Troubleshoot Router decision

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hi looking for a router ,at this time these 2 are the same price Asus rt-ac1200(60$) or D-Link DIR-842(50$)
.I know these or a bit dated but not looking for more expensive ,wondering which one is better?Thks

If these are the only two choices, go with the ASUS. I absolutely hate D-Link and most engineers I know feel the same way.

If you were asking about any higher end ASUS models with AiProtection I would discourage the use of those unless in AP mode only. The reason is, Trend Micro is the primary part of AiProtection and it is closed source and sends ALL of your activity to Trend Micro which is in partnership with the NSA and Booz Allen Hamilton.

Upvote 0

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
If these are the only two choices, go with the ASUS. I absolutely hate D-Link and most engineers I know feel the same way.

If you were asking about any higher end ASUS models with AiProtection I would discourage the use of those unless in AP mode only. The reason is, Trend Micro is the primary part of AiProtection and it is closed source and sends ALL of your activity to Trend Micro which is in partnership with the NSA and Booz Allen Hamilton.
THks why do they hte D-Link?

Reactions: Sunshine-boy
Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
I absolutely hate D-Link and most engineers I know feel the same way.
Well, I know a lot of engineers too and many use D-Link because they don't like ASUS. I prefer Netgear, however.

Of the two mentioned I would get the D-Link. While the D-Link does not include a USB port (you don't need one unless you have a USB only networked printer or NAS), the ASUS USB is 2.0. If you need USB, you should get USB 3.0 for the best future proofing.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
If you like to reboot your router every other day to make it work properly, go for D-Link
Nah! Not even. If that were evn close to being true, the company would be out of business. Typical of most blanket statements, that one is just wrong.

Best advice (regardless the brand you are considering) is to research specific model numbers and look for reviews. Do NOT put much faith in "user reviews" unless there are many reporting the exact same problem. The problem with user reviews is the users are rarely experts, they rarely have experience with competing products, and they often downgrade ratings because Amazon sent the white version instead of black, the Post Office delivered to the house next door, the box looked like it fell off the FedEx truck, or UPS delivered it a day late. Also understand when it comes to user reviews, happy people typically don't complain, or submit reviews.

I will say this, however, if you buy a $50 router, don't expect it to perform like a $150 router.

Upvote 0

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
I went for a tp-link for now ,the d-link wireless access to phone and tablets was awful,so far the tp-link is good for the price .

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.