Advice Request Safest cloud storage site

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
In terms of privacy and security, I think services like SpiderOak, iDrive, or MEGA are fine. My family and I use Mediafire (Pro, 1TB) to upload all our photos and videos, and, for years, we didn't have any problems with this service. I chose it because is quite cheaper than other services, and because is a reliable company that have been with us for a long time.
For work, I use Google Drive.

Last edited:
Reactions: AtlBo and Overkill

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
The best way I have found is using Cyrptomator Cryptomator - Free Cloud Encryption it works with all major cloud services, you create a password protected encrypted vault on your cloud drive, put your pictures, videos etc... in the vault which stays encrypted in the cloud. Then you can just share the vault password with whomever you want to have access to your vault and it will be decrypted on their end.

I use it on my phone and workstation to share files between them on my cloud drive easy, safe and secure.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I must totally agree with you, Wave. This is the method I use. I use VeraCrypt - make containter - put files in - split and encrypt the containter via WinRAR and hapilly upload the file - without any worry - anywhere :) I mainly use MEGA, but I don't belive it's that secure anymore, and in addition, I use BaiDu - which I really don't trust. But they offer 1 TB of free space and since I am using double encryption (VeraCrypt - 60+ password, WinRAR - 500+ password), I really don't care what happens to my files and who can access them. I could post link here lol :D I store my passwords in KeePass with exremly long and complex password (master) which I have several backups of. To manage clouds, I personally use and can recommend - MultCloud. I upload files to MEGA via their client and then backup the files to BaiDu via MultCloud. I hope I helped.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Pearl96

Level 5
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Hello! If you want security you can go either for Mega or pCloud. For me I prefer pCloud as it is much cheaper and features some good security settings. For example there is a feature called pCloud Crypto it is much like a protected and encrypted folder for your private data. Give pCloud a try and you'll never regret!

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Here is another one to checkout, I don't know much about it but it appears to be similar to Cryptomator in that is does encryption and works with most cloud storage services. It is called Boxcryptor Boxcryptor | Encryption for cloud storage | Window, Mac, Android, iOS
I have been using Boxcryptor for over 2 years now without any issues, tho the free version only allows you to encrypt on 1 cloud storage. It never failed me yet.
might check out this cryptomator

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
Compared to pCloud, Sync.com is much less expensive. PCloud 500 gab with crypto costs 9.99$ a month while sync.com (encrypted by default and no need to pay for encryption) 500 gb for 49$ a year. I used both services. I can say that pCloud is faster and it supports Linux. Sync.com on the other hand is slower because of encryption and does not support Linux.

Reactions: ZeroDay

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
But pCloud offers lifetime subscription which is great!

Yes forgot to mention it. pCloud support WebDAV connection; you can encrypt your files using cryptomator. I don’t know if it’s secure to access a cloud using WebDAV connection.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I have been using Boxcryptor for over 2 years now without any issues, tho the free version only allows you to encrypt on 1 cloud storage. It never failed me yet.
might check out this cryptomator

The last I used cryptomator is was still a little buggy and looked a little unfinished, would definitely give it a shot but I wouldn't make it my only copy if the encrypted data is important to you.

Reactions: ZeroDay and Barakah

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
The last I used cryptomator is was still a little buggy and looked a little unfinished, would definitely give it a shot but I wouldn't make it my only copy if the encrypted data is important to you.
I’m using Cryptomator for Windows and iOS and never had any issues. There’s only one thing that should be brought to attention that as far as I know, iOS and Android app are not open source. But overall I am happy using Cryptomator and I even like it over Boxcryptor which is relatively expensive.

Reactions: ZeroDay

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I’m using Cryptomator for Windows and iOS and never had any issues. There’s only one thing that should be brought to attention that as far as I know, iOS and Android app are not open source. But overall I am happy using Cryptomator and I even like it over Boxcryptor which is relatively expensive.
yea that part kinda made it weird a bit, you even have to pay for the android app.
open source for windows, closed source/paid for android...

Reactions: ZeroDay and Barakah

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
yea that part kinda made it weird a bit, you even have to pay for the android app.
open source for windows, closed source/paid for android...
I got the iOS app for 4.99$ which is quite reasonable for such a service. But that it is not open source makes me sick.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014

The last I used it was probably over a year ago and I was using it on windows 10. I remembered it being buggy and there were occasional errors when I was decrypting my files.

Nice to see that it has improved over the years

Reactions: ng4ever and Barakah

Barakah

Level 3
Verified
Apr 13, 2018
The last I used it was probably over a year ago and I was using it on windows 10. I remembered it being buggy and there were occasional errors when I was decrypting my files.

Nice to see that it has improved over the years
I use it because I don’t trust Boxcryptor. The free desktop client and the so cheap mobile app are worth it. You might give it another try, you’ll like it.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
I use it because I don’t trust Boxcryptor. The free desktop client and the so cheap mobile app are worth it. You might give it another try, you’ll like it.
I run my updates using ARQ backup now, it has default encryption turned on and works perfectly with my setup.

For my offline backups I use veracrypt to create a container.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.