Periodic malware scanners
Hitman Pro (licensed)
Zemana AntiMalware (licensed)
Malwarebytes AntiMalware
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Browsers : Firefox 64bit and Microsoft Edge
Extensions: Ghostery and Download Manager.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner and O&O Defrag

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Virtualization
1. VMware as testing security softwares, etc
2. Shadow Defender just in case.

To be honest, my password manager is written on paper. Is more secure at least in my place right now.

I'm testing a lot security softwares on VM for months now. No problem 'so far' ;)

Ok thats it guys.
"Better safe than infected"

PS: I use Norton ConnectSafe for this PC only (non-gaming)

UPDATE: Check out this thread, a test about my security config
Video Review - ESET Smart Security + Zemana AntiMalware prevention and detection test by safe1st

Last edited:

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
First of all, welcome to MalwareTips! We all hope you enjoy your stay here!

Now then, getting directly to the point: While I second the notion of simplicity, I believe that you should at least turn on the default Windows protection components: Windows Defender, Windows Firewall, and, optionally, SmartScreen.
The reason behind this suggestion is that, even though a user may be practicing safe computing/surfing habits, that small chance of a threat managing to attack the user's system, is always persistent (especially when it comes to a system that is constantly connected to the Internet, and even more so when web browsing takes place in that system - there is a chance for exploit-based attacks) - even if those attacks ultimately fail.
Again, this decision is completely up to you, however do note that the default Windows security features are light and unobtrusive.

Other than that, I would like remind you (as I do with everyone else, including myself :D) to make sure you have a system image of a known good configuration of your system, which you can use to restore that exact state in case of a disaster. (though I'm sure you've already got this covered :D)

Well, I guess that would be it. Perhaps you could consider the above suggestions; Though, as far as I'm concerned, you're good to go.
Thanks for sharing your config with us! :p

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have to agree with having at least some type of real time protection in place.
If you "sometimes install Avast free" why not just install it and leave it installed.
A sandbox is also a good suggestion.
Having one or two on demand scanners would not hurt either.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Why not expand to use password manager? Its a good investment cause your paper may lost or tear down which you need a Plan B.

Since you conduct a lot of reviews on VM without any problem, then likely follow the suggestions for on-demand scanners to scan and check for possible residue.

Avast Free is fine to suit your needs especially tweaking Hardening Mode for straightforward lock down.

H

hjlbx

It is simple.

But, you don't have any real-time protection? At least enable windows defender.
Try some more On-demand scanners...

Bitdefender Free is real-time protection - and - it is better than Windows Defender.

However, it does have quirks... user will not know that it runs in Auto-Pilot mode and will delete detected files without notification.

If user understands this, then it is good protection.

It can delete Internet Explorer home-page and causes problems with Firefox certificate detection since it installs its own certificate for HTTPS filtering - issues that Bitdefender has been unable to resolve for years at this point.

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

use a VM if you play with malwares

personally i rather keep Windows Defender than BD...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.