Advice Request Ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x or GTX 1070 or RX580?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Custom build

or

Origin PC, Maingear PC, IBUYPower, or CyberPower PC
iBuypower is better. I won't trust Origin PC because they rip you off w/o constant BIOS updates and FW updates.
In about month i'll buy new pc. I'm not hardcore gamer but i do play FM, Fifa, NBA 2K, Madden NFL and sometimes FPS like COD or battlefield. I can't decide between amd ryzen 5 2600 or 2600x and GTX 1070 or RX 580. I know 1070 is better but is RX 580 good enough to run games on medium/high settings for next 3-5 years?
Get 2600x. If you have Freesync 2 monitor its best to go for or rx 580 or Vega. Then again, nvidia driver quality is complete garbage. Its worse than AMD crimson.
Like @Kuttz said get higher MHz RAM if you don't to fiddle with tweaking RAM timings. If you are fond of tweaking of tweaking, get Samsung B die 2667MHz in dual channel and OC like hell. They can do 3200MHz pretty easily.

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Your choice will depend if you looking to overclock your CPU in the future, if you looking to overclock in the future get the Ryzen 2600X, else get the Ryzen 2600.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Ryzen CPUs are unlocked. So in terms of oveclockability there's virtually no difference between these two.
Nonetheless, both are equally good options and I think it's all come down to OP's budget. If he can squeeze few more dollars then definitely 2600X is a better CPU. Otherwise 2600 should get the job done nicely since its base clock only 200 Mhz slower than 2600X.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think all Ryzen CPUs are unlocked. So in terms of oveclockability there's virtually no difference between these two.
Nonetheless, both are equally good options and I think it's all come down to OP's budget. If he can squeeze few more dollars then definitely 2600X is a better CPU. Otherwise 2600 should get the job done nicely since its base clock only 200 Mhz slower than 2600X.

The difference between 2600 and 2600X is XFR. As far as I understand, XFR is an Auto OC technology and it will OC the CPU as high as possible depending upon the cooling provided. Those who don't want to mess with long hours of manual OC and stability testing, features like XFR is handy.

Reactions: plat and Vasudev

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
The difference between 2600 and 2600X is XFR. As far as I understand, XFR is an Auto OC technology and it will OC the CPU as high as possible depending upon the cooling provided. Those who don't want to mess with long hours of manual OC and stability testing, features like XFR is handy.
Not accurate. All models have xfr if you pair with the new gen motherboards. The difference between the 2600 and 2600x is that they bin the easier to overlock cpu as 2600x to be able to get the advertised speed.

uduoix

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
where are you buying this PC? i can't find anything like this any where. :cool:
As someone said it is custom build.

SumTingWong i always buy Gigabytes, never had any problems.

So i already bought this pc (waiting for deliver)
Ryzen 5 2600
B450M
2x8 3200 ram (might add more later)
rx580 8gb
samsung 860 m.2 500gb
wd blue 2TB
be quiet 600W 80plus bronze

Reactions: Brie and harlan4096

redsworn

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 6, 2017
Not accurate. All models have xfr if you pair with the new gen motherboards. The difference between the 2600 and 2600x is that they bin the easier to overlock cpu as 2600x to be able to get the advertised speed.
Furthermore, aren't we supposed to turn XFR off if we're going to overclock the CPU?
Anyway, if I had to pick I'd go with 2600. It seems to hit the sweet spot for price-performance value.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Furthermore, aren't we supposed to turn XFR off if we're going to overclock the CPU?
Anyway, if I had to pick I'd go with 2600. It seems to hit the sweet spot for price-performance value.
It depends on usage. For 99% of users using only xfr will be the best option. These cpus don't overclock well anw when you try to do all cores so it will not make sense to do it if you don't video encode or things like that.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014

Ryzen 5 2600
B450M
rx580 8gb
samsung 860 m.2 500gb
wd blue 2TB
This time go for Asus or MSI because they use Aptio 5 BIOS and tools for making/patching updates after the products go EOL is easy. Hint is Win-raid.
A hint for you. Don't get 860 EVO M.2 versions because they don't have FW updates. Instead choose MX500 w/ FW updates.
I am still on 850 evo m.2 where in rare cases in Linux you get unbootable media bug. The same bug was fixed for 2.5" SATA SSD w/ a update. Damn Samsung! If you get a good deal on Micron 1100 SSD of 2TB then its good alternative to HDD.
But the mobo should be capable to handle xfr.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
But the mobo should be capable to handle xfr.
You are asking me or telling me? XFR works on all new gen motherboards (x470 and children) and on last gen motherboards(x370 and children) if they make a bios update for it.

Reactions: Vasudev

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
You are asking me or telling me? XFR works on all new gen motherboards (x470 and children) and on last gen motherboards(x370 and children) if they make a bios update for it.
I'm telling you. A TR1 user told me that XFR was a gimmick on budget mobo because it OC's CPU cores to max disregarding components used in the Mobo. He is using 1950x @4GHz. XFR almost thermal throttled or hit the TDP power wall of 500-600W on 16 core beast.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I'm telling you. A TR1 user told me that XFR was a gimmick on budget mobo because it OC's CPU cores to max disregarding components used in the Mobo. He is using 1950x @4GHz. XFR almost thermal throttled or hit the TDP power wall of 500-600W on 16 core beast.
It's not xfr fault but the user fault. He went ahead and bought a $600 or whatever cpu and put it on a potato motherboard. Xfr only cares about the cpu. If you went ahead and bought the wrong stuff you can't blame a feature.
Anw it's irrelevant to this users topic as he is not using anything like that and any decent motherboard will be fine for a few years at least.

tl;dr xfr is fine for most users and especially if you don't know what you are doing

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
It's not xfr fault but the user fault. He went ahead and bought a INR 42,924 or whatever cpu and put it on a potato motherboard. Xfr only cares about the cpu. If you went ahead and bought the wrong stuff you can't blame a feature.
Anw it's irrelevant to this users topic as he is not using anything like that and any decent motherboard will be fine for a few years at least.

tl;dr xfr is fine for most users and especially if you don't know what you are doing
Hahaaaa..... So you're saying its like pointing a gun at yourself and pulling the trigger to check if the gun and bullets work great!

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

Ryzen 5 2600
B450M
rx580 8gb
samsung 860 m.2 500gb
wd blue 2TB

Gigabyte and AsRock AMD boards have bad VRM. ASUS and MSI AMD boards have superior VRM.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.