New Update Samsung's new Auto Blocker security on One UI 6 (Android 14)

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017

What you need to know​

• Samsung details its "Auto Blocker" security, which has arrived with One UI 6, beginning with malware protection when their device is connected via USB.
  • Samsung's Message Guard has been bolstered by Auto Blocker as the security feature now works with other apps like WhatsApp and Telegram.
  • Sideloading becomes a little easier to stomach as Auto Blocker brings a security feature that can help avoid malicious attacks like voice phishing.

Arriving with Samsung's One UI 6 (Android 14) software is a new security feature Galaxy device owners may want to pay attention to. Samsung is revealing details about "Auto Blocker," the latest security feature for Galaxy phones and tablets that users can customize to bring about protection that matters to their digital lifestyle.

One feature most users might enjoy is the ability to turn on "app security checks." This primarily works whenever your device is connected to another via USB, as it will continuously check for malware while also preventing detrimental commands and other software installations. Samsung adds it could help protect users when plugging their devices in to charge in an unknown environment.

To help ensure safety while using messaging apps, Auto Blocker enables Samsung's Message Guard to work with apps like WhatsApp and Telegram. With both security features working hand-in-hand, users can find Message Guard's Zero Click attack protection and its neutralization of malicious images in more apps than just Google Messages and Samsung's default app.

The rest

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Just upgraded to Android 14 with UI 6.0 for my SAMSUNG Galaxy 23 Ultra

Auto Blocker, if enabled, blocks apps from unauthorized sources

So what are the authorized sources? Samsung and Google Stores only?

Before the Android 14 upgrade............

I installed f-droid and downloaded Bitwarden from there. Bitwarden is greyed out under Accessibility. I went to Apps => Bitwarden App Info => App notifications but Allow notification is greyed out. Auto-fill feature not working with android app but I can auto-fill with the Bitwarden extension

I installed Mullvad VPN from f-droid and everything's ok. It's not listed in Accessibility. Similalry, I downloaded ExpressVPN directly from its website, working ok and it's not listed under Accessibility

I also downloaded BitDefender Mobile Security from apkmirror and it also greyed out under Accessibility. Greyed out causes some features unable to turn on since they need access under Accessibility. I can allow All notifications here.

However, I installed Kiwi browser from github and it's not shown up in Accessibility. I guess Github is one of the authorized sources.

Only recently I had this issue. Previously I don't have this issue. Or is it that SAMSUNG phone has McAfee protection and SAMSUNG Password Manager and that's why it's causing BitDefender Mobile Security and Bitwarden Password Manager accessibility issues?

Alfter a hard reset and upgraded to Android 14 the problems are still there

EDIT

OK, after I installed BitDefender Mobile Security and Bitwarden from Google Play Store now they are fully working. I think SAMSUNG is blocking apps from unauthorized stores even if Auto Blocker is turned off. Too bad its Web Protection does NOT protect Kiwi browser ie. Kiwi browser is NOT a supported browser

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
do you need to make a samsung account to use this feature?

Dont want to sign up to it.

If you are using a SAMSUNG phone you'll need to set up a SAMSUNG account. But for this Auto Block feature there's no need of an account. It's disabled by default. You just need to turn it on for additional protection.

trott3r

Level 1
Dec 3, 2017
I dont remember signing up for a samsung account with my s10e.

I have now uninstalled samsung store etc using android debug bridge

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Auto Blocker screen shot

The 'Block commands by USB cable' is great. Now you can charge your phone using a public charging point without fear of Juice Jacking

Recently, due to scams, many elderly and others lost a lot of money by being tricked to download rogue apps from meta, whatapps and other sites. It would be great for them to enable Auto Blocker

(y)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.