RookIE/1.0 Infection

csun_mizzou

Thread author
Jun 20, 2018
My IT detected malicious traffic coming from my laptop at work but can't help me directly as it's not a work desktop. I followed my IT's recommendation to scan using anti-virus and malware sw, but the malicious traffic is still occurring. Defender, Malawarebytes, and Cisco Amp found nothing. Spybot found some and quarantined. Clamwin found one.

Here is the info from my IT:
> ISAM has detected an infected system on the network. Information
> about
> the system can be found above. The threat signature detected is
> MALWARE-CNC User-Agent known malicious user-agent string RookIE/1.0
> (1:18388:11), and is detected based on traffic coming from the system
> in question with a known malicious user-agent string. Please perform
> a
> malware scan of the system using something such as Windows Defender
> or
> Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Tool to detect and remove the malicious
> files.
I attached several logs, including the FRST ones.
For whatever's worth, I also scanned my registry for "RookIE" and found that my recent docx files all contained that string.
Thank you for your assistance.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    61.2 KB · Views: 18
  • FRST.txt
    67.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Rookie_reg_search.txt
    21.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Scan Results.180615-2346.txt
    28.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Scan Results.180616-0116.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 18
Reactions: Rebsat

csun_mizzou

Thread author
Jun 20, 2018
Hello,

I do not see signs of malware in your logs. You'll have to discuss this with your IT.

Here is some more info on how it was detected.

The Snort rule that the traffic matching on is as follows:

alert tcp $HOME_NET any -> $EXTERNAL_NET $HTTP_PORTS (msg:"MALWARE-CNC User-Agent known malicious user-agent string RookIE/1.0"; flow:to_server,established; content:"User-Agent|3A| RookIE/1.0|0D 0A|"; fast_pattern:eek:nly; http_header:; metadata:impact_flag red, policy balanced-ips drop, policy security-ips drop, service http; reference:url,snort.org/rule_docs/1-18388; classtype:trojan-activity; sid:18388; rev:11; gid:1; )

• The traffic is coming from campus IP space and going to an external IP
• The user-agent contains the string "RookIE/1.0"

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.