, GTX 940MX
Notable changes
Back to Windows Defender

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thanks for sharing, a question you can use VPN with Tor Home premium.
Yes. I am using Okay Freedom and Seed4me right now regularly with Thor Premium Home.

I'm hungry, can I get you a bite.?
Pls don't :p

I fully agree! :p:emoji_beer:

Btw, are you actually able to retain Thors DNS along with your VPN?

Yummy :)
I would have to check on that. I didn't knew Thor was using different DNS.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@upnorth I did DNS Leak Test and it appears Thor does not change the DNS settings. I am still using the DNS servers of ISP when I am not using any VPN (in that case it changes to the VPN provided DNS servers).
Thor Foresight with Dark Layer Guard enabled is supposed to change your DNS settings when your not using a VPN. Next time you test, click the button Scan/Scan Anyway below the text Thor Foresight. That should enforce the change.
If the VPN creates a TAP adapter, then Thor will not be able to apply the 127.7.7.x on the IPv4 and the traffic will not be filtered.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Thor Foresight with Dark Layer Guard enabled is supposed to change your DNS settings when your not using a VPN. Next time you test, click the button Scan/Scan Anyway below the text Thor Foresight. That should enforce the change.

Wow I didn't know that. Thanks for the link. One thing I forgot to mention was that my ISP is one of those scumbags who don't allow customers to change their DNS servers unless it's encrypted (like in case of VPNs and DNScrypt, DoH).
I did a small test with pot player which Thor doesn't like at at all connecting to it's server for checking the updates.

Case 1 (No VPN): Thor blocks the "t1.daumcdn.net" via DarkLayer Guard
Case 2 (with either of VPNs turned ON): Thor does not block Pot Player from connecting to above URL.

Clicking on "Scan Anyway" does nothing to change the outcome. Well Press F in the next reply for me :(

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
So basically Thor intercepts the unencrypted DNS requests made by any app on the system. Apparantly I can't enable DoH in Firefor now.
DoH.png

Edit: I was hungry so I ate "can't" earlier.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thor blocks the "t1.daumcdn.net" via DarkLayer Guard
You should be able exclude blocked domains. I previously wrote a small guide that hopefully could help.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You should be able exclude blocked domains. I previously wrote a small guide that hopefully could help.
I know, I removed it from the whitelist just for the test. Checking out the guide now :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.