Russian search giant Yandex made its own smart speaker

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Russian search giant Yandex has launched a smart speaker to compete with the likes of Amazon, Apple, and Google, the company announced today. The speaker, called the Yandex Station, is the company’s first attempt at hardware, and it’s equipped with a Russian-speaking voice assistant called Alice that was developed in-house.

Alice has over 4,000 skills such as hearing workout tips, finding flights, ordering pizza, and helping you cast video to TV. The smart assistant first appeared in Yandex’s mobile app last October, and the company has plans to bring it to its taxi business, which merged with Uber last year in Russia.

The Yandex Station is likely only going to be available in Russia, and it will cost $160 (9,990 rubles), providing locals with a more accessible and regionally adapted smart speaker than those offered by Amazon or Google. It will be available this summer, bundled with a premium subscription to Yandex music, streaming, and taxi services.

Is Yandex a respected company privacy wise? I know they're based in Russia which does not concern me much and I even used their web browser for a bit. I stopped using it after I set my default search engine to Bing; it would redirect my searches through trovi.com which is a browser hijacker. I had to manually add Bing as my search engine as selecting Bing from the preset of selectable search engines would lead to trovi.com. None of the other selectable search engines would redirect me through Trovi, just Bing. I could not trust Yandex anymore so I switched back to Firefox.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I stopped using it after I set my default search engine to Bing; it would redirect my searches through trovi.com which is a browser hijacker.
Opera based browsers (Vivaldi, Opera, Yandex) have that problem, since Opera has some kind of a deal with Bing, so Yandex has no choice.

Reactions: Weebarra and 37507

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.