Sandboxie - No more Lifetime Licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCHatesMalware

Level 2
Verified
Dec 5, 2013
For the first year and a half that I used Sandboxie, I used the free version. The screen never bothered me but after a while, after I realized the value of Sandboxie, I had to have the license, not to get rid of the screen but to get every drop of juice that I could get out of it.

You could do with the free version most of the things that I can do with the paid version. It just wont be automatic but you can, learn how. Later, if you get to appreciate SBIE, you ll pay the money and it wont feel like nothing because you ll appreciate what you are getting.

Bo

The point that I was trying to make: is that I strongly dislike programs that nag me to register, especially those that are touted as free. I can understand a Trial Version doing that, as that is what you are getting, but a free version....no way!! If I want to register it, I will, but don't nag me about it. That rather turns me off to that program. There is another company that is bad about that, but I will not mention its name. Every time you turn around with their software, they are demanding that you "donate". That is a total turn off, as like I said above, if I like it I will register it, but do not demand that I do. I do not use their software anymore, either, because of the ridiculous nagging. And the tout some of their software as free, not trials.

I rather like Sandboxie, but if I get nagged constantly, then Sandboxie is in the trash.

Austerity

Level 1
Feb 9, 2014
Just like malware doesn't work against Sandboxie, cheating with Sandboxies license wont work either. In a few days, your malware license will stop working and its highly probable that your computer is infected right now. Guaranteed.

Bo

It's still working today. I've ditched SBIE completely though. If I could purchase it, I would. But not with the current form of licensing.

Reactions: Ramblin

gonwk

Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Q: how much was their Lifetime Price before this one year Expiration deal!?!?

Plus they should have warned folks before the Switch!

G! :)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Sanboxie and Bufferzone are now focusing on enterprises module, home users really don't need these kind of programs for protection.
If home users utilize UAC and pay attention to what they download, they will be safe.
If home users will not pay utilize UAC or pay attention to what they download more than likely they will not take time to learn how to setup and use these kind of products correctly. I'm sure it must be hard to sell sandboxing applications to home users but in a enterprise environment which are targeted by more advanced malware, these products still are very helpful. I'm afraid products for home users will soon be discontinued.

What I like about Sanboxie is the ability to run suspicious programs on demand to see what they will try to do to the system or to verify if they are safe products to install to your system. I have never ran trusted problems in the sandbox, there is simply no need to. I always pay attention to what I download and run on my system and I never run suspicious unknown files and always pay attention to UAC prompts and that has kept my system completely clean. Sandboxie to still useful for some advanced home users as a tool to check suspicious files but using Sandboxie in real-time is completely unnecessary just pay attention to your own actions and nothing will infect your system.

Thanks. :D

D

Deleted member 178

i uninstalled sandboxie few days ago, if i had to test some softs, i use Shadow Defender or Virtual Box

D

Deleted member 178

The program was not made to run suspicious programs, it was made to run all kind of programs. And that's what that means.

Sure, but i'm not wrong to say that running Ccleaner (downloaded from official site) in Sbie is quite useless ^^

D

Deleted member 178

Umbra, a lot of people that come to forums like to say, "I use common sense". Lets make those words mean something.

i never liked "common sense" , in a security point of view, it is the first step to a failure; what you "believe" is a safe move may not be...

Reactions: Ink

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
If you want to speak technical, it makes no sense to run Firefox in Sandboxie. Firefox does not automatically download malicious files, the user has to manually download files and manually execute them. Even if a malicious code in loaded in your temp files, it still can not automatically execute itself, the user will have to manually run the infected file and ignore UAC prompts to allow the execution to continue. Even vulnerabilities in Firefox (plugins like Java and Flash) or other browsers still don't allow malicious files to automatically execute themselves. The user has to do this manually. Now back when Internet Explorer 6 and below had Active X controls vulnerabilities, malicious files could execute themselves but now with modern browsers it is no longer possible. Of coarse many users get fooled into downloading fake files that pretend to be something else but they still have to manually run those files and ignore UAC prompts in order to get infected.

So unless you are easily fooled by fake files and don't know how to download files from trusted sources, running your browser in Sandboxie does not make no sense.

I browse all over the web including some bad infected websites and I never get any infection because when the download prompt appears, I simple cancel the download. I have not had one single infection not even any adware in over 10 years and I never run any of my programs in a sandbox. So running Firefox in Sandboxie is completely not necessary.

Thanks. :D

gonwk

Verified
Feb 4, 2014
Hi bo.elam,

Q1: Does SBIE Free version offer the stuff that you are talking about?
Q2: Does SBIE slow down the process?

Thanks!
G! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.