Advice Request Safety of this Config without running AV

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

I

illumination

There is not a user in this forum, that could answer this except you. How are your surfing habits, and maintenance habits "frequency of backups", is it a shared system, how are the other users habits "if applies", these are the questions you need to focus on. All users should focus primarily on their surfing habits, and then secondary on their security.

Chimaira

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
Yes, I have backups with Macrium. I am not connected to other computers through homegroup or anything like that.

I doubt I will keep my config without an AV for long. I just like searching for security that can completely protect without the need for an AV. :LOL:

P

plat1098

See, I don't trust any software implicitly--Windows taught me that. I place subtotal faith in two hardware items: an ordinarily disconnected external storage drive and a USB stick loaded with rescue media. That plus a well-maintained machine free of dust and other issues.

You ever get one of those chocolate sampler boxes? That's how I look at security programs--they all look tempting, eww I bit into the cherry one, OK, uninstalled, let me try this one, etc. Usually, arrangements like this come about via your own trial-and-error experiences.

Chimaira

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
See, I don't trust any software implicitly--Windows taught me that. I place subtotal faith in two hardware items: an ordinarily disconnected external storage drive and a USB stick loaded with rescue media. That plus a well-maintained machine free of dust and other issues.

You ever get one of those chocolate sampler boxes? That's how I look at security programs--they all look tempting, eww I bit into the cherry one, OK, uninstalled, let me try this one, etc. Usually, arrangements like this come about via your own trial-and-error experiences.

Yes, there is always a scenario where any security program will be bypassed and fail, or a bug will surface and let something past that it shouldn't have, but I think the right products you can trust in with a high amount of certainty.

Though I completely agree, secure backups and rescue media are safeguards that will save your butt 10 times out of 10. (y)

Reactions: AtlBo and frogboy

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
You can clearly see that his os is W10 under his profile pic.
People run different systems, you cannot be sure unless specified in thread post. What OS / Browser am I typing on at the moment?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.