• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I am looking for a new router.

My internet connection is 4 Mbps Broadband Cable Connection. Its PPPoE connection.

No modem nothing i.e Cable operator has some setup on the terrace of the building & the wire enters my apartment through window. The wire has RJ45 connector that directly attach to laptop.

Currently 2 Laptops & 4 SmartPhones.

Please Recommend/Suggest.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Currently I use Belkin G Wireless Router.
Model - F5D7234-4 v3
Its an old router.
Lately its giving me prob i.e takes anywhere from 15-30 mins to connect.

I am from India.
Budget - 1000-2000 INR & flexible.

What do you mean by special requirements?

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
If you are getting internet connection using Ethernet RJ45 cable then these are two good Wifi router available.

TP Link 450Mbps Wireless N Router TL-WR940N V3
450Mbps Wireless N Router TL-WR940N - Welcome to TP-LINK
TP-LINK TL-WR940N Wireless N450 Home Router, 450Mpbs, 3 External Antennas - Buy TP-LINK TL-WR940N Wireless N450 Home Router, 450Mpbs, 3 External Antennas Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

Edimax 5-in-1 N300 Wi-Fi Router, Access Point, Range Extender, Wi-Fi Bridge & WISP BR-6428nS V3
EDIMAX Technology - Official Website - N300 - 5-in-1 N300 Wi-Fi Router, Access Point, Range Extender, Wi-Fi Bridge & WISP
Edimax BR-6428NSV3 300Mbps 5-in-1 multi-function Wi-Fi Router - Buy Edimax BR-6428NSV3 300Mbps 5-in-1 multi-function Wi-Fi Router Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in
Reviewing Edimax BR-6428nS V3 - What do you get when buying a low-priced router?

Edimax is can act as multifunctional like Wi-Fi Router, Access Point, Range Extender, Wi-Fi Bridge & WISP. Not sure if Tp link can do that.

Edimax Wifi router is a newer product than tplink.

Edimax supports Up to 5 SSIDs in AP mode

Edimax has 5dbi antenna while tplink has 3dBi antennas. So edimax will provide more range than tplink.

Tplink offers 450Mbps 11n Wifi while edimax offers 300Mbps 11n

i suggest you go for Edimax.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
If you were looking for something specific when selecting a router, for example tri band or certain brand.
I dont know much about router. So dont know much about band or brand. I have heard dual band & brand like Belkin, Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, etc but dont know the importance of band or what router brand are good?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Very old router. most probably released in 2012.
What about the other 4 I mentioned above?

And Edimax router you suggested earlier, its V3, V4 of it is on their website, but I cant find V4 anywhere in Indian online shopping websites?

And Edimax review link you posted, it mentioned it cant be set to Only "N" so less speed.
Do some routers gives option to set to Only "N" or etc...?

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
he

These companies don't give the detailed specification of their product.
Also, you can read a lot of critical reviews of these products in amazon.

I still suggest you to buy Edimax N300 BR-6428nS V3
Note : Edimax N300 BR-6428nS V4 will be released soon. it may take 6 months before it will become available in market.

I bought edimax BR 6428 NS V1 few years ago. It worked well with 10 Mbps internet connection. I never saw internet or wifi connection drop ever.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Ok, so Edimax.

I mentioned in my last post, you cannot select "N" only in Edimax, does other router allow to select only "N" or etc...?
And not possible to select "N" means less speed, as the review mention?

And any more router suggestion from you?

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
And Edimax review link you posted, it mentioned it cant be set to Only "N" so less speed.
Do some routers gives option to set to Only "N" or etc...?

Reviewer said
"One aspect that is not very clear from its official specifications is that the router only works using the 802.11 b+g+n standards simultaneously. This means that it is compatible with a large range of wireless devices, including older ones, but you can't set it to use only the 802.11n standard"

So you won't be able to set it to use only 802.11n . edimax will connect to all devices which has 802.11 b,g or n adpapters. Edimax will automatically select the wireless standards to connect to other devices.

my edimax br 6428ns v1 connected simultaneously to new 802.11 n in my new laptop and 802.11b in my old laptop. I didn't notice any problem. So i think there is no connectivity problem.

Unfortunately edimax br 6428ns v1 is not in my possession now. so i can't test it further.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
So the laptop should have "n" wireless? How to check that?

Search the wireless adapter in "device manager".
Then search the wireless adapter name in google.
2037499.jpg

• You could see the properties of wireless adapter
2037501.jpg

• in "advanced" tab you can get some idea about the which wireless standard the network adapter using.

2037500.jpg

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Is it fine?
Attached is the screenshot

Whats WiMAX in device manager?

Attachments

• scr.png
    scr.png
    476 KB · Views: 342
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.