viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Is it fine?
Attached is the screenshot

Whats WiMAX in device manager?

The Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N + WiMAX 6150 is a combo IEEE 802.16e WiMAX and 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi wireless adapter.

WiMAX is 4G telecom technology actively developed by Intel. But Wimax adapter is useless because WiMAX is not widely implemented by telecom companies. Instead, 4G LTE is being deployed.

Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
viktik,

What difference does dual band make?

And guess both the routers you suggested are single band, right?

Does Edimax you suggested has wall mount?

Reactions: frogboy

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
viktik,

What difference does dual band make?

And guess both the routers you suggested are single band, right?

Does Edimax you suggested has wall mount?
Dual bands have both 2.4G & 5G bands, so if your phones or PCs support 5G bands, you can switch to 5Ghz band for reduced interference and fairly good down and uplinks but there's a catch, it can't penetrate through walls and restricted to short distances.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
viktik,

Edimax will have an option to "clone mac address"?

I have to clone mac address to set router to use internet.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
viktik,

On your recommendation & I too looked into few routers, I have decided to go with your suggestion of Edimax.

I read the manuals. It mention Win 7, 8, etc... but no mention of Win 10, is it supported on Win 10?

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Placed the order for Edimax, will arrive on 14th July.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
viktik,

Got the router.

I will install in couple of days & any help/info will post here.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
viktik,

I tested the router & works good. I upgraded the firmware too. And you can set to "n" only too.

UPnP - I think it was enabled but after firmware upgrade is set to disabled...Should I keep it enabled or disabled?

WPS - It mention something like push the button & connect, etc...Should I keep it enabled or disabled?

Lease Time - My old router was set to "Forever" And Edimax is set to "1" Hour...Is it fine or should I change it?

Channel Width - Edimax is set to Auto 20/40 MHz & WiFi Adapter is set to 20 MHz Only...Any suggestion on this? I dont see the option in Ethernet Adapter.

"n" Mode - It is in Wifi Adapter - Advanced section & router set to "n" only works good. "n" Mode is not there in the Ethernet Adapter - Advanced section but router set to "n" only & connected to Ethernet works good too...Any suggestion on this?

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
viktik,

I tested the router & works good. I upgraded the firmware too. And you can set to "n" only too.

UPnP - I think it was enabled but after firmware upgrade is set to disabled...Should I keep it enabled or disabled?

WPS - It mention something like push the button & connect, etc...Should I keep it enabled or disabled?

Lease Time - My old router was set to "Forever" And Edimax is set to "1" Hour...Is it fine or should I change it?

Channel Width - Edimax is set to Auto 20/40 MHz & WiFi Adapter is set to 20 MHz Only...Any suggestion on this? I dont see the option in Ethernet Adapter.

"n" Mode - It is in Wifi Adapter - Advanced section & router set to "n" only works good. "n" Mode is not there in the Ethernet Adapter - Advanced section but router set to "n" only & connected to Ethernet works good too...Any suggestion on this?

UPnP - For security reason keep it disabled if you don't need it.

WPS - i have never used WPS. So I don't know exact details of it. you can read about it here.
Simple Questions: What is WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup)?
How does Wi-Fi Protected Setup work? | Wi-Fi Alliance

Lease time - you may set it to 24 hour

Channel width - leave it as it is.

Ethernet tech is for wired LAN and its settings will not be same as Wifi adapter.

ROUTER SECURITY
  • Disable remote access if router allows such setting
  • Change the default admin password. Use strong password.
  • Use strong Wifi network security pre shared key.
  • Use Wifi encryption type as "WPA2" in "WPA pre shared key"
  • If possible disable SSID broadcast. if this is done then to connect the devices to router you need to enter both SSID and network security key in the client devices.

some routers are easily accessible from internet because they haven't disabled remote admin access and is using default admin password.

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
What for UPnP is required?

If Lease Time is set to 1 Hour, what happens on 1 Hour completion?

UPnP is used to quickly connect devices using network devices like the router.
your computer is connected to the router. so if you connect a printer to the router. then using UPnP computer will easily and quickly detect the printer and start using it.
simply if you want to communicate and share data between devices connected to the router then you need UPnP.

Lease time is set to 1-hour mean after 1 hour the connected device disconnect and then device will have to reconnect again only to assign new ip address. You won't notice any network slowdown.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
All my devices have "n" so should I set router to "n" only instead of "mix" mode?

And there is an option mac address control/filtering. It mention only mac address of the devices added will be allowed to connect.
Should I enable it & add mac address of all my devices?
Guess this increases security of my connection?

Last edited by a moderator:

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
All my devices have "n" so should I set router to "n" only instead of "mix" mode?

And there is an option mac address control/filtering. It mention only mac address of the devices added will be allowed to connect.
Should I enable it & add mac address of all my devices?
Guess this increases security of my connection?

yes set it to wifi n

you can use mac filter. That will definitely increase the security

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
But that isn't secure, right? Since you can change MAC address to reflect Host's MAC so that puts that feature out of the question.

yes anyone can change their MAC Address. But first, they need to know the exact MAC address of the allowed MAC addresses.

Two devices using same MAC address will cause one of them to unable to connect to the router. If that happens then you know that there is some problem.

Also, the person needs to know the WIFI password inorder to connect to the router. If you are not telling anyone and are using a strong password then no one should be able to connect to router wifi at first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.