Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Missing 'Run as Administrator' in Win 10 Pro
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I followed the steps taken in the below link but was unsuccessful

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/26739-add-remove-run-administrator-context-menu-windows-10-a.html

https://www.eightforums.com/threads/take-ownership-add-to-context-menu-in-windows-8.2814/
Hi

My 'Run as Administrator' is missing in the drop down context menu in Win 10 Pro.

Initially, my system was Win 10 Home. I checked and was informed that there's no 'Run as Administrator' in WIn 10 Home.

Later I upgraded to Win 10 Pro and found the 'Run as Administrator' missing in the context menu. I did not give it serious thought as all these while I was able to install/remove programs without any issue.

Now, I'm not sure the latest Windows security patch's failure to update could be due to this despite frequent attempts and manual update as well.

Also, I could not run CMD at an elevated status as an administrator. I followed the links given below but to no avail.

Any help? Thanks

1586947583336.png

1586947462088.png

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
If it was missing since the beginning then I guess there was something wrong during installation. How did you upgrade from Home to Pro?

Does Win 10 Home comes with 'Run as Administrator'? I checked and it wasn't there previously when I was installing software. I asked an IT friend of mine and was told that there's no 'Run as Administrator' in Windows 10 Home because the user is already the administrator.

I upgraded to Win 10 Pro from MS website directly and everything was smooth without any issue

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Does Windows 10 Home comes with 'Run as Administrator'? I checked and it wasn't there previously when I was installing software. I asked an IT friend of mine and was told that there's no 'Run as Administrator' in Windows 10 Home because the user is already the administrator.

I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro from MS website directly and everything was smooth without any issue
This is "bullshit", Home and Pro have the "Run as Administrator" option.
I would try a reset of your Windows 10 installation, there is something not right with it.

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
This is "bullshit", Home and Pro have the "Run as Administrator" option.
I would try a reset of your Windows 10 installation, there is something not right with it.
Ok I bookmarked the link first.

Upvote 0

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Yes you are right. This is the likely reason because he uses Hard_Configurator.
It needs to set at off for it to be shown.
View attachment 237363
From the manual:
RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR
<Hide 'Run As Administrator'> button hides/shows "Run as administrator"
option in Explorer context menu. It is useful when you choose to replace this
option by "Run As SmartScreen".
Set <Hide 'Run As Administrator'> to "ON" if <Run As SmartScreen> is set
to 'Administrator'.
Otherwise, it is better to keep <Hide 'Run As Administrator'> = 'OFF'.
REMARKS
When <Hide 'Run As Administrator'> is set to 'ON', then "Command Prompt
(Administrator)" option in Windows Power Menu, and "Run as administrator"
option in the Search context menu, are hidden too. Yet, in the Search
context menu one can use 'Open file location', and then use 'Run As SmartScreen'
to run executables (EXE and MSI). Furthermore with Recommended
Settings, the user cannot run files with extensions: BAT, CMD, CPL, and
MSC, from the UserSpace (= outside of 'Windows', 'Program Files', and 'Program
Files (x86)' folders). Normally, files with those extensions can be opened
using ‘Run as administrator’ from Explorer context menu.
"Run As SmartScreen" cannot fully replace the functionality of "Run as administrator",
because it supports only EXE and MSI files (for security reasons).
It should not be a problem, since files with BAT, CMD, CPL, and
MSC extensions are mostly run from the SystemSpace (= inside 'Windows',
'Program Files', and 'Program Files (x86)' folders), and their location in the
UserSpace, should be considered as suspicious.

Upvote 0

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Try this hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZJIzXWtYFI

How to login as built in administrator in windows 10

If you can't right click on cmd and run as administrator then this won't work for you. If it asks for a password and you don't know it then this won't work for you.

It is highly recommend if you can that you create a restore point before trying to unlock the built in administrator

The purpose of doing this is so if something goes wrong with the users administrator account, you can login to the built in one and hopefully fix the problem as the built in one will be unlocked.

If it asks you for an administrator password and you don't know the password then this won't work for you.

The three commands:

1) net users
2) net user Administrator /active:yes
3) net user Administrator *

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
As @SeriousHoax noticed, you can use H_C and set <Hide 'Run As Administrator> = OFF.
The "Run as administrator" entry in the Explorer context menu is visible by default on every Windows version (also Windows Home). It has nothing to do with a built-in (hidden) Administrator account - this account should not be activated by most users.

When using H_C, one has to be cautious with using "Run as administrator" entry, because the user will bypass SRP settings in H_C. Furthermore, if the file has not got MOTW then it will run with high privileges without SmartScreen check. On H_C ver. 5.0.0.0 and previous versions, the user on Windows 8+ can apply "Run As SmartScreen" to run applications with high privileges.

If one uses H_C ver. 5.0.0.1 beta, then "Run As SmartScreen" is replaced with "Install by SmartScreen" which works differently, but this is another story.

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Try this hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZJIzXWtYFI

How to login as built in administrator in windows 10

If you can't right click on cmd and run as administrator then this won't work for you. If it asks for a password and you don't know it then this won't work for you.

It is highly recommend if you can that you create a restore point before trying to unlock the built in administrator

The purpose of doing this is so if something goes wrong with the users administrator account, you can login to the built in one and hopefully fix the problem as the built in one will be unlocked.

If it asks you for an administrator password and you don't know the password then this won't work for you.

The three commands:

1) net users
2) net user Administrator /active:yes
3) net user Administrator *
As you can see in my first picture there's no 'Run as Administrator' in the command prompt when right clicked. I tried executing some commands in command prompt but there's an error message saying I don't have administrator privileges. Also, I don't have password set to access my laptop for now ......not yet

Last edited:
Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Yes you are right. This is the likely reason because he uses Hard_Configurator.
It needs to set at off for it to be shown.
View attachment 237363

If @HarborFront uses H_C, then why do we not even see RunAsSmartscreen or RunbySmartscreen in OP? And if he uses H_C, then reading the user guide, "Help" links and overall familiarity with the GUI is essential.

Or, has he hacked his OS with privacy tools? ;)

He needs to provide more info.

Upvote 0

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If @HarborFront uses H_C, then why do we not even see RunAsSmartscreen or RunbySmartscreen in OP? And if he uses H_C, then reading the user guide, "Help" links and overall familiarity with the GUI is essential.

Or, has he hacked his OS with privacy tools? ;)

He needs to provide more info.
Runbysmartscreen doesn’t show up in that context menu inside the start menu navigation. He needs a screenshot from an exe in a folder I believe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Sorry guys,

But I don't have H_C yet

I can't recall which up date was causing similar problems like yours recently but if you check back windows updates
or Askwoody vlogs you may find which update was causing those issues on other people pc's.
@Andy Ful All that I showed him is a means to an end not to run his pc like that plus he is no fool he knows about security and he now all i was trying to do is help him, when people post problems the first thing they get is assumptions stop assuming if you don't no their intentions,i didn't send him c4. In this thread i didn't assume he had on H_C, I just tried to help.
Is it similar to this:
Windows 10 KB4540673 crashes system, hides user data
March 13, 2020

We first reported that KB4540673 may cause Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) on a small subset of devices, but the number of people reporting the mess has increased significantly overnight.

Users have told us that they received BSOD errors multiple times after installing this cumulative update. They were able to boot to the desktop after successfully uninstalling KB4540673.

Temporary user profile bug
We are also seeing new reports of temporary user profile bug on Windows 10. People’s Start menus and desktops are reverting to their default states after they applied the cumulative update.
It appears this update could rename and move user profile to a new location.

“Windows installed the updates and welcomed me to my new version of Windows. Unfortunately yet again it could not log me into my account and provided another temporary account with a suggestion to log out and try to log in again,” a frustrated user also confirmed the bug in Microsoft’s forums.
Changing user profile back to its default settings is annoying and this is a very serious issue that needs to be addressed properly on Windows 10.
Posted on this page at wilders:Bork Tuesday, Any Problems Yet?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi guys

My IT friend this entire afternoon TeamViewed me and helped me but still to no avail. He set up a new admin account but still could not activate the administrative privileges. He advised me to reset my laptop saying that the cloning of the Win 10 Home by LG likely to have the administrative privileges being stripped off.

End up I contacted the LG rep and will be bringing down to the LG Centre tomorrow to have a look since my set is only 2 months old. I hope after the reset the Windows security patch issue can be solved too.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...................

Upvote 0

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@HarborFront,
If you do not use H_C, then probably some other application hid "Run as administrator" entry.
Please check the registry key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and look at the value HideRunAsVerb

Value (Dword)
0 "Run As Administrator" is not hidden
1 "Run As Administrator" is hidden

Upvote 0

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
@HarborFront,
If you do not use H_C, then probably some other application hid "Run as administrator" entry.
Please check the registry key:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
and look at the value HideRunAsVerb

Value (Dword)
0 "Run As Administrator" is not hidden
1 "Run As Administrator" is hidden
Ok I'm having the below. So is it hidden or not?

N4L1XNc.jpg

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.