Battle Samsung Galaxy S8+ or wait for iPhone 8 Plus?

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
"Ford makes the best cars." :rolleyes:

I never understood the emotion that accompanies smartphone buying decisions.

The best phone, as with any other tool, is the one that fits your personal needs.

If you find yourself hacking your way through the jungle you might prefer a bulky satellite phone you can open coconuts with.
If you like to be able to tinker with it, get an Android phone.
If you don't want to tinker get an iPhone. (More especially so if you own several other Apple devices)

I myself want from a phone that it "just works". That's why it's iPhone for me.

As for impending iSheep accusations: I use and administrate Windows, macOS and several GNU/Linux flavors. Love them all for their respective strengths in a particular use case.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Galaxy s8 is probably 2-3 years ahead of the iPhone. They won't be catching up anytime soon. Their continued support of older models with new OS's really harms their innovation.

I have both and iPhone 7s (work) and Galaxy s8(personal), and personally, I hate the iPhone. I feel very constrained when using it, it's like a toy for grandma and little girls and not a serious device at all. Speed wise, it's fluff.. iPhone operates differently, has a very closed ecosystem that allows for better optimization of apps but less control and flexibility for you the user.

Also a huge portion of the 'slight' speed advantage on iPhone is entirely because of the smaller, lower pixel count, older screens on them. Galaxy phones have to push 2960x1440 (570 ppi) on a big screen while iPhones still don't even do 1080P and only need to push a 750 x 1334 screen with a paltry 326ppi. What a joke...

Security/Privacy wise, Android is better. You can run some really nice security apps on Android you can't get on Apple. Also Galaxy allows you to REPLACE your default, insecure messaging app with Signal, on iPhone you can't replace the crappy default messaging app. There are a hundred reasons why a Galaxy s7 or s8 is better than anything Apple has or will have. Leave the iPhone stuff to your grandmother or teenage girl that is focused on brand identity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
iPhone operates differently, has a very closed ecosystem that allows for better optimization of apps but less control and flexibility for you the user

That's about the only objective statement in your post.

Might as well say that S8's are for kids who need 239 different launchers for "control and flexibility" reasons. On a side note:
  • Android is built on Google's services so we better not even consider talking about privacy. Google's never heard of it.
  • Last time I checked the Play Store was far ahead as source of malware, not Apple's AppStore.
  • The older iPhone 7 still runs circles around the new S8 on lesser hardware.
  • All major messaging apps are readily available as a replacement for iMessage.
  • Nobody ever needed 570 ppi on a frickin phone. Not everything makes sense just because it's possible.
  • The first time I've heard companies supporting older hardware is a bad thing.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Once again, any tiny speed difference is largely because one phone is pushing a low res, antiquated TFT LCD screen, the other one is pushing a high resolution 2K OLED screen. Yes, it's important and I really enjoy my nice screens.. iPhones hurt my eyes in comparison, their screens just look bad.

Fortunately for privacy nuts, they can do things like install proper no-root firewall that block ads/tracking, like Adguard. While iPhone you are pretty much out of luck. The cameras on Galaxy phones are better than the iPhone, period..

The choice isn't really even a choice.. If you want power, flexibility, a gorgeous screen and great camera you go with a Galaxy. If you are a brand loyalist that enjoys simplicity and doesn't care to configure anything, go with an iPhone. I have both sitting right here and I can be very objective about them and quite frankly, there is no comparison.

Reactions: Vasudev

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Low res. Right. Might wanna google that. But I guess a 500 hp car sucks because there are those with 600. If an iPhone screen hurts your eyes you have a medical problem. Up until a few years ago we had feature phones with 220x360 and nobody went blind because of it. There is only so much resolution a retina can compute and after that it's all the same. Since you're a brand loyalist, you probably fell for the popping, unnatural OLED colors. That's ok if you like it, but not everybody does. It's a preference.

As for Adguard, it's chugging along just fine on my iPhone. There's also a difference between being a "privacy nut" and not wanting to serve one's entire life to Google on a platter. Remember you cited privacy as a reason.

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Once again, any tiny speed difference is largely because one phone is pushing a low res, antiquated TFT LCD screen, the other one is pushing a high resolution 2K OLED screen.
Thats one reason. But have you seen the performance of Apple's processor? One thing Apple still make top notch is their A series processor. They're usually ahead of processors used in Android phones. Although there is 6 months gap in releasing processor between Apple and Qualcomm/Samsung, the newer one always scores better on benchmarks. But I've been told that Apple's processor architecture is superior to Qualcomm/Samsung ones. Not GPU though. Apple's slightly behind there. The powerful processor, the OS being lighter because it does less than Android, better background management compared to Android are the true main reason for iPhone being faster. To your screen resolution point, true that iPhones have low resolution screen, but look at iPads. They've high resolution and the iPad LCD screen is not as efficient as Samsung's AMOLED screen. You can say that tablet processor(AX) is better than smartphone's but that tablet processor has always been surpassed by Samsung/Qualcomm/Apple's smartphone's processor just few months after. I won't bring Apple performs better because of "optimization" because Apple is having many bugs and crashes issues lately. Not as optimized as in the past.
P.S don't call me iSheep because I'm just giving them credit where its due. I prefer Android myself because of Apple's iOS restrictions that I hate.
Note that I've taken these from some tech sites I visit and from few trusted users there. I may have posted some wrong info above. Feel free to correct me.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Hardware wise iphone 8 can't be more powerful than galaxy s8

That science is based on what exactly? Here's a single-core example:

9ce6df34-2291-4e9e-81e8-eb060c862357.png
More to be found here in the original article courtesy of Ars Technica.
The iPhone may not beat the S8 in all test, but in quite a few. We're talking about a device that's a generation behind the Galaxy.

Of course, not liking something is fine and well. Somebody's gotta buy their stuff. Doesn't change facts though.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

So your iPhone opens a SINGLE THREADED app into it's ancient TFT screen 0.08 seconds quicker than my s8 opens the same app onto a glorious 2K OLED screen? Congratulations.. Toms Hardware says s8 is the fastest overall in most categories. Also let's not neglect the elephant in the room - the poor iPhone antennas, wonky battery life and total lack of wireless charging.

There really isn't much of a reason to choose an iPhone these days to be honest. I have both and there really is no comparison. I used to recommend iPhones to people like my mother and father in-law, but these days with how good these Galaxies are, I tell them to stick with the Galaxies.

a_HR0c_Dov_L21l_ZGlh_Lm_Jlc3_Rv_Zm1p_Y3_Jv_Lm_Nvb_S82_Lz_Iv_Njc2.jpg

If you've been wondering whether Apple or Samsung makes the faster phone, you now have an answer: It's the Galaxy S8. -Tom's Guide

Reactions: Vasudev

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.